Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Interesting Idea on NR license fees

WIbiggame

So I think this is the right place for this. I was just filling out our states (WI) annual spring conservation congress survey.

And one of the submitted questions got me thinking. And figured I would pose the question here.

The question read: Would you support the state changing the fee for NR licenses to reflect what the hunters home state charges for NR. For example a WI NR deer tag is $160 where as an IA NR tag is $644. And MN NR is $185. So should WI charge any IA resident wanting to hunt WI the $644 where as a MN hunter would only be charged $185.

So I think this is the right place for this. I was just filling out our states (WI) annual spring conservation congress survey.

And one of the submitted questions got me thinking. And figured I would pose the question here.

The question read: Would you support the state changing the fee for NR licenses to reflect what the hunters home state charges for NR. For example a WI NR deer tag is $160 where as an IA NR tag is $644. And MN NR is $185. So should WI charge any IA resident wanting to hunt WI the $644 where as a MN hunter would only be charged $185.

sounds like a preference point scheme, i.e. ridiculous.

It would be very difficult impossible to implement.

Tags change all the time, and aren't sold applies to apples.

MA = hunting license comes with 2 deer tags
CO = Deer tag for a specific unit, price the same for muley or whitetail
etc etc

CO = Deer tag for a specific unit, price the same for muley or whitetail
etc etc
And how would you check whether people told the truth if they're ordering a license online? It's a clever idea, but I can't see how it could be implemented.

How does it sound like a preference point system? I fail to see the connection sorry.

in that it's ridiculous ;)

i mean, i guess just my opinion is why the heck are we always trying to add unnecessary complexity to things?

what's the motivation? will it cause other states to reconsider NR price hikes? show favoritism to states? is it a money gaining proposition or money losing proposition?

CO = Deer tag, good for muley or whitetail
etc etc
I think you would have to take the variants into account. Depending on county WI tags come with 1 buck tag and upto 3 additional doe tags at the set NR cost. Some counties issue no extra included doe tags some 1 or 2.

And I agree would be hard with western states that have mule and whitetail tags sold together.

And how would you check whether people told the truth if they're ordering a license online? It's a clever idea, but I can't see how it could be implemented.
In order to apply for a WI license like any place you need to provide proof of residency. Anyone applying in western states now could lie about residency status. Does it happen probably is it alot? I am not sure.

In order to apply for a WI license like any place you need to provide proof of residency. Anyone applying in western states now could lie about residency status. Does it happen probably is it alot? I am not sure.
Sort of, but when I apply in Colorado, it's just asking me if I'm a NR, not whether I'm a resident of Iowa, or Delaware. New levels of complication for enforcement.

Sort of, but when I apply in Colorado, it's just asking me if I'm a NR, not whether I'm a resident of Iowa, or Delaware. New levels of complication for enforcement.
I am not a computer programmer but it seems it would be a "simple" "if then this code" to write when you fill out your address you need to put what state you are an resident and the program would kick out that price?

Not disagreeing with you at all was just spit balling. I did vote I do not support it but was an interesting take I thought.

States do something similar for trapping. If your state doesn’t allow trapping of a certain animal by NRs, you can’t trap that animal in states that do allow NRs to trap it.

States could create a minimum price level for a NR tag or your state NR price. If the NR price is $300 and your state NR price is $200, you pay $300. If your state NR price is $600, your price is increased to $600.

I’m not saying I agree but it’s possible. It seems everyone hates NRs these days.

It sounds to me like the purpose would be to encourage states to reconsider their NR tag fees. With a license, you usually have to provide some type of ID and home address so it should be fairly simple to implement. There are, of course, complexities that were pointed out above that would have to be worked out. It seems like this would be easier to implement in the midwest and eastern states where deer are the primary big game. Probably a bit harder for western states (e.g., what if you want to come from Illinois to hunt elk in Wyoming? Illinois has no elk licenses so how is the cost determined?).

Definitely an interesting question.

I’m not saying I agree but it’s possible. It seems everyone hates NRs these days.
Yeah I think our license is dirt cheap at $185 for upto 4 deer in some areas. Prices could for sure increase. But this seems a little extreme.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back