Larger caliber rifle

pointingdogsrule

Hi Guys: Most of my time is done with archery, however, as of a few years ago I start shooting rifles as a second option. Being away from rifles I feel I lack some knowledge.

A few years ago I bought a Browning A-bolt (25-06) from a guy on this forum and just love the gun. Smoothest shooting gun I have ever shot and very accurate.

I am interested in getting a larger caliber gun for elk or Oryx. I have a Savage 30-06 and it kicks like a mule and I just can not seem to get comfortable with the gun (groupings).

So my question for you gun enthusiasts is: If I go to another Browning A-bolt will that affect the recoil (do different guns react differently). Secondly, how large of a caliber is "good enough"? I see a Browning A-bolt on Gun Broker in a .338 Win mag with a muzzle brake... that sounds like a lot of gun? I am not to familiar with calibers other then .308, .270 & 30-06.

Thanks for your help in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

Recoil is a combination of cartridge, charge, bullet and gun weight (also muzzle break if applicable).

A 30-06 shooting 180gr in a 9lb rifle isn't going to be as intense as with a 6lb rifle...it's just physics.

A 270 is the same case as a 30-06 (same as your 25-06), just smaller neck size. In general you'll shoot lighter bullets and the recoil will be more subtle.

A 338 win mag is a cannon, that said with a muzzle break it will probably recoil less than your 25-06. My Dad put a break on his 300 Weatherby, and to me it recoils like a 243...except on the ears.

My suggestion is that if you can't get comfortable with your 30-06, you're going to need something with less recoil and that means going down in cartridge size to a 308 (or 308 family) or 270, or shooting a larger caliber with a break.

Recoil is also largely a matter of stock design and fit. It is possible that a different stock would tame your Savage 30-06.
I have a .light weight .338 in a aftermarket stock that kicks like a .243, I can shoot it all day long. The gun still has .338 recoil, but the stock turns it into a big, gentle push.

Still, if you like the A-Bolt, then maybe another A-bolt is the way to go.
I don’t care for muzzle breaks, they just transfer the recoil to your ears, and the ears of everyone around you.

Some thoughts on caliber.
Your 25-06 is “enough” for elk and Oryx, just use a heavy, premium bullet, but that does not give you an excuse to buy a new gun, so disregard it.

I don‘t know what distances you are comfortable shooting at, but if you keep it to 300-350 yards, then a .308 Win. doesn’t really kick much more than your 25-06, but uses a bigger bullet more suited to larger game.
If you want to move up in power and extend your effective range then the next step is the 270-to 300 magnums.
A 7mm Rem. Mag might be just the ticket for you;
Noticeably more power and range than your 25-06, with much less recoil than the 300/338 magnums.
Lots of ammo options, and it’s available everywhere. You should have no problems finding an A-bolt in 7mm.
If you want to try to tame your Savage 30-06, aftermarket stocks range from a Hogue Overmold at about $150 to customs that can cost more than the gun did. I have a Borden Rimrock stock on my .338, it would cost you around $600 to have a gunsmith fit one and install it, or you can do it yourself for about half that.

Last edited:
Sticking with my default answer...7 mag or 300 Win short or long. No brake. Premium or reload ammo...Practic will minimize recoil sensitivity.

Hey Dog-
Either rifle will do great. If you reload it's real easy to reduce the '06 but if you can find some 150 factory loads they should help. The .25 will kill elk all day long and as far away as necessary. If you shoot it well I would stick with it. The Nosler partition is a great bullet for elk in the 25-06. A cousin of mine in Oregon stacks em like firewood with that set up.

So my question for you gun enthusiasts is: If I go to another Browning A-bolt will that affect the recoil (do different guns react differently). Secondly, how large of a caliber is "good enough"? I see a Browning A-bolt on Gun Broker in a .338 Win mag with a muzzle brake... that sounds like a lot of gun? I am not to familiar with calibers other then .308, .270 & 30-06.

