Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kodiak Blacktail Hunt

Ultrahunter

Just got back from Kodiak the other day and had a great time. Though we got weathered into the boat for about a day and half we were still able to take as many bucks as we wanted to. These blacktail deer were quite a bit smaller than a muley but were really fun to hunt. Constant action as we saw deer all day long and were able to pick out a few that we liked. A great hunt that I hope to try again someday!

Heres buck number 1, a freak Stag that was to cool to pass! I actuallly didn't realize he had velvet on him until I walked up to him. I had seen the kicker off his base and decided to take him home.
Kodiak2011045.jpg

Buck number 2 was a no brainer for me, he is pretty heavy and has decent main beams. Anyway I liked him so he got a free flight to Idaho!!:D
Kodiak2011074.jpg

With two bucks down and only one tag left I really wanted to find a buck with at least 4 points on one side. I actually passed up a few bigger bucks before I found one with 4 points on both sides, he got a ride to Idaho too.
Kodiak2011087.jpg

Kodiak2011090.jpg

All in all the 6 guys on the boat killed 14 bucks that week, with my buddies and I taking 9 bucks home. Heres a picture of me and my friends with just our bucks.
Kodiak2011136.jpg

Heres a final shot of all the horns together right before we left.
Kodiak2011118.jpg

If any of you guys get a chance to go hunt on kodiak, DO IT!! Not just for the deer, but that place is cool. Got to see alot of wildlife including a couple brown bears and hundreds of bald eagles. A great hunt that I would recommend to anyone!

Very cool. After moose next year, the next Alaska hunt will be Sitka Blacktails. Congrats.

You guys did great. Some interesting hunting weather, too, it looks like.

Wow that looks like you had an awesome hunt. Definitely on my dream list!

Congrats, looks like a ton of fun.

Very cool. After moose next year, the next Alaska hunt will be Sitka Blacktails. Congrats.

I know someone who would volunteer to go along, heck they'll pay their own way even:D

That looks like a blast. Couple really good looking bucks in there too.

Congrats, looks like a ton of fun.

I know someone who would volunteer to go along, heck they'll pay their own way even:D

I was jsut thinknig the same thing............. ;)

Guys, congrats on your hunt. I seen those pics linked and posed all over FB !! That is a great / fun hunt. I don't see any fish or duck pics though /!?!?

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. I hunted Kodiak in '07 and it was awesome, I do plan to go back some day. What part of the island did you hunt? We hunted near Akhiok. Congratulations on the beautiful deer.

--Bill

Man you guys piled em up! A few nice bucks in that pile.

What part of the island did you hunt? We're headed down to the SW side this spring.

I want to get back up there and chase again. Let me know when guys need me to be up there. I have a free flight or two ready to go.:D

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back