Caribou Gear

LIVE ... Up-to-date AK !!!

POST PENDING.. still uploading stuff.....

Day 2

My door was decorated with a Picture. Each door here has a little picture or name on it. I think I like my door sign, I'm going to bring it home !!

30.jpg

The morning was great again with a nice breakfast in the Kitchen. Jennifer not only cooked up a great meal but had our Lunch sandwiches already made and waiting with little mustard packs all wrapped up.....

We hit the water just after daylight. Here is a picture of JOHN and my dad in the boat. John is my dads boss and a Top knotch guy. He brought us out in his Jet boat loaded with Decoys, a shotgun for me and also packed us lunch. Man we're not going hungry up here !!!

31.jpg

32.jpg

We headed down the river and up the side river that we planned on. heading up the river I figured we were going to see something around every bend !!!

33_284874.jpg

Finally, I saw ...Well... "ME", Moosie was standing there eating grass. It's amaising how quick they are there then how quick they are gone. Fortunately I have a Good camera and got a couple pictures off the 8 seconds we saw him :

34.jpg

35.jpg

Our Friends were out again today in full force. I never get tiered of looking at these big birds, Man do they look cool !!!!

36.jpg

37.jpg

As we con't down the river we saw a Merganser. Nice bird, very friendly. Kept coming in close for a Photo OP.

38.jpg

It had something goofy with the back of it's neck. almost like a little bite or something taken out of it... wierd :

39.jpg

40.jpg

So we con't dow nthe river untill we hit a Native Alaskan's trappers shack. It was percheed high up on a Hill. this dude set it up right. John knew the trappers son so we pulled over and walked up to his place :

41.jpg

He had out the bear "WELCOME MAT". It's what the locals call it when they bang nails through a board so the bears have to step on them before they bust down the door to the place. It doesn't always work but it sure deters them...

42.jpg

I only had the 300mm lens so I couldn't take any close shots of the inside of the Cabin. It was a nice rustic cabin with cans of foos and a bunk bed. It had an old woden stove and was pretty neat to see. John says that trapper lives there in the winter. I couldn't imagine that for one week let alone a winter. He had a Sign in sheet at his place with signatures on it. Usualy about one group every month or two. It was prety far in !!!

Walking back out we crossed a Nice bear track :

43.jpg

We ate lunch while we were docked and told a couple hunting stories. Then we started heading back not seeing anything else at first.

We headed back out the river and..... HOLD on, I jsut realized I didn't take any pictures of the Duck I shot !!! Dang it... OHH well. Anyways, we see this duck so we kill the engine and start floating towards it. some law about not even having the motor in the water so John lifts it out and we float. It seems like for ever and it rains a little and finally we go around the corner were it was and there was 2 of them. I took a crack at the far one as it flew and then the Closer one took off and I nailed it.

that being said, no pictures so you have to believe me !!!

So it was Dumping like buckets by this time off and on and Our crap was getting S-OAKED !!

We got to the spot were we spotted the bear yesterday and didn't see it. I pulled out the binos and ... uhhhh wait a min, there it is !!! Right in the same area with a pile of Fish. We dropped the Anchor and looked at it through the bino's.

44.jpg

If you look real close you can see an EAGLE to the Left in the tree and the Head of the Bear in the Bottom Right.

As you can tell a little it was raining. when you get the camera and bino's out everythnig got wet right away. Sucky, but welcome to AK I guess !!

We sat in the boat talking about it.... Same deal, Shoot ? don't shoot ? Shoot ? don't shoot...... Alright, Get out the Range finders and ....342 yards. Way to far in a boat thats anchored but moving up and down with waves.

We fire up the Boat after the bear tucks in closer to the tree because of the rain falling harder. We crank up the engine and go upstream and coast back down. We're about 175 yards now. When the Bears chest (or close enough) comes into view dad drops the Anchor.

we glass it again, or try to, dang bino's are full of water. I put the Scope on it and see a 1/2 bear 1/2 fuzz water blur !!!! DAD has a BAck up bead on it and even though its raining I pull out the Camcorder and give it to John.

