MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2023 controlled hunts

WildWill

The 2023 controlled hunts are out. Some changes couple new deer hunts, some new scheme where you can get your name in more then the 3 or 5 choices given for $3 apiece but can only apply once per hunt code (like Texas). But most importantly this year the assisted elk hunts in the Wichita nwr have been reduced and the walk in hunts have been increased. Interesting as these walk in hunts only started a few years ago but are now appearing to phase out the assisted. Talked with one of the guy's who assist on the NWR elk hunts the other night at the RMEF banquet he said that the ODWC plans to eventually phase out the assisted hunts altogether in favor of walk in. He also mentioned guys showing up with walkers trying to do the walk in hunt while it's no Colorado or Wyoming high country the Wichita's are still decently ruff especially where the elk are. But with the lower success rate they can issue more tags which I like maybe I can get a tag in my lifetime. But while I love my fellow okies this ain't no corn feeder, use a atv to get it to granpas barn in the back forty hunt. A lot of guys gonna show up and give up quick because of their own laziness or being unprepared. But I think they should leave at least one assisted hunt lots of guys wait 30 years and every year many 70+ year olds draw.

I hunted in the Wichita Mtns in 1992, it’s as rough or rougher than a lot of hunts in Colorado or Montana. I was with the warden assistant hunt and it took three of us to quarter and get my elk packed out over a full day. 2.5 days is a quick hunt. I still apply since I have a lifetime. Best of luck in the draws.

I hunted in the Wichita Mtns in 1992, it’s as rough or rougher than a lot of hunts in Colorado or Montana. I was with the warden assistant hunt and it took three of us to quarter and get my elk packed out over a full day. 2.5 days is a quick hunt. I still apply since I have a lifetime. Best of luck in the draws.
Same to you. The walk in hunts are 5 days by the way.

Can you use horses? That helps a lot!! I drew a McClester traditional hunt once but did get to hunt it

My sister and dad did the January 2022 hunt walk in hunt, she got a cy Curtis bull. Overall sounded awesome. I imagine the cost/logistics is much lower for the walk in hunt from the manager perspective as well.

I'm hoping to draw, put in every year

Although it doesn't affect me personally because I already drew my once-in-a-lifetime OK elk tag (2022 walk-in cow hunt), I'm glad to see they've decided to reserve half the elk tags for 20+ point holders. I feel bad for the lifelong applicants who lose out to the lucky SOB's who draw on their first try...this change will help mitigate that disparity.

I've had the good fortune to hunt McAlester the last 2 years (2021 draw, 2022 quality pass)...here's to hoping I get lucky in this year's draw and get to go back to MCAAP.

Last edited:
The year I hunted elk in the Wichita Mtns we had about 20 degree temperatures and everything was covered with a few inches of ice. It was super slick/dangerous walking. I shot the elk on Geronimo Ridge and I was never so sore in my entire life as after packing out that elk.

Does anyone know if you can use horses/pack stock in the Wichita Mtn?

The year I hunted elk in the Wichita Mtns we had about 20 degree temperatures and everything was covered with a few inches of ice. It was super slick/dangerous walking. I shot the elk on Geronimo Ridge and I was never so sore in my entire life as after packing out that elk.

Does anyone know if you can use horses/pack stock in the Wichita Mtn?
When my father in law drew a couple years ago he asked if he could bring a horse for packing out only. No go as @Mighty Mouse pointed out. He ended killing his elk(cow tag) in a pretty cherry spot and the pack out wasn't to bad.

I went on the January 2023 walk-in cow hunt. It was a tough hunt with a lot of tags. Had a few other hunters ruin some stalks but I was able to shoot a cow elk on the 4th day. I shot her 2.5 miles from the truck. During my hunt I noticed most of the other hunters were lazy and stayed near major trails or roads

I have been applying since 1986 for the elk hunt. Maybe this is the year.😀 been applying for the deer hunt for 17 years. Good luck everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back