Thanks for your help in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

Just follow Buzz With his new 7mm-08 killing everything in sight. My wife's you can't even feel a recoil even compared with my 270. Only gun I've ever"enjoyed" shooting at the range.

Just follow Buzz With his new 7mm-08 killing everything in sight. My wife's you can't even feel a recoil even compared with my 270. Only gun I've ever"enjoyed" shooting at the range.

Have to agree with this, my wifes 7x57 (ballistic twin of the 7-08) is a joy to shoot. It is in a mountain rifle contour with Remington (original) Ti Stock. Weighs just under 7lbs with scope.

..Practic will minimize recoil sensitivity.

I generally agree with you on a lot of things but this is about like saying getting punched in the face repeatedly will make you more immune. Maybe but you still won't enjoy it ;)

I am a fan of the 30 cal guns for sure. I have a 300 win mag and a wsm that I had shot for the last five years. I really like my 300 wsm have taken many animals with it. Lightweight and doesnt kick like a mule. It is a winchester coyote light and shoots like a dream. The 300 win mag kicked like a mule it was a ruger m77. This season I had a 300 Ultra mag built out of a remington 700 action. This rifle is by far my favorite. It is a tack driver and is really lightweight. I did put a break on it and it is loud but not too bad. The recoil is like a 243 or less. I have never had a browning but would really like to try one. Seems all my friends with them really like them. Also we bought a 300 wsm for my girlfriend in a tikka t3, shortened it up to fit her and did a little trigger work to it and also added a break. No kick at all and by far our lightest rifle hands down. It is a great gun! She has brought down quite a few elk with it. Here is a pic of my new ultra mag with my bull this year.image.jpg

I am a fan of the Browning rifles as well. I have 5 A-Bolts and an X-Bolt and love them all. I shoot a .270 for the smaller stuff and .338 for elk and oryx. Buy that .338 with a brake and it will become your favorite.

MTPUBLICLAND, my RUM looks like a Daisy BB gun compared to that thing you have. You say it is lightweight with a laminated stock and a Hubble scope. How much does it weigh? The RUMs aren't for everyone, but done right they are deadly rifles at all ranges. mtmuley

I guess I should have said prior to the larger scope and break. Don't have an actual weight but for sure lighter than my win mag was. I went kinda overboard with the scope but really enjoy the higher power.

Here's my coyote lite in 7mm WSM(accurized by Gordy's Precision in KC).
71429192-534D-4A88-BA2B-A410EA4317E5-10845-000008DF737B220F_zps7e668391.jpg

5 shot group after sighting in, at 100 yards of the bipod.
56D0342E-0429-4ABC-8C9A-AEA243297B25-14645-00000C763897CE98_zps531d72e5.jpg

Strapped to my pack, above treeline in Alaska.
P1060138.jpg

Mine goes just over 8.5 lbs loaded and ready. (on my bathroom scale) I used the 210 grain ALR this year, but am switching back to the regular Accubond I have used for the 11 years prior. If one can handle it, the RUM is a great heavy cartridge. mtmuley

I'm one of the few that have come full circle...I started with 7mmRemMag then bought a 300WSM and now I almost exclusively shoot a 7mm-08 and believe that it is more than capable of killing an elk. Both 7mmMag & 300WSM are great rounds and serve the exact purpose you need. A slightly heavier rifle will be better for you recoil BUT carrying a heavy rifle gets old fast. I might suggest a rifle that has a break that can be turned on/off as deemed necessary. I know Savage makes one and I think Weatherby makes one also.

I think the savage is called the Bear Hunter. Seems like a nice rifle. Does a rifle with that break shoot the same with the break on and off? Might be a dumb question, but I've always wondered.

I think the savage is called the Bear Hunter. Seems like a nice rifle. Does a rifle with that break shoot the same with the break on and off? Might be a dumb question, but I've always wondered.

A lot of guys that run breaks do so at the range only for practice then don't in the field for their ears. In theory they should run the same if that is what guys do, but I'd guess a bit of it depends on the rifle. Surely there are some out there that shoot differently, and some that dont.

Back