Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Crispi Guide Boots (Update)

Mule3006Elk

Long story short, I had a pair of Cabelas Meindl Boots (50th Anniversary Boot) that wore out after 5-6 years of use. Like wearing a slipper. No break-in. No special socks combination needed. Never had to change the footbed. They just worked for my feet. When those wore out they didn't make that boot anymore. So I tried Kenetrek ME (insulated). On short to medium hikes (or hunt) they were fine with no pain, no hot spots, but I would be aware of my heel not to the point I would call it a hot spot. On longer hikes or lots of steep climbing I would get hot spots in the heels. Rare blister just hot spots. I tried numerous sock combination, Superfeet, etc. The tread almost needs to be resoled. I was torn do I resole or get a new boot.

After a lot of research and recommendations I picked up a pair of Crispi Guide (insulated). Overall the volume of the boot is a little less when compared to Kenetreks. I have low volume feet so this is good for me. My heel is snuggly in the heel pocket. I made some insole modifications and hit the trail. Very comfortable boot. Good support maybe not as robust as Kenetrek in that regard. I didn't notice any increase ankle/foot fatigue after hiking 6 miles when compared to the Kenetreks. I did have a miniscule blister, both heels at the end of the hike, healed with a few days. After the hike I analyzed my heel in the heel pocket. I determined my heel, right at the achilles tendon insertion, was riding just a smidge too high. I modified the inserts dropping my heel just a smidge. I went hiking for round #2, same trail, 5 miles this time but the same amount of climbing, and I was very pleased. First time in a long time that I hiked with no heel issues. No pain, no hot spots, no heel awareness. Cautiously optimistic!!

I recently went on a boot quest. I tried Kinetrek, Zamberlan, Meindle, Krispi, Oboz.

I love Oboz, but it seemed like their top boot was more suited to light excursions around Yellowstone Park instead of serious mountain climbing.

I tried ordering Hoffman's but they were on backorder.

I thought the Kinetrek and Zamberlan, Krispi all felt equally comfortable on my feet. The Zamberlan heel was too tall for my liking but other Zamberlan models were good. I ordered two pair of Meindle and neither of them fit my foot...., too much space. The Kinetreks felt a little too bulky/cumbersome on my feet although not much more than Crispi or Zamberlan. They all seemed like quality boots.

I ultimately went with Krispi Guide non-insulated. The decision was partly made because Sportsmans Warehouse had a big sale and the Krispi Guide in my size was in stock. I've taken them on a couple of 8-10 mile mountain hikes and they do great. First trip out I had a slight rubbing on one heel, but that was solved with better quality sock. They seem a little lighter and more flexible than the Kinnetrek and Zamberlan.

For light hikers and 3/4 top, I've fallen in love with Oboz. Everyone's foot is different, but the oboz hug my foot and have a footbed that makes for total awesomeness when I'm doing something less than mountaineering.

Long story short, I had a pair of Cabelas Meindl Boots (50th Anniversary Boot) that wore out after 5-6 years of use. Like wearing a slipper. No break-in. No special socks combination needed. Never had to change the footbed. They just worked for my feet. When those wore out they didn't make that boot anymore. So I tried Kenetrek ME (insulated). On short to medium hikes (or hunt) they were fine with no pain, no hot spots, but I would be aware of my heel not to the point I would call it a hot spot. On longer hikes or lots of steep climbing I would get hot spots in the heels. Rare blister just hot spots. I tried numerous sock combination, Superfeet, etc. The tread almost needs to be resoled. I was torn do I resole or get a new boot.

After a lot of research and recommendations I picked up a pair of Crispi Guide (insulated). Overall the volume of the boot is a little less when compared to Kenetreks. I have low volume feet so this is good for me. My heel is snuggly in the heel pocket. I made some insole modifications and hit the trail. Very comfortable boot. Good support maybe not as robust as Kenetrek in that regard. I didn't notice any increase ankle/foot fatigue after hiking 6 miles when compared to the Kenetreks. I did have a miniscule blister, both heels at the end of the hike, healed with a few days. After the hike I analyzed my heel in the heel pocket. I determined my heel, right at the achilles tendon insertion, was riding just a smidge too high. I modified the inserts dropping my heel just a smidge. I went hiking for round #2, same trail, 5 miles this time but the same amount of climbing, and I was very pleased. First time in a long time that I hiked with no heel issues. No pain, no hot spots, no heel awareness. Cautiously optimistic!!
How do they fit compared to the Kenetrek? I wear a 14

Will be going to Wyoming for elk rifle opener. I purchased a pair of Crispi boots after a lot of research. All good and very little bad about these boots. But due to low or no inventory at any retail store I went to I ended up with a pair of insulated 400 gram boot due to that was all that was in stock. Been puting on some miles and they are hot but it is 70 degrees out. My question is will 400 grams be to warm for a October 15th hunt? This is my first rifle hunt for elk and research of 25 to 50 degrees F is average low high temperatures. Thanks for the help.

Back