It’s not just corner hopping…

To get a citizens initiative to cut NR out of MT.

Since you brought it up. Hopefully the wins keep coming for the residents of the state. The bird hunting deal was great this year, hopefully we can keep up the momentum and get closer to a better balance.
 

Since you brought it up. Hopefully the wins keep coming for the residents of the state. The bird hunting deal was great this year, hopefully we can keep up the momentum and get closer to a better balance.
Whatever you guys feel will make it better. I sincerely wish you luck.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DFS
By statute, most state lands exist primarily for the purpose generating revenue for the state to support public education. NOT primarily for the public's recreation. Subtle, but important, difference from federal lands and their charters.

I hunt some state land parcels in MT that mostly are open to recreational use (including hunting) - except when there’s active logging going on and they close them for recreational use. The state has that authority, and I would assume a similar authority for closing them for other reasons. I don’t love it, but I get it.
I’m generally okay with state land being enrolled in Block but on a case by case basis.

I keep going back to the picture on Forky's post #11. 71 ranch is not in BM. The state blocks look specifically exclude from the Bair Type 2 BMA. I also understand if someone paid to plant a crop or run cattle or active logging or whatever on the block, but even in those cases there is a $ payment and specific rules that often still allow hunting. Maybe because this is the Galts, it smells fishy. I can see where Montana residents would like a better explanation and maybe ask to see the receipts. Would it shock anyone if the Galts asked the "right" people for the BM map to be reflected that way?
 
This confuses me further because the left parcel isn't state, its blm.
If it isn't accessible from any other means, you need permission from an adjacent landowner to cross their land to get to the BLM. In a case like this, you might have permission to hunt the adjacent landowner's land via the Block Management, and not have the landowner's permission to access the BLM via their land.
 
It’s easier to complain and fight on a keyboard than to get out and push for change. It hasn’t and is unlikely to ever make it to accounting.
It's made it far further than accounting, in large part because people with keyboards have been out pushing for change. In the 2023 legislative session a bill to cap NR tags (HB 525) (which was ultimately killed not on the merits but moved the needle) spurred the legislature to pass a study bill with the same title in 2025.

The link to information about that bill and how you can use your keyboard to push for change is right here:

 
It's made it far further than accounting, in large part because people with keyboards have been out pushing for change. In the 2023 legislative session a bill to cap NR tags (HB 525) (which was ultimately killed not on the merits but moved the needle) spurred the legislature to pass a study bill with the same title in 2025.
I’m not taking about tweaking the cap. I’m talking about making mule deer hunting resident only like some folks think will solve the issues.
 
I’m not taking about tweaking the cap. I’m talking about making mule deer hunting resident only like some folks think will solve the issues.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anybody suggest that. I like to be a nonresident in other states but with the harvest stats in region 6 and 7 I thinking some tweaking is warranted.
 
In the 2023 legislative session a bill to cap NR tags (HB 525) (which was ultimately killed not on the merits but moved the needle) spurred the legislature to pass a study bill with the same title in 2025.

A study bill? It doesn’t seem like anything has even made it to accounting, perhaps I’m missing something.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,107
Messages
2,249,941
Members
39,094
Latest member
Buckmiser
Back
Top