Is it possible to draw a pronghorn and mule deer tag in Wyoming for crossover hunt dates with a rifle while only having one preference point for each?

WVgoodguy22

I am an extremely new western big game hunter from West Virginia. My youngest brother, my Dad and myself had our first western big game hunt experience in Idaho doing a rifle mule deer hunt in early Oct. Sadly I didn't have the $$$ for my tag, but they did and my brother was successful on a solid 3x3. We saw quite a few pronghorn on our drive through Wyoming and they made for a fun game while we passed the time on our way to and from our hunt. My Uncle and his two sons are planning on doing a rifle pronghorn hunt in Wyoming for 2020, and I would love to go. I have a heart condition, so this would be easier on me than climbing some Teton mountain range. But since I didn't have a mule deer tag last year, I would love to do a two for one combo hunt DIY style in Wyoming. Say that I have 10 days, would it be possible to draw tags for both given that I only have one point for mule deer and one for pronghorn? Hopefully in the same region/units. I know the season dates can crossover in some units even though most of the time pronghorn dates are earlier. I have done some research on GoHunt and it seems like most of the areas that I would have really good draw odds are mostly private with less than 30% public. I was hoping to not have to use a guide/outfitter to save on cost. Also could I put first choice for both species, have one as my second choice in hopes of drawing both? I know that 75% of the tags allotted for NR goes to the highest pref point holder and 25% goes into a random draw. I won't be able to "increase" my odds by doing the "Special" draw, mostly because I can't afford the extra huge jump in price. Any advice would be appreciated. Yes I have many months until the drawing for deer and pronghorn in Wyoming, but doesn't hurt to get ahead of the game and learn.

Sincerely,
Forrest Earnest
"Aspiring Western Big Game Hunter"

If the seasons overlap in that area, then yes. You could go for one general tag and then go after b tags or doe tags "cheaper".

If the seasons overlap in that area, then yes. You could go for one general tag and then go after b tags or doe tags "cheaper".
Okay thank you 🙏🏻 sir. I should say that I am not looking for large trophy animals but solid representation of each species and the experience of the hunt, to gain knowledge of the species firsthand. I will look into those B tags 🏷 that you mentioned.

How many birds are you trying to kill with one stone?
Two. I know it’s tough I just wanted to know if it’s possible? I live really far away and I am not sure if I could make it from West Virginia to Wyoming twice. Would have to look into the cost of plane ✈️ tickets 🎫 and everything else associated with being a traveling 🧳 hunter.

I think you can though harvest rates for one or both may be challenging as might public land access. Pronghorn bucks can toss their horns by early October so you would be looking at hunts that are open prior to end of September.

I think you can though harvest rates for one or both may be challenging as might public land access. Pronghorn bucks can toss their horns by early October so you would be looking at hunts that are open prior to end of September.
Wow 😮 I didn’t know that about pronghorn. I knew that deer 🦌 subspecies shed their antlers in the winter ❄️ but never thought that pronghorns shed their headgear too. We saw bucks with horns in the time that we were driving through there (Oct 7th and 14th) which was early to mid October. Thanks for the heads up.

You most certainly can do what you are looking at. It will likely be in areas with a lot of private land, but keep in mind everything is relative. Most of the areas with limited public land in Wyoming still have a lot of room to wander compared to what people are used to in most of the eastern states.

I’ve only ever hunted antelope the last 1-2 weeks of October and never had trouble finding bucks with their horns intact so I wouldn’t let that deter you too much.

You’ve got 5 months to research this trip. You shouldn’t have a problem putting together something fun.

I've never had trouble finding solid-horned bucks into mid-October. I guess a few might shed by then, but I think most hold on quite a bit longer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on having your tags in the same unit, if you have 10 days to get it done. When I do a combo, I set up camp in my elk or deer area and then just drive about an hour to my pronghorn area. I've done this a few times in Wyoming.

I've never had trouble finding solid-horned bucks into mid-October. I guess a few might shed by then, but I think most hold on quite a bit longer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on having your tags in the same unit, if you have 10 days to get it done. When I do a combo, I set up camp in my elk or deer area and then just drive about an hour to my pronghorn area. I've done this a few times in Wyoming.

This is generally how I work it as well. I have planned it a few times that I kill the deer in the middle of the state and then hunt the pronghorn for 2 days in a unit that I pass through on my drive home.

Thanks 🙏🏻 everyone for the help. I was hopeful that it might work out as long as I plan and play my cards right. I know that pronghorn and mule deer units are not the same and are managed differently. I am not hung up on them being in the same unit. Since I would be there already I would not have a problem driving a couple hours from one to the other one as you all suggested and have stated that you have done. I do have a lot of time to research and plan this out. I have OnX for all states so I can look at access and public land vs private. I suspect mule deer 🦌 would be more difficult to find should I set up for them first then the last two or three days go after pronghorn or do the reverse?
Would I have to put both as first choice hunts or one as first and the other as second? Thanks 🙏🏻 again everyone.

Eh, MAYBE a couple bucks but the vast majority will have them through October. November is when they usually drop. That being said I saw a couple bucks just yesterday that still had both horns.

Eh, MAYBE a couple bucks but the vast majority will have them through October. November is when they usually drop. That being said I saw a couple bucks just yesterday that still had both horns.
Good to know, I would have to plan for the end of Sept beginning of Oct and hunt pronghorn first, which is what I was thinking anyway. Most mule deer rifle seasons don't start until early or mid October, depending on the unit/s.

If you plan your hunt for later in the pronghorn season you will have less pressure on them then and perhaps fill your tag easier, then concentrate on deer.

If you plan your hunt for later in the pronghorn season you will have less pressure on them then and perhaps fill your tag easier, then concentrate on deer.
That makes a ton of sense. We were in Idaho for a mule deer hunt (I didn't have a tag as explained above) in that Oct.7th through 13th time frame and had until the 20th, but my brother tagged out on the 12th and my Dad was tired and wanted to get back home.

Sounds like you're a little confused as to how the application process works. Your deer and antelope applications would be separate. And you would be applying for a deer hunt as a first choice, and an antelope hunt as a first choice, on each application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back