Joses Friends hindering the military

az hunters who care

Boston Globe
Border crossings hinder training at Ariz. bases
Illegal immigrants found on test range
By Karen Schaler, Globe Correspondent | April 7, 2005

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION YUMA, Ariz. -- Marines preparing for combat in Iraq or Afghanistan have lost significant amounts of training time because undocumented immigrants from Mexico have constantly wandered onto a bombing test range in Arizona, according to the commander of this base along the border.

Virtually every Marine squadron headed to Iraq or Afghanistan receives combat training at the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, which for nearly 40 miles touches the US-Mexico border in the southwestern corner of Arizona. The Border Patrol's focus in recent years on tightening the border in the eastern part of the state, where volunteer citizens this month have established their own observation posts, has pushed more undocumented immigrants westward.

Since July 2004, the training range has been shut down more than 500 times because of immigrants spotted on the range, causing a loss of more than 1,100 training hours, said Colonel James J. Cooney, the base's commanding officer.

''That's equivalent to almost 46 days of training. We're getting overrun here," he said in an interview. ''Any moment we take away from a Marine's experience base could cost him his life in combat."

Cooney said Marines intercepted more than 1,500 undocumented immigrants on the training range last year and, in the first three months of this year, more than 1,100. Base personnel detain the immigrants and call in Border Patrol agents to pick them up.

''I have to use Marines that aren't trained in that to do that, which puts me at a liability," said Cooney, a Boston College graduate. ''It's completely counterproductive to our whole training operation."

Another big concern, he said, is the potential danger to undocumented immigrants: ''We just don't want them to come here, because we're firing lasers, we're shooting machine guns, we're shooting 209-millimeter cannons, and we're dropping practice bombs, and we don't want to hurt anyone."

Last summer a Marine pilot dropped a practice bomb on a target and seconds later, a few feet away, a small group of illegal immigrants scrambled from underneath a bush and ran down the range. The near miss was caught on a training tape that Cooney has reviewed.

So far the Marines said there have been no deaths of immigrants in the training exercises.

''My overall concern is that we'd have an unfortunate incident out there where we'd inadvertently harm an illegal entrant that we did not spot or see, and that in turn would cause a moratorium on training until we sorted out what exactly happened," said Cooney.

Two other bases in Arizona, one the Army's and another the Air Force's, have experienced similar problems.

At the Army Yuma Proving Ground, near the Marine Corps Air Station but about 30 miles north of the border, an increasing number of undocumented immigrants have invaded military space and disrupted training.

''The smugglers just drive them up the highway and dump them off, and these illegal immigrants stumble right onto our testing range," said Chuck Wullenjohn, spokesman for the Army base.

As one of the largest military installations in the Western world, the Army Yuma Proving Ground is constantly conducting tests for ground forces on artillery and ammunition, including tank rounds, mines, mortars, and helicopter guns.

''Having anyone on this range that doesn't belong here is extremely dangerous," said Wullenjohn. ''The illegal immigrant issue is becoming a bigger problem all the time."

The Air Force said it has had to interrupt exercises with F-16 pilots after undocumented immigrants were spotted on a bombing range east of Gila Bend, north of the border.

''In 2004 we suspended range operations 55 times for a net loss of 122 hours," said Jim Uken, director of the 56th Fighter Wing range management office.

There is some concern that, besides wandering immigrants, foreign terrorists could cross the Mexican border and infiltrate the Arizona bases to conduct intelligence gathering or commit acts of sabotage.

''The potential exists, and that is a key reason we are vigilant about securing our training ranges," Cooney said.

Robert C. Bonner, the commissioner of the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection, said last week when he was visiting Arizona that more than half the undocumented immigrants entering the United States come through the state.

He promised that federal help is on the way.

Sounds like the Marines need some more training if they can't even keep a bunch of guys with leaf blowers out of their areas.... How are they going to do with a real enemy?

JoseCuervo said:
Sounds like the Marines need some more training if they can't even keep a bunch of guys with leaf blowers out of their areas.... How are they going to do with a real enemy?

Queervo ,
Why don't you call the nearest Marine base and let them know how you feel ?

You'd piss your pants and forget your name if a Marine even called you on the phone .

Cooney said Marines intercepted more than 1,500 undocumented immigrants on the training range last year and, in the first three months of this year, more than 1,100. Base personnel detain the immigrants and call in Border Patrol agents to pick them up.

''I have to use Marines that aren't trained in that to do that, which puts me at a liability," said Cooney, a Boston College graduate. ''It's completely counterproductive to our whole training operation."

So the Marines should be trained as police officers or, even better, "security guards" to keep illegal aliens out of a bombing range? That is a wonderful use of their time and our tax dollars... great idea, Hosehead. :D

Calif. Hunter said:
So the Marines should be trained as police officers or, even better, "security guards" to keep illegal aliens out of a bombing range? That is a wonderful use of their time and our tax dollars... great idea, Hosehead. :D

If they are going to Iraq under Dubya's administration, they better get used to being police officers and security guards...... hump

The Airforce should use the Mexicans for bombing practice.. If you're in the Area and Can't read the signs...... Fair game :D

That's my opinion, too - if they can't read the signs saying " Danger! Keep Out!", then they are just targets of opportunity.

Jose' - you're probably right about that. Maybe they should use the Mexicans as "practice terrorists?" When word of that gets around, it might keep some of them south of the border.

