Caribou Gear

It's time to do away with landowner tags enough is enough

I believe he is referring to landowner preference. The immediate family of the landowner is eligible to apply with landowner preference as long as they meet the other requirements.

That is what I figured he was referring to.

Please help me understand when someone works their whole life, saves money and buys to them what is dream property any comment other than “good for them” isn’t used. Why do we get mad when someone puts up no trespassing? Do you allow people to freely walk in your house or backyard? I have a small piece of hunting land. Guy next to me just bought 7000 acres. Running cattle and doesn’t want any hunters. Good for him.
I get public land being sold off by the states to private. But land that is already private changing hands, so what? Ya I know once it was all public. But then The dinosaurs had it then.
1. Same landowners are complaining to game agencies that there too many animals eating a the groceries.

2. Landowner/Agro Lobbyist get legislature to alter laws to tilt public access on surrounding public. Stream access, corner crossing and shutdown public roads and trails.

3. Landowner/agro lobbyist and legislatures pressure/blackmail game agencies to reduce game populations and objectives below what has always been deemed a biological population objective.

4. That reduction takes place solely on public lands pushing even more animals onto the private sanctuaries.

5. landowner/agro lobbyist use legislature to mandate more tags be given to landowners. Thus reducing the availability to the average man.

6. Landowners/agro lobbyist push legislature to add additional fees to huntering license that pay landowners depredation payments for animals that are being hoarded on private by keeping hunters out.

7. Aforementioned laws get changed to add the ability for landowners to purchase irrigation equipment, and fencing in addition to the depredation compensation that landowners actually use to fence wildlife in their property.

I could go on and on.

1. Same landowners are complaining to game agencies that there too many animals eating a the groceries.

2. Landowner/Agro Lobbyist get legislature to alter laws to tilt public access on surrounding public. Stream access, corner crossing and shutdown public roads and trails.

3. Landowner/agro lobbyist and legislatures pressure/blackmail game agencies to reduce game populations and objectives below what has always been deemed a biological population objective.

4. That reduction takes place solely on public lands pushing even more animals onto the private sanctuaries.

5. landowner/agro lobbyist use legislature to mandate more tags be given to landowners. Thus reducing the availability to the average man.

6. Landowners/agro lobbyist push legislature to add additional fees to huntering license that pay landowners depredation payments for animals that are being hoarded on private by keeping hunters out.

7. Aforementioned laws get changed to add the ability for landowners to purchase irrigation equipment, and fencing in addition to the depredation compensation that landowners actually use to fence wildlife in their property.

I could go on and on.
Not in Oregon. I guess laws are different where you are. Oregon your not even guaranteed tag as LOP. It’s part of general pool. Many landowners only get tags every 3-4 years unless damage tags. If you do get tag it’s onoy for your property not unit. Next year they are opening up general cow tags to public to hunt in over objective units. I have no say so in any legislative issues effecting wildlife. Never had a survey, questionnaire or allowed to qualify for special tax assessment.

Not in Oregon. I guess laws are different where you are. Oregon your not even guaranteed tag as LOP. It’s part of general pool. Many landowners only get tags every 3-4 years unless damage tags. If you do get tag it’s onoy for your property not unit. Next year they are opening up general cow tags to public to hunt in over objective units. I have no say so in any legislative issues effecting wildlife. Never had a survey, questionnaire or allowed to qualify for special tax assessment.
Thats awesome lets hope it stays that way.
This thread isn't about you personally.

People should understand why they have trouble drawing tags in Idaho

I have always had a sour feeling about landowner preference tags in Montana, but that has revolved around how they work for HD 380.

380 is about 60% private land, but if you break that private land down into parcels that create eligibility, about 30% of the district is owned by 40-some landowners eligible for landowner preference.

For the non-land owning public, your odds of drawing that tag are about 1%. For land owners with preference, it's something like 40%. A friend of mine drew it two years in a row just a couple years ago.

