Caribou Gear Tarp

Kenetrek resole?

EYJONAS!

Looking to see if anyone has used Kenetrek's rebuild program for their mountain boots. I have 2 pairs insulated and non insulated both are shot the second pair of kenetreks didn't last half the time the first pair did. Both are still in somewhat usable condition but the crampons hammered my second set. Curious to see if it's worth 175 bucks or in a year am I gonna be switching companies. Sure sucks having to break in new boots every boulder years when they're 400 to 500 dollars. Thanks.

I had my hardscrabbled rebuilt. I got another full year out of the boots but the soles are starting to wear down pretty bad already. The reseal of the rubber is still perfect though. I think it's worth it if you want to get another year or two out of the boot, but all I ended up doing was prolonging the new purchase by about 18 months. I got 2-3 years out of my hardscrabbles before sending them in.

Much appreciated on the response mr. Lamb looks like i'll be doing both. Resoling and buying a new pair of mid weight boots. Thanks

I rotate my Kenetreks. They get one resole and then they are chore boots. I wear boots every day. I typically get a couple years out of them. Always been happy with the resole programs.

I had my Kenetrek pac boots rebuilt, I think it was $125 for their pac boots. I was happy with the results. They reconditioned the leather uppers as well so felt like I was getting a new set of pac boots for the price. I don't wear those boots that often anymore so I felt for the money they'll last a long time.

What makes me mad about the rebuild is there’s no way for them to fix the area on the heel which is where my boots leak. I think I’m done running kennetreks. They’ve been a good boot but being firefighter/emt I can get deals on other boots. I can almost get a brand new pair of boots for what a rebuild costs so it doesn’t really make sense for me

What makes me mad about the rebuild is there’s no way for them to fix the area on the heel which is where my boots leak. I think I’m done running kennetreks. They’ve been a good boot but being firefighter/emt I can get deals on other boots. I can almost get a brand new pair of boots for what a rebuild costs so it doesn’t really make sense for me

My heel split this year. I went with the pricey route and shoe goo-ed the hell out of it. No leaks all year.

Anyone feel like the Kenetrek lineup is going down in quality a little bit. My first pair of Mountain Extremes were bomb proof I got 8 hard seasons out of those boots and I bought a new pair of extremes 2 seasons ago and hell they're worse than my 10 year old pair. Not sure what to think about that, I love the fit that the Kenetreks have on my feet but they suck in the cold cold weather and after awhile they leak, no matter what. Needless to say I am pretty disappointed in the quality of my second pair.

I can’t really speak to the quality going downhill but you may be right. I did hear on a podcast with a sheep guide from Alaska that they see more failures with the kennetreks than any other high end boot. Not trying to talk bad about them as they are a super comfy boot for me, but it is what it is

Goretex waterproof boots don't rebuild like the old style Whites/Nicks that aren't insulated or have a goretex liner.

You can easily get 3 rebuilds out of those boots, but they have yet to really come up with a competitive lighter weight waterproof-(ish) hunting boots.

Not to say plenty of deer and elk haven't been killed by guys wearing the boots they worked fire season in...Just that they are a different type of boot made in a manner that is conducive to being rebuilt 3 x over 10-15 years depending...

Interesting observations, what's anyone's thoughts on the synthetic boots vs leather. I'm not looking to buy a new pair of boots every two years nor rebuild. I'm not the toughest guy on the mountain nor do I climb Everest but I am pretty rough on footwear. From what I read synthetic boots are pretty unforgiving as far as waterproof ish abs they break down fairly quick especially side billing. Leather is a better material vs synthetic it's able to be re conditioned and water proofed and they're rebuildable. My thoughts are to get my kenetreks re built this season and maybe pickup a lighter boot for spring bears and archery season. Looking at crispi but open to other suggestions.

