MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Glory Tags

poormanslam

The “Glory Tag” term was floated out here on HT some time ago by Big Fin. Now that I have been able to experience both sides of the situation what do you all think? I have waited over 20-25 years for some tags while being able to hunt yearly in states like Mt and Idaho. It’s been great to be able see each side, and in my mind, certainly advantages to both. I personally would not have traded my strategy. This year a Wyoming sheep tag and a Kaibab late deer hunt. Dramatically different hunts but cherished them both nonetheless. My PP account is still pretty full and I hope to cash those in over the next several years. Anyone else want to weigh in?

The “Glory Tag” term was floated out here on HT some time ago by Big Fin. Now that I have been able to experience both sides of the situation what do you all think? I have waited over 20-25 years for some tags while being able to hunt yearly in states like Mt and Idaho. It’s been great to be able see each side, and in my mind, certainly advantages to both. I personally would not have traded my strategy. This year a Wyoming sheep tag and a Kaibab late deer hunt. Dramatically different hunts but cherished them both nonetheless. My PP account is still pretty full and I hope to cash those in over the next several years. Anyone else want to weigh in?
After cashing in on your points on say the Arizona late kaibab hunt will you get back into the point game or just phase out your other points in other states ?

How did your hunts go?

I'll take all the glory tags I can get.

After cashing in on your points on say the Arizona late kaibab hunt will you get back into the point game or just phase out your other points in other states ?
Because I am a resident of AZ now I will continue to apply. But for other states like Wyoming I have stopped the moose, and now after this, year sheep. Almost zero chance of drawing. In most cases not get back in. I am 61 too old to draw and too old to hunt.

How did your hunts go?

I'll take all the glory tags I can get.
Now that I have had time to digest it. My feelings are that the Wy sheep hunt may be my best adventure of my life. That includes several journeys up North. I did a long thread on it here on HT.

My Kaibab hunt I’m mixed on. From 25 years ago to now the hunt has changed. The demand to get the top end bucks is ferocious. Also AZ residents may only draw it once or twice in their lives so they accompany friends and family. My guess is each tag has at least 4-5 helpers. The Kaibab itself is remarkable. As good an ecosystem for mule deer as I have been in. As long as the deer get water in the summer they will thrive there. A lot of the other threats that are happening in other places simply won’t happen to the Kaibab. If you have a love for mule deer you need to get there at least once during mid to late November time frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1072.jpeg
    IMG_1072.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 53
I’ve hunted two glory or near glory tags in my life and came away with very average animals. If you knew and paid attention to my take, it is that these are glory hunts to me, and I really could barely care less about glory kills. I had quality fun!

I have hunted a few mid-tier hunts and killed some average animals there too. Not much different than glory tags, fun factor was high.

The low-end/OTC hunts have been OK… killed some average animals and had some great moments punctuated by frustrations due to access, other hunters, development/disturbance, and lack of game. I am trying to avoid this tier as much as possible, though its a necessary evil if you want to hunt each year and not evil at all if you have time, are local/familiar with areas, or just lucky. I am none of those three. So I continue to accumulate points all over, in some cases sitting in 26+ for some species. I will never get to use all my points. But my future hunts are hopefully getting better/more predictable.

Now that I have had time to digest it. My feelings are that the Wy sheep hunt may be my best adventure of my life. That includes several journeys up North. I did a long thread on it here on HT.

My Kaibab hunt I’m mixed on. From 25 years ago to now the hunt has changed. The demand to get the top end bucks is ferocious. Also AZ residents may only draw it once or twice in their lives so they accompany friends and family. My guess is each tag has at least 4-5 helpers. The Kaibab itself is remarkable. As good an ecosystem for mule deer as I have been in. As long as the deer get water in the summer they will thrive there. A lot of the other threats that are happening in other places simply won’t happen to the Kaibab. If you have a love for mule deer you need to get there at least once during mid to late November time frame.
Awesome buck! I’ve been looking at the kaibab a lot for my points. I’m way way too far behind to think about the strip and the kaibab is even probably even a pipe dream. The area though is just so appealing and cool. I’ve thought about archery or the early rifle even just so I can hunt it once

I’ve never had anything close to a glory tag and have seriously bad draw luck. I’m hoping the points I have in a couple states can at least get me to something significantly better than what I’m use to in general seasons

The Kaibab is a special place for sure. I drew the archery tag with no points a few years back and didn't really know what I had. Wish I could do it all over again now.

I’ve hunted two glory or near glory tags in my life and came away with very average animals. If you knew and paid attention to my take, it is that these are glory hunts to me, and I really could barely care less about glory kills. I had quality fun!

I have hunted a few mid-tier hunts and killed some average animals there too. Not much different than glory tags, fun factor was high.

The low-end/OTC hunts have been OK… killed some average animals and had some great moments punctuated by frustrations due to access, other hunters, development/disturbance, and lack of game. I am trying to avoid this tier as much as possible, though its a necessary evil if you want to hunt each year and not evil at all if you have time, are local/familiar with areas, or just lucky. I am none of those three. So I continue to accumulate points all over, in some cases sitting in 26+ for some species. I will never get to use all my points. But my future hunts are hopefully getting better/more predictable.
My take on the glory tags is two fold. One, Yes a bigger animal is possible but the allure of fewer hunters in the field is a more desirable aspect. in most cases these two factors go hand in hand. 25 years ago I saw what was happening on Public land in Idaho and Mt for the general seasons. Too many tags for the older age class resource to be plentiful. I cherish those hunts but the appeal of a little older age class animal and less competition has its place as well. My best deer and elk have come from general OTC units. But probably because I have spent way more time on those than the premier high point low tag hunts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back