I understand the logic behind them, and as they exist I wouldn't make an effort to cease them, but I would fight like hell against any increase in the 15% allocation in Montana. Part of that reason is that I know a few folks who enjoy landowner preference in 380, and I don't think they look at the tag as an offset for the friction having elk on their land causes. They like elk on their land, and the tag is just a bonus.

Totally agree. I am originally from Ohio and the way they do it makes sense - the tag is only good on the land you use to claim the preference.

This isn't as at how this works in CO either... my wifes family has a ranch in a limited draw area and you still have to draw as a land owner but it bacially just improves your chances and it is transferable... basically they can get one 2nd season deer tag a year which they always give to friends and family. For 4th season they basically can draw in 5-6 years instead of 8 plus. The regs are more complex and nuanced then this but the idea that someone with a big ranch can get a tag for the best unit in the best season every year isn't the reality for most landowners. Further the whole program provides incentive for landowners to maintain their property as habit, which means more deer on public lands that are adjacent. Probably also helps landowners from getting resentful and poaching when they live in units where they otherwise would never get a chance to hunt because the unit is managed as a trophy unit.

I kinda get frustrated when guys out east who hunt the west complain about landowner tags because I'm almost certain these same people are hunting white tail on there property back home and would be pissed if their state decided to manage their unit as a trophy unit and said they could never hunt there own land more than once in their life. Put yourself in other people's shoes. Yes some bad apples exploit the system but over all I think it works.
Second paragraph BINGO !

This is another approach to the underlying problem. I let the elk eat on my place until the calves are up and running. After that I urge them by rifle shot or fireworks to eat government grass while I try to raise a hay crop. After the hay is in, the smaller herds are welcome to share the grass with my stock. The herds over 15 are urged to move along.

This way I don't get FWP involved in my problems. They aren't very good at solving them and issuing more tags on my land usually creates more problems than it is worth. Granted I don't have pivots and alfalfa but clover is somewhat like candy to elk. I seed it with my grass to enhance the protein levels in my hay. By urging the elk to migrate along I don't have need to have land owner tags nor do I have to put up with the average ding dong that can't tell an elk from my horses or cows or go anywhere on my place without motorized involvement.

If you own land, you get ONE tag. Done. No sales no transfers.

60 acres...600...6000...60,000?

“You get one”...my wife and I are on the deed who gets the tag? Can my son or daughter have it one year? What about my mom/sister? Daughter in law?

If I sell the tag for 10k am I more likely to tolerate and therefore “feed” elk on my land during the winter. Does that put more elk on the hill for public land hunters?

If I can sell a voucher or get one for that matter and elk eat my hay all winter, why wouldn’t I put a fence around my whole property. My field is traditional winter range and therefore the elk are losing a lot of their critical habitat.

These are all hypotheticals. I own nothing. You have to think about the angles and effects.

I don't see anything wrong with land owner tags, most elk spend the winter on private land. Are there some bad actors? Yes just like in any other thing out there but there is no prefect answer. There is still more land out west to hunt than in the east, just because you cant draw the tag you want doesn't mean what the west states are doing is totally wrong.

60 acres...600...6000...60,000?

“You get one”...my wife and I are on the deed who gets the tag? Can my son or daughter have it one year? What about my mom/sister? Daughter in law?

If I sell the tag for 10k am I more likely to tolerate and therefore “feed” elk on my land during the winter. Does that put more elk on the hill for public land hunters?

If I can sell a voucher or get one for that matter and elk eat my hay all winter, why wouldn’t I put a fence around my whole property. My field is traditional winter range and therefore the elk are losing a lot of their critical habitat.

These are all hypotheticals. I own nothing. You have to think about the angles and effects.
and you're leaving the state no longer to be a resident...lol

and you're leaving the state no longer to be a resident...lol
Exactly.

Also

All of the major hunting debates

[private land tags, season dates aka hunt the rut, primitive weapon seasons aka crossbow debate, tag allocation R v. NR, technology in the field aka range finding scopes lighted nocks, etc. motorized use aka more roads v less roads.... ebikes, ATVs, etc. min caliber for killing stuff]

can be distilled into a single problem.
1590515224282.png

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back