Long Range Elk

well, since I don't do facebook, why don't you tell us what it says

It's a video of a cow elk taken by John Armstrong at 2148 yards with a 338 Edge. Just north of Ely, Nevada.

BW

It's a video of a cow elk taken by John Armstrong at 2148 yards with a 338 Edge. Just north of Ely, Nevada.

BW

You mean to say a giant douche taking a risky, unnecessary shot to inflate his ego

Kind of figured this is what I would get from a bunch of tight assed pricks. We shoot these distances every day. Thought there were a bunch of assholes on this site now I KNOW!!!

BW

Kind of figured this is what I would get from a bunch of tight assed pricks. We shoot these distances every day. Thought there were a bunch of assholes on this site now I KNOW!!!
BW

No need to watch a jack-@$$ that would do something like that. Shoot 5 miles if you want, just not at live animals. Maybe you could hold a target for him since I'm sure you guys never miss.

Chalk me up as a tight ass prick that thinks shots at distances like that on animals disgusting.

It takes a hell of a lot of skill as a shooter to make a shot like that, but he day I can't get closer than 2k yards to an elk is a pretty sad day.

These videos and shows never show the wounded animals and the ones they cant track if they did hit well. In my opinion like others said, obviously horrible "hunters" with no skills other than shooting at long distances. They'd starve back in the old days

BW

Animals aren’t steel gongs. I don’t care how often you shoot, there’s going to be wounded animals attributable solely to the fact you are shooting them at long distances. That is unacceptable to me.

Y'all all said it.

I don't Facebook, and don't take a shot over 300 yards with my 7 mag. And I practice a lot, 1.5" groups at 300 yards. This would not interest me. But I also don't bow hunt I have lost two animals to a string with good shots. I don't judge bow hunters but I won't strimg hunt anymore. But I would never take a shot with a rifle just to brag at the distance.

BW

Here's an idea. Rather than call the hunters on this site a "bunch of tight assed pricks" and "assholes," I suggest you pack your keyboard and take it to some other site, maybe a site where people don't give a shit about the image of hunting, a site where folks confuse the mechanical act of shooting and (do so with remarkable precision) with the very personal act of taking the life of another living creature for food (hunting), a site that promotes and condones the unnecessary wounding of animals in an effort to notch a new personal best, and in the process keep your opinions out of here. Statements like that quoted above aren't welcome here and neither are the people who make them.

As the owner of this joint, a site that is full of accomplished hunters and conservation volunteers you call pricks and assholes, I will help you with that effort.

200x200px-ZC-8fe77385_39400-Val-Kilmer-you-may-go-now.gif

I have to admit a couple of things....

#1. I am set up to shoot long range with a couple of different rifles. And am able to do so very effectively after a lot of practice.
#2. I have shot a cow elk a long ways away a few years ago b/c my ego led me down that path. It was a 1 shot kill, no wounded animal.
#3. The feeling after I killed her was the worst feeling I had while "hunting". I was surprised that I wasn't pumped at all. It was quite the opposite for me. I felt like a dink for having done that and didn't feel like a hunter at all. I felt like a shooter, nothing more.
#4. Going forward, I still hunt w/ my long range set up b/c its like a broken in baseball hat...its just part of me. HOWEVER, I always try to get as close to that elk as possible. Nothing makes me more excited than the sneak on a wary critter. To me, that's what hunting is all about!

Long range hunting will always be a controversial topic....and I don't feel either side will ever leave as a declared winner as long as its legal.

2,148 yards is nearly one and a quarter miles.

Really helps resolve the checkerboard ownership issue, seeing as how one section of land is something one could just shoot across and over.

It's impressive. But in a "damn that kid is good at this video game" kind of way.

I had a couple PMs with the guy and suggested to him pretty much what Randy stated. mtmuley

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back