I agree with Moosie and WH, if the beaners are in the way bomb there ass and if there lucky enough they might get the main beaner of all " Jose queervo". It sure wouls save the border patrol some gas and time not to mention it would keep the marines doing there practice runs

The funny part is if you knew who I really am and were I come from you would not be saying that old white trash shit. Maybe if you would get your fat ass up and out of your chair bend over and pull your head out of your ass and take a look at both sides of the situation you might see things a bit different. but a person as stubborn as you probaly does not have the brain mass to observe and take in the whole picture. maybe if you were able to cut n paste it off the internet that might be different.

I have lots of mexicans that work under me, and yes the major majority or good hard working people but the ones that steal company tools and company vehicles are nothing but beaners in my eyes.

I have no problems with mexicans coming to the us legally to support there family but I don't care for the ones that come here the wrong way and trash are hunting areas .

So i suggest to you queervo to see the full picture before you start popping off at the mouth like a drunken piece of white tailor trash .

Larry Landgren said:
The funny part is if you knew who I really am and were I come from you would not be saying that old white trash shit. Maybe if you would get your fat ass up and out of your chair bend over and pull your head out of your ass and take a look at both sides of the situation you might see things a bit different. but a person as stubborn as you probaly does not have the brain mass to observe and take in the whole picture. maybe if you were able to cut n paste it off the internet that might be different.

I have lots of mexicans that work under me, and yes the major majority or good hard working people but the ones that steal company tools and company vehicles are nothing but beaners in my eyes.

I have no problems with mexicans coming to the us legally to support there family but I don't care for the ones that come here the wrong way and trash are hunting areas .

So i suggest to you queervo to see the full picture before you start popping off at the mouth like a drunken piece of white tailor trash .

You certainly didn't come from anywhere that taught English in the school system........ Learn how to write before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Thats all you got to say bean breath ? who cares about english and literature bull shit . For some one with my education I sure do better in the work world than most guys with high school and college educations.

I wonder if Hose B was sent here by the owners of another board, who shall remain nameless, to wreak havoc and discontent among the Hunttalk faithful? He seems to be contrary to everything that anyone else believes and seems bent on stirring chit just to stir chit. You would think that any sentient person would prefer to discuss issues among familiars who tend to at least be in the same universe of thought with him or her rather than to be constantly at odds with the majority. Then again, there is always the issue of enjoying being beaten briskly about the head and rectum, which in his case are rarely very far apart.

So a fair question, Jose/Gummer/Who ever the hell you are this week..... Quero. Why do you hang around in such a hostile environment? Is it to puposely irritate the populace or do you take specific pleasure making an ass out of yourself?

:cool:

Danr,

So I guess those with differing opinions on important issues should just pretty much shut up?

Isnt that what you just said?

Last I checked, a majority can still be WRONG, and many times are...

I also think its a bold statement to say that gunner is at odds with the majority...

The best way to shut someone up is to prove them wrong...something not done to gunner very often...

Another thing to consider, closely consider, is that gunner can post an article and before he even comments a bunch of people immediately jump his shit...

Kill the messenger is a favorite past-time in here...

So I guess those with differing opinions on important issues should just pretty much shut up?

Come on now Buzz....
This is one of your favorite lines when others don't agree with you... You should be lauding this type of posting, not beating on it, and how many posts have been made by guner/sybil in the last month been worth the cyberspace it takes up?... ;)

Larry,

Don't take the "bad grade" Elkgunner gave your post to heart. He felt the ball was in his court, so gave a typical response. Could have been an awesome copy and paste, calling you a name, calling Republicans in general a whole bunch of names ( whoops, maybe that would be Buzz), or pointing out errors in spelling, gramar, or syntax.

Just be glad he didn't hit you with the big ammo: a picture of a fat person.

Elkcheese,

You're wrong as usual.

If I'm in a discussion with an intelligent person...I dont tell them to shut up.

I just let the windbag ditch-diggers have it when they dont make sense, dont have a clue what they're talking about, and in your case...every time you open your mouth.

Buzz, Please read the post again. Differring opinions are expected in any cross section of people. When one person appears to be at odds with the majority of the people in any specific group, you would think that that person would seek the company of persons more in line or attuned to their particular way of thinking. To remain in a group when you are constantly causing anxiety and contention among your fellows is the sign of either a warped mind or a predispostion toward self abasement.

I admit that there is a certain type of mentallity the derives pleasure from sowing the seeds of discontent and from causing issues among others in the vicinity. Persons who are constantly the prevacatuer without any ambition to cause reconcillitation or to bring anything good from their actions. Psychotic is the technical term I believe.

People who enjoy seeing others at each others throat or enjoy being asocial to the point of creating a disharmony. Often with the intention of setting one off against the other then sitting back and watching. I've wondered if that is Elkgunner's intention. I've given that up because he rarely sits back and watches. He seems too intent on proving that he is better than the rest or superior in intellect or has more or better information.

I would presume from observation however, that he has no intent on causing others to be at odds with each other. It remains, therefore, that the natural conclusion would be that he is more intent on setting himself up as a point of authority and expecting everyone else to come to him for information that he deems is correct and that he believes they/we need/should have to lead a happy, normal life. He presents information in a challenging "in your face" manner that evokes antagonisitic reactions from most everyone. It would be logical to presume that he enjoys being the center of attention and feels he can only achieve that end by his outward displays of disdain for everyone else. What term would you use to describe that type of personality?

:cool:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back