Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Jumpers knee or Patella Tendon pain

freu1chr

About a month and a half ago i was doing jump squats and had no issues a few days later all around both of my kneecaps i had pain. Ive been going to the chiropractor for about a month now and that has not helped at all and the doctor said just give it time and wear knee braces. I have been doing strengthening exercises but i almost feel like they make it more painful after. Have any of you had this issue ever. I’m hoping it doesn’t ruin my fall hunting plans. Looking for some help.

About a month and a half ago i was doing jump squats and had no issues a few days later all around both of my kneecaps i had pain. Ive been going to the chiropractor for about a month now and that has not helped at all and the doctor said just give it time and wear knee braces. I have been doing strengthening exercises but i almost feel like they make it more painful after. Have any of you had this issue ever. I’m hoping it doesn’t ruin my fall hunting plans. Looking for some help.
What have they recommended for specific exercises? I’ve been dealing with similar this winter.

Look up the knees over toes guy. Way less annoying (and jacked) than the Liver King. But definitely some good advice/exercises.

Have done the backwards walking on a treadmill and it really helps a great deal. YMMV.

I've had both patella tendon issues as well as patellofemoral pain syndrome (kneecap pain) off and on over the years. My best results with managing it have been through concentrated efforts to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings.

I routinely get patellar tendinitis dealing with osteoarthritis and loss of muscle strength in my quad. 2 alleve, 2 times a day for a week was one piece of advice that helped me. Also I got one of the patellar straps and that seems to help me as well.

Left knee gets it bad. Anecdote incoming-

It's a muscle imbalance, outer quad got too tight and pulls things out of alignment, leading to pain.

Working the outer quad muscle loose (feels like breaking it apart with a rolling pin) offers short term relief, working on hamstrings and groin development offers long term relief to keep things properly aligned.

My first thought is a Chiropractor is not a doctor. You should consult a Physical Therapist and/or a Orthopedic doctor. I had issues with my right knee hurting to the point I made an appointment to see a popular orthopedic doctor. After the visit, I was frustrated with him not being able to find anything and when it gets too bad … operate. I have a friend who is a physical therapist and I made an appointment with him. After discussing with him what my pain was, he went over a few exercises to do on my own at home. No less than three days later, my knee pain was gone to never have returned.

The issue with me was my IT band (runs the length of your thigh on the outside) was so tight, it was pulling on my knee and causing the pain. I used a roller on my IT band (it hurt a lot rolling it) whenever my knee starts to hurt and the pain goes away.

As we get older (myself included), I realize that developing a stretching routine along with a workout routine is very important to one’s health and mobility. I wish I would have done more stretching when I was younger, but thought I was “bullet proof”. Sucks getting old … you just don’t recover like you did when you were younger.

I hope you find relief with your knees.

Go see a PT. Agree with the IT band. I’ve had that issue and it hurts like hell. So does working it out with a foam roller.

I fail to see how braces are the answer.

How was your form on the jump squats? If you go out over your toes you can put tremendous strain on your knees.

I've had both patella tendon issues as well as patellofemoral pain syndrome (kneecap pain) off and on over the years. My best results with managing it have been through concentrated efforts to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings.
100%. Strengthening the glute meds will be one of the biggest benefits. Glute meds control the knee and allow proper alignment. A lack of strength here creates poor lower extremity mechanics which eventually lead to injuries.

Consider your age (note, I didn't ask how old you are). After I fell in Nov '20 toting an elk quarter, my left knee became very pissed at me. Finally found a good orthodoc, who found that I had a small area with no more cartilage in my left knee. Got the synthetic lube injections (3 of them), and my knee is still doing well. Years of basketball, running, etc., have taken a toll, but at this point the lube seems to work. Consider that - and as much as I like my chiro, he isn't a knee doc. Find out what's going on and see what they can fix (preferably without surgery!).

Went to the orthopedist today and he diagnosed me with Fat Pad Impingement. Ice and as some of you have mentioned strengthening of my gluts and hams.

Same thing while out hiking for trout in June of last year. It still bothers me, but it's continually getting better. Best thing I did was really try to rest my knees as much as possible for two months straight (I know it's not always an option), and then hit rehab exercises as hard as you can. I'm still not out of the woods, but I was able to start running again about a month ago so it's trending in the right direction. I went straight into rehab and saw no relief until I just let it rest. Good luck!

PT here. Train glutei med, do dead mill or sled drags (less force in patella when knee angle is low and can still get a good pump), stretch ITB and quad (preferably in side lying). Then slowly start loading into deeper positions.

best results with managing it have been through concentrated efforts to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings.
After surgery to reconnect my severed patellar tendon, those PT exercises are primarily what resulted in recovery. Less than a year later 'backpacked eighty miles in seven days over some challenging high passes. It was a very competent professional physical therapist who made the difference for me.

PT here. Train glutei med, do dead mill or sled drags (less force in patella when knee angle is low and can still get a good pump), stretch ITB and quad (preferably in side lying). Then slowly start loading into deeper positions.
What’s the best way to find a good PT? Local sports medicine clinic? I’ve got some hip/hamstring/sciatic stuff from a rugby injury this spring that needs to be addressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back