Interesting Idea on NR license fees

I really like the idea a state sets a minimum NR fee then surcharges are applied based on the state where you reside as you go to purchase a NR tag.

State A charges $800 for an elk tag and $500 for an a deer tag for a NR. State B charges $300 for a deer tag for a NR. State C charges $1200 for an elk tag, $600 for a deer tag and $200 for a pronghorn tag.

Resident from State C goes to A and they do not get the base NR rate but pay a surcharge so is in total $1200 for elk and $500 for deer. In fairness, applicants need sorted by state then each state gets limited to "up to" X % of tags.

Another way to level the filed. If State A offers up to 10% to NR and State C offers up to 5% then as soon as 5% of tags are awarded to NR by State A then all the remaining applications from State C get tossed.

Finally, if State A allows 10 days for their season and State C allows 5 then tags for NR from State C are only valid for 5 days.

A state can be as petty as want as they rightfully manage wildlife though their residents get to enjoy the same treatment when they are a non-resident applicant and hunter.

One other thought- I love the thought of someone not “from here” getting that first experience of hearing a buck chasing a doe for the first time, hearing the crunching oak leaves and knowing exactly what is happening before they even see it. Standing up, grabbing their bow and then there they are.

That’s a super cool thing to me, and I’m happy to think that people get to experience that for the first time. It doesn’t really matter where they are from, and don’t want to let $ prevent them from it. Besides, they will spend enough at the bar anyway if it’s an authentic Wisconsin experience, we all win.

I never got a questionnaire to fill out 😞
And yes, we do have some of the cheapest NR tag fees in the nation, but never once did I think while hunting that there were too many NR hunters in this state. Matter of fact, I hardly ever see any out of state plates during any of our seasons and I would never point my finger at a NR and blame them for the sad state of our deer herd in the northern half of our state. (Looking at you Montana 😆)

I think maybe a slight increase wouldn't be out of the question, but to match other states NR fees would probably only sour relations and probably set the precedent to begin some sort of NR tag fee arms race. We would only hurt ourselves.

1st time NR WI buck tag is 1/2 off price. Less than $100 to shoot a spiker over bait. Oh, man, sign me up!

I talked with an IA NRLO the other day who buys auction tags so he can hunt bucks on his property in years he does not draw a tag. Wanna gander at how much those go for?
3298D865-DE46-45C8-B634-0E7B3B927E17.jpeg

A fair number of Iowa plates to be seen in southwest Wis. for our gun seasons . Fact is there is quite a few Wisconsin guys have moved across the Mississippi just to be able to hunt Iowa every year as a resident. Coming back and also hunting Wisconsin with The low cost of Wis. non res. tags is a sweet deal !

I never got a questionnaire to fill out 😞
And yes, we do have some of the cheapest NR tag fees in the nation, but never once did I think while hunting that there were too many NR hunters in this state.
I remember reading a report a few years ago that broke down the entire season harvest. Through all seasons, it was something crazy low like 3% of all deer were shot by non residents and 2.something% of those non residents were from Illinois.

Wisconsin and whatever NR policies I has or wants to make or change don't mean shit to our state except for the fact of drawing them in to our bars to spend money rather than shoot something (which is what most of those darn useless fibs do anyways)! :)

Wisconsin and whatever NR policies I has or wants to make or change don't mean shit to our state except for the fact of drawing them in to our bars to spend money rather than shoot something (which is what most of those darn useless fibs do anyways)! :)
Hear me out...

Charge NR $9 for a busch latte

That would amount to $100+ a day for the average hunter, just in beer costs alone. How many working guys can really afford to do that? Plus, how are they going to get their kids into beer drinking while on a hunting trip? If you wait until their late teens it may be too late to cultivate their interest.

I really don’t like the thought of pricing-out the average blue collar guy from an opportunity to get shitfaced drunk every night for a week straight. That really should be available to everyone.

This would be so tough to implement, but in the south we believe in being nice to our neighbors and visitors (bless their heart). A non resident can come here and shoot 8 deer (5 on public) for like $450. If you hunt on private its only $375. So I'm very very in favor of this idea, lol.

Sounds like a bunch of red tape, hard work, and costs for agencies that are squeezed more and more every year.

States come up with the prices, people pay, even this simple task is a ton of work.

It’s good to have ideas and kudos to the OP on this one . I just don’t agree with it or think it would work I think it would be too hard to keep straight . But ideas are good.

They should let Montana FWP spearhead this endeavor, Lord knows they won't f*ck it up.
Don’t talk bad about the FWP . They are hand picking through who gets tags and special permits right now . Making sure members of the FWP and members of certain family’s get LE tags as usual . Then next week they’ll have a draw for the peasants .

Back