Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

It's time to do away with landowner tags enough is enough

Mature Buck

Many western states offer land owner tags for many different species including elk, deer, pronghorn. Landowner tags are a slap in the face to what hunting is all about in the united states. It all started during the birth of our nation on new jersey where large oyster fishermen were trying to stop the little guys from fishing oysters they claimed the oysters were on the land they owned and then moved to the water where the every day man could catch them so the big companies tried to stop the common man from fishing so it went to the supreme court. The court ruled on the disbelief of large companies. The decision was made that the companies could own land but not the animals that lived there and that wildlife belong to the people as a whole. Land owner tags can be bought and sold for thousands of dollars to the highest bidder and allow large outfitter and corporations to steal and make money off of out wildlife. The animals belong to the people and not the few wealthy millionaires it is shameful that they can sell the rights to hunt out wildlife just because they have money. Worst of all in limited entry units landowner tags take priority over all applicants if there are 50 tags on an area and 27 land owners then there are on 23 tags available to the public and there are many units where landowner tags make up more than half off all tags issued this needs to stop there is no reason why a few rich people need to make money off of animals that we as a people collectively own and Rob us of the opportunity to hunt them.

That's not how it works in Montana.

Landowner Preference: Fifteen percent of each hunting district quota for deer B and antelope licenses, and for deer permits is set aside for landowners owning, or contracting to purchase, 160 acres or more of land used primarily for agriculture and located in that hunting district. Fifteen percent of each hunting district quota for elk licenses and permits is set aside for landowners owning, or contracting to purchase, 640 or more acres of land used by elk in that hunting district.

Sorry I'm goin off of Wyoming

No you're not, landowner tags in Wyoming are not transferable and can not be bought and sold.

Nice try, but I think you better learn to research first, then rant.

The only truth in your post, in regards to Wyoming landowner tags is that every single tag in the state could potentially go to landowners. There are a very few cases were a majority of LQ tags in some units, for some species, are going to landowners.

I'm not a huge fan of landowner tags, but they have their place if they are not able to be sold. Lots of wildlife lives on private lands, and I reluctantly accept giving something back to the landowners that support our States wildlife.

Last edited:
My mother in law lives in Oregon. Deer and elk frequesnt her 80 often. When I got into hunting I was all excited for the chance. When she called to inquire about land owner tags, she was told that she couldn't keep the meat, the meat had to be donated! WTF!?

My mother in law lives in Oregon. Deer and elk frequesnt her 80 often. When I got into hunting I was all excited for the chance. When she called to inquire about land owner tags, she was told that she couldn't keep the meat, the meat had to be donated! WTF!?

That's not true at all. If you own 40 acres in Oregon you are guaranteed 2 LOP cow elk tags for your property and the meat is all yours. She must have gotten it confused with damage tags which sometimes do require the meat to be donated. Oregon is all about letting landowners kill off as many elk as they desire. The Trask management unit that I live in is at about 1/2 of the MO yet we continue to kill cows all winter to appease the farmers who mostly hate the government and want to kill every elk they can just to stick it to the man.

How about you do your research before you comment you can buy Arizona and new mexico tags right now I was talking about how the amount of land owner tags in Wyoming is taken out of the limited quota draw tags for the unit and why are you for landowner tags? Wildlife is a public resource so it doesn't make any sense that you should get special privileges to hunt animals because you have land of money

Last edited:
How about you do your research before you comment you can buy Arizona and new mexico tags right now I was talking about how the amount of land owner tags in Wyoming is taken out of the limited quota draw tags for the unit and why are you for landowner tags? Wildlife is a public resource so it doesn't make any sense that you should get special privileges to hunt animals because you have land of money

Oh boy....

How about you do your research before you comment you can buy Arizona and new mexico tags right now .....

I understand being passionate about a topic, but this forum has some of the most informed people you are going to find. When you post things like I quoted above, it is not going to slip through the people here. They've been there, done that, and done that again. Enough so that they are probably laughing out loud at that statement above.

If I could make some recommendations, it would be these.

