Caribou Gear

Long Range Elk

Hitting a target at over a mile takes skill. Shooting at living animals over that distance is unacceptable. The time of flight of that bullet is a relatively long time and the animal can move a long way. This will as others have said lead to wounding more often than not as the energy drop will not kill with anything but a perfect shot.
In the U.K. There may be many things between the rifle and the animal at that range who would not thank a bullet passing overhead but I guess it's different in the US but how could the guy with the trigger be sure?

I am a humane hunter who hunts to kill with one shot cleanly and enjoys the skill of getting close and also of eating the rewards. That doesn't always happen even out to 300yards but it is rare and very upsetting when it doesn't.

This guy has skill and is obviously a well practiced target shooter. I question whether he is a hunter and also does our sport any credit. He would not be my choice of hunting buddy but each to his own.

BE

In my less than humble opinion.....

A killer is a guy who treats an, let's say bull elk, like a non living target and smokes it at 947 yards with his Kestrel, finely tuned rifle, a $1467 optical wonder, and his ballistics app on his smart phone .

A hunter is a guy who sees a , let's say buck antelope, at a mile away. Plays the wind, uses the miniscule amount of topography available, and the stubby greasewood and sage for any cover as he takes an hour to avoid (usually unsuccessfully) the prickly pear - which will work their way from his knees in three months - crawling to within maybe 123 yards of the super vigilant critter. He watches and hears it take it's last bite of grass as he pulls the trigger.........

Just me, but long range hunting is more boring than controversial............................

I am just getting into long range shooting, but notice I said shooting not hunting. I have no desire to try & kill an animal at long range. I like bowhunting & getting in as close as possible is my favorite part of the hunt. I don't like long range hunting & I think its bad for our sport. I know some guys do alot of practice shooting to become good, but to me long range hunting
isn't hunting. Thats just my opinion!!

Last edited:
Y'all all said it.

I don't Facebook, and don't take a shot over 300 yards with my 7 mag. And I practice a lot, 1.5" groups at 300 yards. This would not interest me. But I also don't bow hunt I have lost two animals to a string with good shots. I don't judge bow hunters but I won't strimg hunt anymore. But I would never take a shot with a rifle just to brag at the distance.

This statement bothers me just about as much as the original video of this thread. It wasn't a very good shot if you lost the animal now was it?

Count me in the tight-a$$ prick camp. Glad to see many others on this site there as well. Kudos to Randy for handling it as he did. Hunting is something I hold extremely dear to me and I despise it being represented in this way.

In the Corps we were/still are required to qualify out to 500 yds (Not Meters), with just iron sights. But then again, we are aiming at a full body target from a prone position, a tight sling and on a range. Amazing how hard that is. I could usually make 8 out of 10, not in the kill zone, just hitting the Damn thing....and I was Good.

THAT is the limit of my 'Long Range' shooting and still is.

Practice all you want beyond that, but in my mind your just asking for trouble. Too many variables, especially in the field.

I am happy you shoot at these ranges every day, but how much does that steel move? I would be more impressed if you were shooting Prairie Dogs at 1200 to 1500 for a rancher, not elk. Fin said it the best.

Great shooting is not necessarily great hunting. Impress with with a video of you shooting a big bull at 15 yds with a bow.

I shot an elk with a rifle once at 27 feet. If I had a video, this tight assed prick would post it.

Really wish this long range fad would go away. 300 yards is a good self imposed limit for myself & kid. Too much "what if's" past that range for me.

I shot an elk with a rifle once at 27 feet. If I had a video, this tight assed prick would post it.

hahahaha!! I'll be more impressed watching your video than what was posted.

If the animal is calm, I can't help myself but try and sneak in closer, I guess that's just the hunter in me though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back