Interesting......

Understood. With wolves in a big way. Now birds in the Bitterroot. mtmuley
It is a method for writers. It doesn't matter the subject. It could be an article on the NRA website or Brietbart, or Wash Post or NYT. A reader is more likely to take action if the story is more personal.

It is a method for writers. It doesn't matter the subject. It could be an article on the NRA website or Brietbart, or Wash Post or NYT. A reader is more likely to take action if the story is more personal.
Uphill battle. mtmuley

Give up what? What "philosophy"? mtmuley
So I admit that we may have went in opposite directions here. Your tendency to answer in fragmented sentences is probably the reason. If you want to go back and explain what is the “uphill battle” maybe we can get back on track.

I switched over to lead free bullets for big game hunting purposes years ago. No enthused about feeding my family lead fragments.
I still use lead and copper based bullets on Varmints and will not switch until it becomes illegal.

I shoot copper anyway so don't really have a dog in the fight. There is zero evidence, though, that ingesting big game shot with lead bullets has resulted in elevated lead levels in humans, which was implied in the article.

I shoot copper anyway so don't really have a dog in the fight. There is zero evidence, though, that ingesting big game shot with lead bullets has resulted in elevated lead levels in humans, which was implied in the article.

Interesting use of the word zero when there are several studies indicating the contrary.

Interesting use of the word zero when there are several studies indicating the contrary.
Really? Let's see them. Unless one has dentures made of steel, I can't see how enough bullet fragments or lead pellets could be ingested to reach toxic levels. The stuff goes through our digestive system too quickly. Look at what happened in Flint, Michigan. Those poor folks were consuming lead contaminated water on a daily basis for a very long period and only small children and pets were detrimentally affected. As I recall, no one died. The scandal involved all the governments - local, state, and federal - ignoring the treatment plant contamination long after it was discovered. A huge cover up that eventually sent some officials to jail and cost one of George W's cabinet her job. She's lucky she didn't end up in prison.

"Death" is not the overly concerning part of lead exposure. This risk of dying from lead poisoning due to eating wild game is extremely low. But having slightly dumber kids is a real risk.

I don't claim to know enough to make any definitive statements on the subject, but I'm leaning towards better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• quebec_lead.pdf
    924 KB · Views: 7
Primary literature for those interested:

Acute and even chronic lead exposure rarely leads to death. But it can lead to permanent, irreversible:

Cardiovascular damage
Kidney damage
Liver damage
Brain damage
Nerve damage
Reproductive dysfunction
Birth defects

Additionally, it does not pass rapidly from the body as suggested above. Lead toxicity is cumulative. It is sequestered in bones and teeth and accumulates over time. It is then released slowly over time into the blood stream, which is why it is a particular concern for pregnant women and is a significant exposure to the developing fetus. Simply saying if it doesn’t kill you outright, there’s nothing to worry about is pretty ignorant.

If you are an old guy with no other routes of lead exposure, you probably have little to worry about. If, however, you have additional routes of exposure, you are trying to start a family or have small children, you might not be so blasé about it. Either way, it doesn’t hurt for people to assess the risks and decide for themselves what ammo they are comfortable using.

Primary literature for those interested:

Acute and even chronic lead exposure rarely leads to death. But it can lead to permanent, irreversible:

Cardiovascular damage
Kidney damage
Liver damage
Brain damage
Nerve damage
Reproductive dysfunction
Birth defects

Additionally, it does not pass rapidly from the body as suggested above. Lead toxicity is cumulative. It is sequestered in bones and teeth and accumulates over time. It is then released slowly over time into the blood stream, which is why it is a particular concern for pregnant women and is a significant exposure to the developing fetus. Simply saying if it doesn’t kill you outright, there’s nothing to worry about is pretty ignorant.

If you are an old guy with no other routes of lead exposure, you probably have little to worry about. If, however, you have additional routes of exposure, you are trying to start a family or have small children, you might not be so blasé about it. Either way, it doesn’t hurt for people to assess the risks and decide for themselves what ammo they are comfortable using.

Imma pay HW to do all the term papers that SAJ-99 assigns from now on.....

Just think of all the problems that people had but didn’t even know about up until the last 10 years. I mean people have been and using lead projectiles since firearms where invented and now we find out that they are a huge health risk.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back