MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2023 controlled hunts

So after looking at the 2022 harvest rates on the state's website and reading this thread..... I'm not optimistic.

Got points but.....sheesh. I'm starting to understand why guys just give up.

So after looking at the 2022 harvest rates on the state's website and reading this thread..... I'm not optimistic.
Harvest rates or draw odds?

Harvest rates are high for Oklahoma's elk hunts...typically over 60% of hunters fill their tag.

Odds of drawing an OK elk tag are pretty low...much better (by a factor of around 20-30) if you're willing to settle for a cow though.

No luck for myself. Best success to those that drew. I heard the general on Ft. Sill has had some amazing luck hunting in Oklahoma…

My good friend was having surgery on his nostrils yesterday so didn't hear from him till this morning. He drew one of the doe pronghorn tags for Cimarron County.

Harvest rates or draw odds?

Harvest rates are high for Oklahoma's elk hunts...typically over 60% of hunters fill their tag.

Odds of drawing an OK elk tag are pretty low...much better (by a factor of around 20-30) if you're willing to settle for a cow though.
Both. At least the way I see it.

Elk draw odds are low.
Deer draw odds better but I didn't think the harvest rates were stellar on deer. Are the hunters who draw deer tags on controlled hunts passing on non-trophies?

Elk draw odds are low.
Deer draw odds better but I didn't think the harvest rates were stellar on deer. Are the hunters who draw deer tags on controlled hunts passing on non-trophies?
Maybe a few, but the guys I know who apply for deer tags around here apply on the McAlester Ammunition Plant and that is traditional archery only.

Elk draw odds are low.
Not all the deer hunts are knockouts. Many are more about properly managing hunter numbers near OKC and Tulsa (Lexington wma for instance) then providing a quality hunt. I've been on 5 controlled hunts (2 my tag 3 niece's/nephew) and have harvested every hunt. I also saw a guy last year show up to a controlled hunt give it a half ass attempt for one morning and go home. Most of the better or even middling deer hunts produce fairly high opportunities to harvest. The numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Not all the deer hunts are knockouts. Many are more about properly managing hunter numbers near OKC and Tulsa (Lexington wma for instance) then providing a quality hunt. I've been on 5 controlled hunts (2 my tag 3 niece's/nephew) and have harvested every hunt. I also saw a guy last year show up to a controlled hunt give it a half ass attempt for one morning and go home. Most of the better or even middling deer hunts produce fairly high opportunities to harvest. The numbers don't always tell the whole story.
Ah. Makes more sense. Thanks.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back