1'st pair non insulated Mountain Hunters I purchased some years back leaked at the heel very quickly. Carter's Boots in Bozeman replaced them no questions asked. New pair also leaked somewhat quickly, in heel. Living in BozeAngeles, I brought them directly to Kenetrek. They Cheerfully informed me they would make it right. I did not hear from them for months. Upon stopping by the factory, the person I spoke to was very apologetic and was surprised I never heard from them upon the repair. They had been done for some time. I got the boots, heel repaired, and went on my way. That was two years ago.
Have wore the shit outta' them. They began leaking this fall - in heel repair. Still wear 'em when I'm not gonna' be in wet conditions. Great dry ground boot now.
I have decided, although they are hands down the best fitting (for my feet) and most comfortable boots I have ever had, I will probably not buy another pair.
High Price + fairly good customer service + questionable quality + good fit and comfortability = decision to shy away from Kenetrek.
Seems a good company, but for the price, I think there is better out there.
Just got a hell of a sale price on these, will see how they pan out.....

IMO if you're strapping crampons to them you should go with a mountaineering brand. I pulled my Scarpas out of the box and climbed Rainier that weekend. 5 Years and still going strong. I've never bought into "hunting" brand boots. I'm hiking and climbing, doesn't matter if I'm packing a gun or not.

IMO if you're strapping crampons to them you should go with a mountaineering brand. I pulled my Scarpas out of the box and climbed Rainier that weekend. 5 Years and still going strong. I've never bought into "hunting" brand boots. I'm hiking and climbing, doesn't matter if I'm packing a gun or not.

Every hunting brand marketer is staring at your words, wishing you would die in a fire.

While I do agree with you, I've had a hard time finding a backpacking brand boot that has the height that I like in winter.

That's likely because when I was growing up everyone wore work/logging boots to hunt in, and that's what I'm used to. I think that some of the brands like Kenetrek, Crispi etc. do a good job of making something between work and backpacking boots. I usually go straight from my backpacking boots to pac boots in the fall, and I wish I had something in between like a Kenetrek.

While I do agree with you, I've had a hard time finding a backpacking brand boot that has the height that I like in winter.

That's likely because when I was growing up everyone wore work/logging boots to hunt in, and that's what I'm used to. I think that some of the brands like Kenetrek, Crispi etc. do a good job of making something between work and backpacking boots. I usually go straight from my backpacking boots to pac boots in the fall, and I wish I had something in between like a Kenetrek.
I did too, rocked a pair of danner rainforests that I rebuilt three times, but I've since found that a moderate climber with a gaiter does everything I would ever need in 99% of the conditions I'm outside in. They're not rebuildable, but if you hunt around for a deal you can find them for $300 or less, and they last a helluva long time.

I did too, rocked a pair of danner rainforests that I rebuilt three times, but I've since found that a moderate climber with a gaiter does everything I would ever need in 99% of the conditions I'm outside in. They're not rebuildable, but if you hunt around for a deal you can find them for $300 or less, and they last a helluva long time.

That's basically where I'm at too. My primary boot system this year on a couple snowy goat hunts were La Sportiva Karakorums with Gaiters. It worked well, but for some reason I just like having more height than that, and when I did more relaxed hunts I always reverted back to my Danners. Just a comfort thing I guess.

I'm pretty tough on boots. I only wear all leather boots anymore. I've dabbled with others, but for durability I had my best luck with full grain leather and a full rand. There are more boots coming out that are a little taller than your typical backpackers.

I only buy boots that are resolable. They may not be fit for resoling, but I have found the construction is typically more robust and they will last longer.

I've been wearing Zamberlan Guide 960s for a couple of seasons now. I'm impressed with how well they are holding up, although they updated and improved this model and I am antsy to try out the new style. I use gaiters in shitty weather.

For your type of use, you may look at White boots. They are made specifically for fire fighters etc. My kid loves his and as a wild land firefighter, those boots get beat up!

For your type of use, you may look at White boots. They are made specifically for fire fighters etc. My kid loves his and as a wild land firefighter, those boots get beat up!

I own two pairs of whites for my normal job any they are great but I’m not a wildland guy. I’m part time on a city department so my whites don’t do me a whole lot of good there. Steel toed whites aren’t something I would like to wear around the woods when it’s 0 degrees out either...

Back