Now John, Bless his Heart, Isn't a Camera guy. He did let me know from the get go but I had faith in him. Jsut zoom out, find the bear, zoom in, and hold it on him. Well this lesson took a little as the bear stood up and went in the Trees a little. I figured I'm either going to get it or not.

It is in the tree's as John learns the fine art or zooming and hitting the record button.. hehe.

The bear steps out one more time and my dad wasn't ready for the BAck up. John got a Cam corder bead on it and I was busy Whipeing my Scope with Toilet paper that was soaked as it continues to dump.

The second I got a bead on it, and John said he was ready.... KABOOM !!!!

The bear turned and Jumped up the bank. We played back the Video and John did have it on but when the Gun went off I think he thought I was Shooting more ducks because the Camera went straight to the SKY .. hehehe. That happens even to the best of us !!!!!

We went over and Glassed the area and didn't se any blood. We hiked to the Left and dad was in the lead and saw a glimpse of it down. As we filmed and walked over John help the gun in it's direction and DAD poked it. YAh, I was in the Back ready to run.... J/K on the running part.

So, after 2 of the 4 days I had to hunt my bear was down and tagged :

45.jpg

46.jpg

Notice us Squinting and the Fuss dot's in the picture. We had (NO LIE) about 1 Ga-MILLION-ZILLION Fetching flying little Rat sucking, buzzing ,agrivating, biting little chits in our face !!!! No sooner did I pull the trigger the rain stopped and Bug sitty opened up !!!!

Anyways, Here is a couple more pics :

47.jpg

48.jpg

And one for the "BOOKS".. hehehe :

49.jpg

Another Friend drove by in his boat while we were watching this bear and Drifted by as we watched it for 5-10 mins and Relocated and he hung up several hundred yards down the river until we shot. He came over after wards to help but we had it under control. Here's Rich in his boat :

50.jpg

He took a few Pictures of us i nthe River and then we were on our way :

51.jpg

We got back and finished skinning it out at the Base in the Fish skinning room and put it on Ice. I need to check it in with fish and Game Monday morning or I'd call to Head back to Idaho sooner to See the Wife and Kids. I've been out and About so Much I forgot what they look like *wink*

Anyways, another Guy was gonig out in the Morning so we're tagging along. I'll have "DAY 3" with more pictures tomorrow.

Thanx for reading and the Comments. I know it's not the "BOOK BEAR" that everyone comes to AK to take but I like it. It will make a Nice mount. I never threw a tape on it knowing it wasn't a Big bear but it will hover around the 6.75'-7' mark. It's hide is Kick "A" which is a good thing. My wife was happy I didn't shoot one of those "BIG UGLY SCAREY" ones. I told her I didn't want to jsut to make her happy....

What I didn't tell her was Next year, I'm coming Back for one !!! BOOOOYAH !!!!!!!

Peace out, Yo !

Papa you are the Man.. those are some cool pics and even your added B.S makes for great copy..hump .. I Would have to shoot a nice bear like the 1st one....Keep up the good work ,,, your very entertaining....Love those Pics..:) :)

Congrats moosie. That bear will look nice as a rug. hump
P.S. I'm sure you just mistyped it but that bird is a cormorant and they are on about the same level as the white headed buzzards you have so many pics of. :rolleyes:

Very nice Oscar. Time for fishing now?

TK, way to catch the ornithologist....again.;)

Way cool, congrats on the bear. I may just have to pack my "flip flops" along on my deer hunt this fall.

Yep Moosie - we all know how good you are at holding out for a bigger animal ;) Next year should be a monster.

Congrats on the bear - cool story. Love the day-to-day updates.

Very cool dude! You da man Moosie.:cool: And the flip flop shot is going to be a hard one to beat. I think T Bone has a shot at it up on the side of a cliff with Big O though:D Very cool:cool:

Excellent series of events there Moose Man! Congrats on the successful hunt. The flip-flops are a must on an Alaskan bear hunt - don't leave home without them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back