Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Liver, Heart?

Elk & deer heart is a delicacy...also liver & onions w/brown gravy. Have had Tex Mex beef lengua...a bit tough but tasty.

Nothing better then fresh heart and liver the night of the kill (especially good with a little alcohol) This year since my sons were away at college for a few of my kills I vac sealed the goodies and they were just as good a month later!

I fully intended to try deer heart this year. Either as tacos or battered and fried with onions. I kept the heart of the spike buck I shot this year and tossed it into the body cavity after field dressing it. I looked back after dragging it through snow and slush all the way across a field and saw it had fallen out way back a ways. Didn't want to trudge back through and retrieve it. Now I'm sorry I didn't. The liver was blown apart, so that stayed behind.

Emrah

I might try the heart at some point. To think that what you leave in the field goes to waste is kind of silly though. Bears, coyotes, fox, bobcats, wolves, crows, magpies, among others will take care of the rest and I sure would call it wasting.

Heart is great, whether deer, elk or antelope. Sometimes I fry it, sometimes boil it and use for sandwiches. Elk liver is the best. I only eat it fresh though. Somebody told me antelope liver was pretty good. Anybody ever try it? I meant to this year, but shot placement and choice of bullet prevented it. mtmuley

Last edited:
I might try the heart at some point. To think that what you leave in the field goes to waste is kind of silly though. Bears, coyotes, fox, bobcats, wolves, crows, magpies, among others will take care of the rest and I sure would call it wasting.

And how do most hunters feel about those predators eating said deer/elk? Nothing like giving them a nice dose of easy fat and calories before winter. I can leave a $1 on the ground in the city too, it won't go to waste because some bum will come pick it up and make sure it's not wasted. ;)

On a serious note, my post was about the context, for the effort we put in to hunt, and to not take the some of the most nutritious portions of the animal, yes we are "wasting" it.

I've had deer heart once and liked it, but haven't tried any liver. That said, if this weekend goes well I'll try to save 'em and give them a whirl. Hopefully I have plenty to choose from! :D

I grew up eating deer liver. Prior to cooking we soaked it in milk. Sliced thin, flour coated with seasonings. Panfried with onions and bacon. In college, our Fraternity cook told us if we got a game animal she would prepare the heart. Beer battered and fried. I liked it better than the liver.

I won't carry out an elk liver on my back. Too damn big. While my father really enjoys it, I don't feel like I'm missing anything if we don't eat it. I am investigating some other alternatives like pickling and making a Pate'.

I loved the Pickled tongue we have at Basque restaurants. Come to think of it we could do that in camp easily.

I really like deer liver but am not a fan of the heart just because of the texture. I have saved the liver from elk in the past but I don't like them near as well as deer.

I keep the heart and we'd mix it in with trimmings for sausage. I do have reservations about eating the digestive organs in large animals as that is where the toxins of their diets typically end up. I know it's not really an issue unless you eat a lot (likely tons) but I just can't get past the thought that those organs were designed to clean the blood & urine of some potentially nasty stuff.

Liver tastes good with a side of isolation ale, mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
its dam big per above, but i can't help but take a quarter or half and throw it in the gallon big ziploc, and go celebate!
heart is fair imo. that stays.
rocky mountain oyters are good too. you did not ask, but i'm tellin'.
(elk, I do not do this with deer or speedgoats)

The first year I hunted anything other than birds I shot a mule deer on Halloween. Since I had never dressed a big-game animal, my Wife came out of the house and read the instructions from a book on how to field dress it while I tried to follow along with the knife. The liver was the first thing to come out and she ran into the kitchen to start frying it. I had never eaten any organ meat before. I kept working on the carcass until she came to tell me the liver was ready. I went inside, washed up a little, and sat down in front of the TV to try some liver. I took a bite and heard the TV get loud. When Iooked up Jason Vorhees is stabbing a nurse brutally. Friday the 13th is on. I just couldn't eat the rest and have been giving away the organ meat since. It didn't taste bad though.

Im just finishing up my butchering and vac packing and am thinking of tryin heart thru my burger grinder?im not sure of the texture? has anybody tried it ground?any recipes?Im kinda tired of heart n onions always?

Dan I've got a link to a recipe down below. I love the heart liver tongue, but have had enough lungs for the time being.

Ever look at a fresh cat kill? Seems like they eat a hole in the ribs to get at the heart/liver/lungs and eat that first. Most nutritious part of the animal and they are never sure when something bigger might come along to steal their elk. If you are hungry, and haven't had meat in a while, innards are where it's at.
That said I usually cut the liver/heart into half pound pieces and freeze it separately. Many dishes my wife cooks use finely chopped liver/heart to add flavor, and it's nice to have some around so it will last all year. Elk liver is pretty big.

Now for my recipe. It's Fermented Elk Liver Sausage. I guarantee you haven't had it like this before Dan. http://laobumpkin.blogspot.com/2011/12/mum-fermented-elk-liver-sausage.html

I absolutely love liver. Look forward each season for a chance to eat fresh liver. Like the heart as well toung makes great tacos

I love the heart. I soak it in a brine with garlic and pepper then boil it. Sliced realy thin with horseradish it is my favorite sandwich meat - fine grained and tender. I am the only one in my family who will touch it which is great because I get them all to myself

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back