Caribou Gear

Liver, Heart?

You know you have a cool mother in law when she's coming over to spend the weekend and the first thing she asks my wife is...."is John making deer heart and liver while I'll be there?"

If your making sausage, heart is just that much more that can go in the mix

I saved the heart and liver from my cow this year. I hadn't eaten liver since I was a kid and then it was beef liver in a plastic container sitting in blood. Still liked it though, fried up with onions and topped with ketchup. Over the holidays I did the same thing with a portion of my elk liver except I soaked it in water and lemon juice before I fried it up. Excellent. I'll never leave it behind again. I like the heart too but man, it's super filling. My son, brother and I split a WT buck heart this season and we all had to stop before it was gone because we were all uncomfortably full!! My 7 year old daughter is really looking forward to me cooking up that elk heart in the freezer. I also thought about making some jerky with it, not sure how that would work out.

Elk/deer heart is excellent. Smoke it with a little salt & pepper.. delicious.

I keep wanting to try the liver of my deer, but haven't done it yet. I do pickle the deer hearts though. I used Steven Rinella's recipe and it is pretty good. I've also fried up the heart with onions and peppers. I enjoyed it, but I like it pickled better.

Can't bring myself to eat organs. Too many necropsies under my belt. Will slice and dice 'em in the field if something looks funny, but they always stay out there for the other critters to eat.

But that could start some sort of elk zombie apocalypse...take the heart and liver :D If we thought EHD and CWD was bad, wait until we see zombie elk :cool:

Not even an exaggeration to say that heart is my second most favorite cut off whitetail deer next to the back straps. I just cut it in thin strips, dust in flour and cook it in bacon grease. Maybe like a minute to 2 minutes tops per side.

Liver is pretty much the same..dust in flour, cook in bacon grease with onions. served with a onion and bacon gravy and mashed potatoes.

My grandfather was a butcher so we ate plenty of fresh beef liver. Never cared for the taste or texture of live, beef or big game. Now I do love heart sliced and rolled in flower and fried up. It's great for breakfast with eggs and pancakes. It's been a while since I've eaten beef tongue but it was very good. I've never tried elk, deer, or antelope crowd.

Heart is good.
David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back