Caribou Gear

Legit ATV use?

In the mining country of west-central Montana, there old roads up nearly every gulch and down nearly every ridge. Though alot of ATV users abuse the land, it's been hard in the past to get a sense of what they are doing, mainly because so many open public land roads exist in this area. I own one, and they really do serve a purpose when the snow flies or the road gets terrible. I'd rather get an ATV stuck than my truck. Summer rides are refreshing on the high ridges.

Over the last decade or so, I have noticed that the Beaverhead-Deerlodge and Helena National Forests have been closing and reclaiming many of the old mine trails, and it's good. I've been impressed with some of the roads they've erased from the map. They're impassible in many instances for ATVs, and during hunting season, especially when there is snow on the ground, they really have protected decent sized areas from motorized pressure.

In the last decade though, antler shed hunting has become more popular as well. And I have found many instances,(many this year) where people on dirtbikes have drove around the gates or up the ridges while looking for sheds. They can cover significant ground quickly. Open windblown ridges and south facing meadows are antler-hunting destinations that also happen to be the first country accessible to a motorcycle when spring arrives. An ATV may not be able to make it around some gates, but an elk trail through some miserable northside timber is a joyride to a guy on a dirtbike. It is so hard to keep them out. Even if the reclamation is done well, they seem to find a way. They can go so many places.

The country is too big, the funding too low, and we can't just rely on the authorities out there. There aren't enough of them.Those of us who use public land need to be Self-policing- reporting and/or confronting people on dirtbikes and ATVs. Public shame can be a heck of a motivator.

ATVs and bikes for shed hunting is a great way to stress out pregnant does and cows and lead to miscarriages. Ban them all.

Anything can be abused, we see it every year even from some of the "leaders" of our hobby.

By taking the draconian approach to a ban though, you're just giving the anti's fuel for their fire.

Unless you have buy in from all game wardens and other LEOs, I'm not sure this approach helps much. I've had varying luck with raising interest from G&F types and Forest Service to people riding in "closed" areas. If they made a push and nailed some people with sizable fines, I suspect the word would get around pretty quickly. Money talks, you know the rest. I've heard irreparable sidewall damage can be an expense...

When I was hunting last year I saw boot tracks in areas that were posted as no trespassing. I personally witnessed some lazy slob hunters wearing boots and trespassing and poaching.

I think boots should be outlawed. If people had to go barefoot they wouldn't be able to walk as far and therefore wouldn't be trespassing and poaching.

Makes complete sense to me.

Yep

When I was hunting last year I saw boot tracks in areas that were posted as no trespassing. I personally witnessed some lazy slob hunters wearing boots and trespassing and poaching.

I think boots should be outlawed. If people had to go barefoot they wouldn't be able to walk as far and therefore wouldn't be trespassing and poaching.

Makes complete sense to me.

Yep, and as long as we are banning things, I guess that we should just ban all motorized vehicles.
a few people break the law every day driving them. speeding, texting, driving intoxicated, these acts could kill people.
So I guess we should ban them from everyone.
it makes sense to me.

Kevin

Funny this came up again.

I do use that Yamaha a couple times a year to access trailheads that are really rough on my truck. That's about it.

Keep it legal!

+!
And as far as keeping it legal...

We have a LEO in our group and has to bring his *company* truck to camp in case he gets called out. Kind of nice that it has cut down on some of the BS that has gone on in our area in the past.

Funny this came up again.

I do use that Yamaha a couple times a year to access trailheads that are really rough on my truck. That's about it.

Keep it legal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back