First, lighten up. Every thread you have started so far is something that is wrong with the world. Not saying the world doesn't have a lot of things wrong with it, but being the "Negative Ned" is not a good way to make first impressions. Especially when you get wound up with people pointing out a different perspective.

Second, know your stuff before you post things. Most everything you've posted on this landowner thread is filled with errors.

Third, don't confuse people correcting your errors/oversights as being attacks on you, or in this case, some sort of support for landowner vouchers.​

Like I said, this forum has some of the smartest wildlife, political, and conservation minds you will find on the internet. They are going to point out when things are incorrect. They don't do it to be confrontational, but because they know a lot of people read this forum and they want readers to have the proper information.

Hang out here and do some reading, post some pics and stories, and I think you will find it a place with really good people. We don't always get along and on some threads you would think we wanted to thump each other, but as a general rule you will learn more on this forum than most any hunting site you can find.

Did you read the part about being "reluctantly" in favor of landowner tags?

IMO, it makes sense to issue a non-transferable landowner tag to a landowner in exchange for them providing habitat to the States wildlife. Its either that or sportsmen pay for game damage.

I'll agree that there are areas where the number of LO tags issued in a handful of Wyoming units for elk, deer, and pronghorn is out of line. I have had numerous discussions with a lot of people on how to address that...haven't come up with a solution yet, but, we're still talking.

What I am absolutely opposed to is transferable LO tags and allowing them to be bought and sold. I will/would fight that all day long, with everything I have, to see that never happens in Wyoming.

Big difference, IMO.

BTW, good luck on acquiring a LO tag for Arizona.

Last edited:
I agree with your opinion on landowner tags.
In Idaho they are transferable but can not be bought or sold.
Every year I could buy a tag in Owyhee Co if I wanted.
The going rate is $10,000 rifle buck or bull I've heard as high as 15 and as low as 4 for one at the start of season.

The problem with Idaho landowner tags is three fold.
1. It's transferable.
2. Its good unit wide not just on the property it was awarded for.
3. They should be antlerless hunts.
Fix any one of those three things and I could live with the system.

Former IDf&g Pat Cudmore on landowner tags

[video=youtube;JRA6AaASC0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRA6AaASC0o[/video]

That's not true at all. If you own 40 acres in Oregon you are guaranteed 2 LOP cow elk tags for your property and the meat is all yours. She must have gotten it confused with damage tags which sometimes do require the meat to be donated. Oregon is all about letting landowners kill off as many elk as they desire. The Trask management unit that I live in is at about 1/2 of the MO yet we continue to kill cows all winter to appease the farmers who mostly hate the government and want to kill every elk they can just to stick it to the man.

Hmm...perhaps I should call them myself. She called them twice and got the same answer. She lives in a very, very small town in eastern Oregon. It'll be good to find out because I know she was stressing about my brother in law not filling his elk tag. They depend on the meat for sure.

Thanks for reply, I'll call them for sure.

Landowner options such as Ranching for Wildlife and others, give landowners an incentive to co-exist with the animals and make it financially feasible to do so. Without some kind of landowner preference, economics win over animal habitat in many instances.

It is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Last edited:
I agree with your opinion on landowner tags.
In Idaho they are transferable but can not be bought or sold.
Every year I could buy a tag in Owyhee Co if I wanted.
The going rate is $10,000 rifle buck or bull I've heard as high as 15 and as low as 4 for one at the start of season.

The problem with Idaho landowner tags is three fold.
1. It's transferable.
2. Its good unit wide not just on the property it was awarded for.
3. They should be antlerless hunts.
Fix any one of those three things and I could live with the system.

Former IDf&g Pat Cudmore on landowner tags

[video=youtube;JRA6AaASC0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRA6AaASC0o[/video]

Sen Bair has a Landowner tag bill for this session. I don't know the details but I'd guess he's promoting open sale of LO tags.

Also in Montana the 640 acres has to be continuos, not a total owned acreage! I know that for a fact. I own 700 +, so I get no land owner preference in the drawing!

"NO COMMENT!",from an "evil landowner".

I'm trying to take some of Randy's perspective on the New Year.

THINK MORE,ACT LESS on what is said by others.....................I'm trying.lol

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back