PEAX Equipment

Let's stir the pot here

Yep 100%, those damn participation trophies they were giving out in the 1940s started it. At military bases no less...

Or maybe it was participation trophies in the 1920s that caused the great depression!

This one was at a University too, must have been a safe space.

Funny..... that’s like comparing apples to oranges, we give out T-shirts to everyone that signs up and participates in the Idaho bow fishing championship..... that’s a little different than giving a trophy to a bunch of persons that get there feelers hurt cuz they didn’t win! Practice harder, you have to be good at something too win at it!
Example, took me 8 years of 8-10 plus tournaments a year, countless days practicing too become the 2018 World Champion bowfisherman! Did I cry for not winning, hell no! I worked and practiced harder! Something missing in a lot of society today!
Matt

Funny..... that’s like comparing apples to oranges, we give out T-shirts to everyone that signs up and participates in the Idaho bow fishing championship..... that’s a little different than giving a trophy to a bunch of persons that get there feelers hurt cuz they didn’t win! Practice harder, you have to be good at something too win at it!
Example, took me 8 years of 8-10 plus tournaments a year, countless days practicing too become the 2018 World Champion bowfisherman! Did I cry for not winning, hell no! I worked and practiced harder! Something missing in a lot of society today!
Matt

Why can't we compare apples and oranges? They are both fruit. And how are those old articles not examples not participation trophies? They were giving awards for participating in exercises and other sports not just the winners. And they weren't handing out t-shirts.

And I know plenty of people in their 50s and 60s with finisher medals for running in races they were in the bottom 50% of. Some say they won't do a race if they don't get a medal at the end.

Unless you're highly specialized, there isn't that much money to be made in medicine....and Johns Hopkins list iatrogenic causes of death at #3 on the list of leading causes of death in the US. So maybe there's a shortage of geniuses there.
Can confirm on point 1.

To point 2. Just to play devils advocate, if someone drinks heavily and has a terrible diet for their entire life, refuses to see a doctor till their late 60s, is diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and then the physician prescribes a medication that causes their already stressed kidneys to shut down killing the patient... is that patients death really iatrogenic?

Can confirm on point 1.

To point 2. Just to play devils advocate, if someone drinks heavily and has a terrible diet for their entire life, refuses to see a doctor till their late 60s, is diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and then the physician prescribes a medication that causes their already stressed kidneys to shut down killing the patient... is that patients death really iatrogenic?

Totally agree, just highlighting a broader issue related to health care. It's like the complaints about medical costs when as a society we are unhealthier, obese, inactive and have terrible eating habits due to the prevalence of cheap, subsidized processed food. There's a big nugget there too in relation to deaths/costs.

Can confirm on point 1.

...can confirm wllm didn't have to google

If only a place existed on earth where people’s from all over the world, people of different religions, race, culture, sex, economic means, could come to freely express their ideas, realize economic mobility, and live free from persecution by their neighbor or the hands of an oppressive government.

Good thing we have people now who are intelligent enough to “fix” it.

Why can't we compare apples and oranges? They are both fruit. And how are those old articles not examples not participation trophies? They were giving awards for participating in exercises and other sports not just the winners. And they weren't handing out t-shirts.

And I know plenty of people in their 50s and 60s with finisher medals for running in races they were in the bottom 50% of. Some say they won't do a race if they don't get a medal at the end.

Stirring lol
Matt

What happened to understanding where your opponent came from to work towards a common compromise?

My simple answer, "follow the money". Harmony and cooperation doesn't pay the bills. Cable news, internet bloggers, political parties and candidates' re-election funds ring with every fear mongering, sky is falling morsel. Just like we make fun of, "Obama is the greatest gun salesman in history", frankly, our Twitter in Chief has been the greatest fundraiser in democrat history - their coffers are overflowing.

The "political/news/social media complex" only makes money when they stir the pot. Nobody sends in money when a politician says, "even though we have challenges, objective data shows that Americans have never had it better - and in the case of our current challenges I am sure my opponent and I can find a common ground answer". No, they have to say, "It has never been worse, our society is dying, if you don't send me money to vanquish my evil opponent you are doomed - act now to save us all" or they are out of money and out of office. Same for TV and internet blogs - "things are ok" and "we can find middle ground together" headlines don't drive "clicks". No hype, no cash. Shame on all of us for being the sheep that fill their coffers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaDon
Back