Caribou Gear

Interesting......

Actually that's misleading. There has never been a study I seen that tests for lead by any other method than a blood test. After ingesting lead it leaves the blood relatively quickly and is then stored in your bones, teeth, brain, etc. For obvious reasons bone biopsy tests havent been done.
This is also a very big flaw in many of the studies because the absence of lead in blood does not eliminate lead poisoning. IIRC the North Dakota study (or perhaps it was another) was delayed in testing, had low levels and thus that data was use by pro traditional ammunition groups without context. Further complicating samples is how much a shooter shoots, lots of time at a range, especially indoors will lead to elevated blood levels. I know this because I've tested myself pre and post shooting.

We have seen elevated lead levels in various groups post hunting seasons, it'd be interesting to test cumulative lead exposure in many of those same groups through x-ray fluorescence.

I eat hot dogs occasionally, the kind with a list of ingredients too long too read..couple times a year, not too often. chared over a open fire with mustard on a bun usually.. saw a study that the charred stuff from grilling causes cancer. Still tastes good.

It’s not that I don’t like raptors, I like the idea of raptors more than one raptor in a headline.

eeeh! maybe y’all are right, I’ll shoot em in the neck with a vld, send the front half to the taxi and eat the shoulder back.

After chatting with Leland with the Non-lead Partnership at a BHA convention I decided game meat shot with lead bullets just wasn't something I was interested in feeding my children anymore. Heaven knows they already have enough blocks stacked against them with 50% of my genes.

I had zero idea that lead fragments traveled that far from the wound channel. Helping birds of prey is just an added bonus that made the decision easier. Also, copper shoots really good in my Tikka, so I'm really not "sacrificing" anything.
I came to the same conclusion.
I could care less if a few Raptors bite the dust, but diminishing my kids cognitive ability fir no reason seems negligent of my parental responsibilities.

I wonder if upland birds shot with lead have the same issue? I don’t upland hunt much anymore and I realize most times you chew softly and spit out and pellets but if the trace amounts the article implies are such a hazard, it would seem that even having one pellet slip by every now and then or microscopic fragmenting would have similar risk. Just food for thought, pun intended.

I eat hot dogs occasionally, the kind with a list of ingredients too long too read..couple times a year, not too often. chared over a open fire with mustard on a bun usually.. saw a study that the charred stuff from grilling causes cancer. Still tastes good.

It’s not that I don’t like raptors, I like the idea of raptors more than one raptor in a headline.

eeeh! maybe y’all are right, I’ll shoot em in the neck with a vld, send the front half to the taxi and eat the shoulder back.
The curative agent in smoked foods is ... are you ready for this ... creosote. If it was terribly toxic, as a species we wouldn't have survived the Stone Age.

The curative agent in smoked foods is ... are you ready for this ... creosote. If it was terribly toxic, as a species we wouldn't have survived the Stone Age.
Creosote is a flaw in smoked food as a result of improper airflow, it makes meat bitter.

Smoke does little to cure compared to dehydration, salt and nitrite/nitrate.

Im not a ammo expert buy any means But I shoot a 17 centerfire for fox and yotes a 17 fireball, and their was a gel block test at the sportsmans show yrs ago when remington was promoting the gun showing how the ammo frags and it looked like 100s of pencil lines drawn into the block the pieces were so small and that makes sence to me due to their is almost zero fur damage they go in dont come out and you cant find the bullet hole with out REALLY looking but it turns the insides to mush
Ill bet many other rounds do the same leaving tainted meat in small animals left in the field

Already starting in Europe and the UK. Places like Germany all animals must be shot with non toxic. Some game dealers in the UK are also starting to insist on non-toxic bullets.

I’m still confused why everyone is so worried about lead projectiles, but fluoride in toothpaste or a water system is good? How about microwave ovens, hairspray, synthetic perfumes and scented candles? Background radiation from the natural environment (including if you like fossils), asphalt parking lots and roads, etc? I’ve heard that lead projectiles need to be banned for a while. Usually comes from the “I’m from the government and I’m here to help” crowd.

I went to lead free bullets for a couple seasons and dealt with what I felt was less than optimum on-game performance from Barnes bullets. They were more expensive, harder to develop a load for (i tried three different weights, two powders, and numerous seating depths, but never could get them to consistently group in one otherwise accurate 30-06), and foul the barrel more. I went back to mostly Accubonds, but use some ballistic tips at lower velocities. They just perform to my expectations better, and I’m not convinced of the hazards that they cause to me and my family compared to the myriad other things that we expose ourselves to daily. And we eat a LOT of venison. Give it to our friends too. In fact, we are having a family over today to eat venison tacos and fajitas with us since they are not “regular venison eaters,” and they think that it has a “gamey flavor” since they don’t really know how to cook it. I do all of this without any guilty conscious.

If I change to lead-free in the future it will be to Hammers, but they cost more than twice as much as Accubonds. I like the way that users claim that Hammers perform. I plan on switching over a little at a time, but I already have a few years’ supply of the NABs and NBTs in stock that I bought on sale from SPS that I plan on using first.

Last edited:
I’m still confused why everyone is so worried about lead projectiles, but fluoride in toothpaste or a water system is good? How about microwave ovens, hairspray, synthetic perfumes and scented candles? Background radiation from the natural environment (including if you like fossils), asphalt parking lots and roads, etc? I’ve heard that lead projectiles need to be banned for a while. Usually comes from the “I’m from the government and I’m here to help” crowd.

I went to lead free bullets for a couple seasons and dealt with what I felt was less than optimum on-game performance from Barnes bullets. I went back to mostly Accubonds, but use some ballistic tips at lower velocities. They just perform to my expectations better, and I’m not convinced of the hazards that they cause to me and my family compared to the myriad other things that we expose ourselves to daily. And we eat a LOT of venison. Give it to our friends too. In fact, we are having a family over today to eat venison tacos and fajitas with us since they are not “regular venison eaters,” and they think that it has a “gamey flavor” since they don’t really know how to cook it. I do all of this without any guilty conscious.

If I change to lead-free in the future it will be to Hammers, but they cost more than twice as much as Accubonds. I like the way that users claim that Hammers perform. I plan on switching over a little at a time, but I already have a few years’ supply of the NABs and NBTs in stock that I bought on sale from SPS that I plan on using first.
The science in regards to lead being harmful, even in small amounts is pretty mature...

Back