Larger caliber rifle

The answer is already in your hands. 30-06 will do anything needed for your intended targets of elk and gemsbok.

Unless you've got the itch to buy a rifle, I'd fix the 30-06 so you can shoot it well and spend they $ on other important things like optics or furry slippers.

Noharley,
Where do those people(the u/tube vid) come from? Must be a very shallow gene pool.

I remembered seeing it years ago & found it. Dude claimed he could pistol shoot a 400 grain dangerous game magnum is the backstory. Lucky he turned his face.

Mudranger is correct, there is no point in punishing yourself...mitigate recoil with good pads, stocks, brakes, or less punishable calibers. I shoot off an unweighted rest, bags, and offhand at the range taking the brunt of the recoil energy..and shoot probably 25 or more 2 to 3 unbraked rifle range sessions a year. Not everyone can shoot that much I realize but it has definitely reduced recoil sensitivity and helped trigger control. My Encore 270 actually kicked more than the 9 lb Rem LSS 700 7RUM earlier this afternoon. Yes Buzz does well with the 7mm-08 but I'd bet he holds onto his magnums.

I agree with tbone, most versatile caliber out there regarding factory loads. Get a lighter bullet, perhaps remington managed recoil loads. Check into a higher quality stock. But, as I like to buy guns I would suggest the 270 or 308 for a different caliber. Huge amount of gun/ammo options and apples to apples will recoil less then your 06. I own big big bores but don't really care for them, most guys out there don't. Look at a used gun rack, lots of barely used big big bores collecting dust.

The answer is already in your hands. 30-06 will do anything needed for your intended targets of elk and gemsbok.

Unless you've got the itch to buy a rifle, I'd fix the 30-06 so you can shoot it well and spend they $ on other important things like optics or furry slippers.
This in spades! If you are not liking the recoil of a 30-06, I can't imagine going to a larger recoiling round, even if in a different make/model of rifle is a good idea. If you still want to go that route, find someone who'll let you shoot theirs before buying. I'd try a different shape of stock on the Savage first. Laminates can be had for under $100 which will add some weight and you can pick from a variety of shapes. Make sure you add a good recoil pad.

I think the savage is called the Bear Hunter. Seems like a nice rifle. Does a rifle with that break shoot the same with the break on and off? Might be a dumb question, but I've always wondered.

I disagree with what is said above. Muzzle brakes, flash hiders, suppressors... What ever you decide to hang off the muzzle on a weapon can and will likely change POI. All of them redirect the gasses coming off the muzzle in some way. For example Lazzeroni rifles ship with a test target with two groups, Brake on and brake off. From the targets I've seen none grouped same POI brake on and brake off.

The only way to be sure is to shoot it both ways.

As far as Stocks go. The single most uncomfortable rifle to shoot I've had the displeasure of pulling the trigger on was a Blaser R-93 in .30-06 Synthetic. Nice light rifle, and accurate as anything else I've shot. But one of the fastest recoiling rifles I've ever worked with. It was noticeable less pleasant to shoot than my .325WSM or my father's .338WM. Neither of which wears a brake.

A fresh stock on the .30-06 may likely solve the problem. If not there are too many viable Elk Calibers to list in one spot. IMHO a Good Caliber for Elk is, anything in 6.5mm or larger with a muzzle velocity of 2600-3100FPS; shooting a quality slug of at least .250 Sectional Density and sufficient BC to maintain 1800fps at longest expected shooting range. It can be that flexible. We can debate the finer points of which cartridge is slightly better than which other until the end of time. The big point is: shoot something that you are comfortable shooting, because an elk with holes in both lungs isn't going to go very far regardless of how big the holes are. And a poorly hit Elk will go further than you can even if you shoot it with a .375H&H. If you feel comfortable with .25-06, use it. Premium slugs, something like a 120gr partition should do the trick. Federal offers this load.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I may try the different stock as a starter and then work from there.

good luck to all
the dog

What kind of recoil pad does it have? I'm a wuss, and a big fan of good recoil pads. My .338-06 has always worn a Pachymar Decelerator.

Stock it!

haven't been here in quite some time, (computer issues) but here goes.
Realizing I'm late to the show, take a look at Boyd's Stocks "Prairie Hunter" , it directs recoil very well for me (6' & 200 lbs) in my 8mm Mauser which I hand load to 06 levels. :D
I also have one on a Spanish 7mm Mauser, and it turns that rifle into a 243 or less (felt recoil)

Last edited:
your 06 will do the job nicely,my wife uses a savage 30-06 to hunt deer,elk,cougar,bear, but she needed a little work done on it to make it comfortable to her,had stock shortend,had a good butt pad put on it,12 years later and it is still her go to rifle.
and all annimals in north America,have died at the hands of a hunter using a 30-06.
and you can still find ammo in most mom and pop stores,around the us,and Canada.
I would stick with the 06,and buy a new pistole.:hump:

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Mag, and with the factory stock it was miserable to shoot. I ended up putting it in a B&C Medalist I found on clearance online. The recoil is the same, but the felt recoil and unpleasantness is way down. I would give the new stock a shot, I think stock geometry has a big impact on how that recoil is going to feel.

If you are shooting 180grns, you might think about dropping down to 150 slugs, this will reduce recoil.

Back