Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Interesting......

eh, reloading... what?

Heh, no bone in this fight though the irony of the parallels are getting amusing. :D

I just have a hard time believing that golden eagles are getting enough lead from gut piles to even be detectable, much less harmful to them. I've always had trouble buying this.

I couldn't get the article to open, but I've read plenty stuff like it to surmise what it says.

I just have a hard time believing that golden eagles are getting enough lead from gut piles to even be detectable, much less harmful to them. I've always had trouble buying this.

I couldn't get the article to open, butut I've read plenty stuff like it to surmise what it says.
Volunteer with some vets who do chelation on raptors.

I've seen a few gut piles and carcasses in my time, there's not much lead in them. Pretty close to none, I'd bet.

Like I said, I couldn't get the article to open. Is there any consideration that the eagles are getting the lead some place else? Fish, perhaps?

Picked up a sick golden quite a few years ago in Phillips Co (MT) on a prairie dog town. Met someone from Raptor Center and they later confirmed lead poisoning. Bird was able to recover thanks to the Raptor Center.

I've seen a few gut piles and carcasses in my time, there's not much lead in them. Pretty close to none, I'd bet.

Like I said, I couldn't get the article to open. Is there any consideration that the eagles are getting the lead some place else? Fish, perhaps?
There's quite a few studies out there regarding lead and eagles, both migratory and resident from different points around the country.

Look up why you need lead free for the Grand Teton elk hunt.

I was being sarcastic, of course, but maybe they do?

I ask this seriously as guy that kills everything with an arrow shot from a string I pull back.
What's the down side to using nontoxic bullets to kill game that your feeding your family? Why not be prudent and careful considering that there is readily available viable alternatives?

I ask this seriously as guy that kills everything with an arrow shot from a string I pull back.
What's the down side to using nontoxic bullets to kill game that your feeding your family? Why not be prudent and careful considering that there is readily available viable alternatives?

No deal breakers but the downsides are:
1. Higher Cost
2. Copper hunting bullets in general have lesser external and terminal ballistics than lead bullets. They lose velocity faster, are impacted more by wind, and make narrower wound channels.

Back