It's time to do away with landowner tags enough is enough

No you're not, landowner tags in Wyoming are not transferable and can not be bought and sold.

Nice try, but I think you better learn to research first, then rant.

The only truth in your post, in regards to Wyoming landowner tags is that every single tag in the state could potentially go to landowners. There are a very few cases were a majority of LQ tags in some units, for some species, are going to landowners.

I'm not a huge fan of landowner tags, but they have their place if they are not able to be sold. Lots of wildlife lives on private lands, and I reluctantly accept giving something back to the landowners that support our States wildlife.

Correct. People have tried to get away with it under the table though, and when they get caught it's a bad day for them.

If I'm not mistaken, unlawful transfer of a tag was one of the many crimes committed and prosecuted in regards to the Carter family et al poaching case in Ten Sleep that resulted in several felony and misdemeanor convictions.

I wonder about just issuing more PLO tags instead of landowner tags? I'm behind the idea of issuing tags to private land owners to hunt their lands/outfit them... but the having landowner tags that are unit wide is a bit... I dk... just seems like a bit much.
Ugh, PLO. They could be utilized so much better in CO to help them meet their management objectives, but they end up being just another handout to landowners.

Ugh, PLO. They could be utilized so much better in CO to help them meet their management objectives, but they end up being just another handout to landowners.

Oak, I'm not clear on whether there are any PLO tags here in Colorado that have extended/different dates than that of the regular seasons as I was talking to some veteran hunters on my deer hunt this year whom mentioned later dates on PLO tags than what was available to the public (e.g. hunting bucks later than 4th season)? Also, is there any public recordkeeping requirements on what these PLO tags are sold for as I'm especially interested in the unrestricted tags (i.e. those tags that allow hunting on public land as well) as these tags seem to be almost like a raffle tag of publicly-owned wildlife without any mandated benefit to the public?

Last edited:
I understand being passionate about a topic, but this forum has some of the most informed people you are going to find. When you post things like I quoted above, it is not going to slip through the people here. They've been there, done that, and done that again. Enough so that they are probably laughing out loud at that statement above.

If I could make some recommendations, it would be these.

First, lighten up. Every thread you have started so far is something that is wrong with the world. Not saying the world doesn't have a lot of things wrong with it, but being the "Negative Ned" is not a good way to make first impressions. Especially when you get wound up with people pointing out a different perspective.​
Second, know your stuff before you post things. Most everything you've posted on this landowner thread is filled with errors.​
Third, don't confuse people correcting your errors/oversights as being attacks on you, or in this case, some sort of support for landowner vouchers.​

Like I said, this forum has some of the smartest wildlife, political, and conservation minds you will find on the internet. They are going to point out when things are incorrect. They don't do it to be confrontational, but because they know a lot of people read this forum and they want readers to have the proper information.

Hang out here and do some reading, post some pics and stories, and I think you will find it a place with really good people. We don't always get along and on some threads you would think we wanted to thump each other, but as a general rule you will learn more on this forum than most any hunting site you can find.
A big Amen to this! their are many forum sites out their and Im not on them and kinda new here about a year I think but to me their is lots of great info esp. for a Pa guy that heads out west every few yrs
a lot of folks that live in the western states post lots of information and its very helpful

No jealousy or hatred here. Just a staunch supporter of the North American model of wildlife conservation, and as such, one who greatly dislikes commercialization of wildlife.
I agree
I do to, that's why we do not lease our ranch and never will I think any outfitter or guide that leases private land should NOT BE allowed to guide on public land
I can't say never will as we are in the process of selling our ranch (to one of our hands that's been with me for 15 yrs) and he may decide to lease it out.

Landowners sell you the right to trespass and gift you the tag out of um... kindness.
Its very common no need to name individuals. Im told it is legal and it appears they are free to do so.

I’d call it semi legal but more so not enforced. Wouldn’t want to upset landowners/legislators and give the a reason to make a bad program even worse

I’d call it semi legal but more so not enforced. Wouldn’t want to upset landowners/legislators and give the a reason to make a bad program even worse
Iin Montana, you can not gift your tags unless it's, Immediate family

I have always had a sour feeling about landowner preference tags in Montana, but that has revolved around how they work for HD 380.

380 is about 60% private land, but if you break that private land down into parcels that create eligibility, about 30% of the district is owned by 40-some landowners eligible for landowner preference.

For the non-land owning public, your odds of drawing that tag are about 1%. For land owners with preference, it's something like 40%. A friend of mine drew it two years in a row just a couple years ago.

I understand the logic behind them, and as they exist I wouldn't make an effort to cease them, but I would fight like hell against any increase in the 15% allocation in Montana. Part of that reason is that I know a few folks who enjoy landowner preference in 380, and I don't think they look at the tag as an offset for the friction having elk on their land causes. They like elk on their land, and the tag is just a bonus.

The issues we have here in the east is a little different.
People from the large cities are buying up the large parcels of rural land and as soon as the sale is complete throw up no trespassing no hunting signs.
Many of these people have never even been to the property, much less hunt on it.
While we do have thousands of acres of public land, there is at least double that of private land unaccessable.

The issues we have here in the east is a little different.
People from the large cities are buying up the large parcels of rural land and as soon as the sale is complete throw up no trespassing no hunting signs.
Many of these people have never even been to the property, much less hunt on it.
While we do have thousands of acres of public land, there is at least double that of private land unaccessable.

And how is that different from "the west"?

Oak, I'm not clear on whether there are any PLO tags here in Colorado that have extended/different dates than that of the regular seasons as I was talking to some veteran hunters on my deer hunt this year whom mentioned later dates on PLO tags than what was available to the public (e.g. hunting bucks later than 4th season)? Also, is there any public recordkeeping requirements on what these PLO tags are sold for as I'm especially interested in the unrestricted tags (i.e. those tags that allow hunting on public land as well) as these tags seem to be almost like a raffle tag of publicly-owned wildlife without any mandated benefit to the public?
I'm referring to PLO hunt codes, not landowner vouchers. Two different beasts. PLO licenses are obtained by anyone in the draw just like unit-wide licenses. PLO licenses are intended to increase harvest and help to keep elk from congregating on private land during the seasons. But many are either-sex licenses which essentially creates a separate pool of limited licenses for those who can afford to pay trespass fees. And why we have PLO deer licenses is beyond me. A large number of units have 2nd and 3rd season either-sex PLO deer licenses.

Please help me understand when someone works their whole life, saves money and buys to them what is dream property any comment other than “good for them” isn’t used. Why do we get mad when someone puts up no trespassing? Do you allow people to freely walk in your house or backyard? I have a small piece of hunting land. Guy next to me just bought 7000 acres. Running cattle and doesn’t want any hunters. Good for him.
I get public land being sold off by the states to private. But land that is already private changing hands, so what? Ya I know once it was all public. But then The dinosaurs had it then.

And how is that different from "the west"?
It was said about the landowners getting tags.
Here, just because you own land does'nt mean you get hunting tags.
Only way to do it is if you work the land, land has to be at least so many acres.
Then there is crop damage which is separate.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back