Interbond or Accubond ?

I know this bullet was not one of the options being considered, but I nominate it for consideration - Nosler E-Tip.

Nosler makes a lot of bullets for other ammo companies and those bullets then get branded something else by that ammo company. Nosler produces the Trophy Copper bullet that Federal sells. It is the E-tip bullet, with a different colored tip. It has been my bullet of choice since first using it in 2012. Every animal I took in 2014 and 2015 was taken with the E-tip, as it was for most of our guest hunters.

Here is a 165 grain Trophy Copper that was extracted from my elk this year. It was from a .308 at 309 yards. The two shots at 198 yards were complete pass through shots and no bullet recovered. This bullet was recovered from just under the skin of the off side shoulder after a heart shot; a shot probably not necessary, but when elk are standing I am shooting, no matter the situation.

I have not measured it for weight retention, but it is very high. This has been the same result when I have shot other animals with the E-Tip and Trophy Copper.

20151030_160330-001.jpg

When we used Federal ammo exclusively, they had us shoot Accubonds in any rifle that was not a .30 caliber. They shot very, very well, both in terms of accuracy and lethality. In my case, I was the weak link in any equation that involved a shooter (me), a rifle, a scope, and a quality bullet like the Accubond and E-Tip.

In 2014 I did three episodes for RMEF Team Elk and they were sponsored by Nosler ammo. All three elk we killed were drop dead shots at over 250 yards; one with 180 grain LR Accubonds at 330 yards and two with .308 Win 165 grain Partitions. All our elk taken this year were with either Accubonds or E-Tips. I expect to use E-tips exclusively next year, with the exception of antelope, which will be chased with Accubonds.

Here is a picture of one of 2 bullets that was recovered from my wifes bull this year, shot with 140 accubonds from a 7-08.

She shot it twice, through the heart and I recovered the bullet pictured while quartering the bull. I found the second one (not pictured) when I was cutting up the shoulder.

The one in the picture weighs 94.1 grains (retained 67%), the second one not pictured weighed 88.4 grain (63%).

DSC00991.JPG

I've recovered a handful of AB's in both the 140 and 160 grain in the .284/7MM and they all looked very similar and 60-75% weight retention.

I found about the same type of performance with the partitions as well.

Lots of good bullet choices out there, but I'm still not sold on the all copper bullets, but in fairness I haven't shot many of them either.

I used Barnes in Fed.Trophy ammo for years till they dropped Barnes bullets,then switched to the Noslers w/AB.
I like the Barnes bullets better,but those 165's from Nosler in AB are even better for groups in my 700.
Like the difference between 1/2" @100 and 5/8"...
All the Barnes I've ever recovered have been almost completely intact,one had a petal missing.

I wonder how the new Fed. ammo BF uses works in my 700 now?

Pics of the only recovered Interbonds that I've shot.

150 grn .277. Both punched heavy bone, muscle and vitals at 80 yards.

77 grns and 86 grns, not spectacular retention, but effective.

T Bone,

I've got a box of 150gr IB's sitting around if you want to buy another box.

I have shot a lot of interlocks and partitions, but the only animal that I have killed with an ab (an antelope this year), died where he stood and the bullet looked like the previously posted pics. It destroyed the heart area and passed through the opposite elbow coming to rest under the skin. I wish that I had bought about a thousand 140's when SPS had them in the blems.

I know this bullet was not one of the options being considered, but I nominate it for consideration - Nosler E-Tip.

Nosler makes a lot of bullets for other ammo companies and those bullets then get branded something else by that ammo company. Nosler produces the Trophy Copper bullet that Federal sells. It is the E-tip bullet, with a different colored tip. It has been my bullet of choice since first using it in 2012. Every animal I took in 2014 and 2015 was taken with the E-tip, as it was for most of our guest hunters.

Here is a 165 grain Trophy Copper that was extracted from my elk this year. It was from a .308 at 309 yards. The two shots at 198 yards were complete pass through shots and no bullet recovered. This bullet was recovered from just under the skin of the off side shoulder after a heart shot; a shot probably not necessary, but when elk are standing I am shooting, no matter the situation.

I have not measured it for weight retention, but it is very high. This has been the same result when I have shot other animals with the E-Tip and Trophy Copper.

View attachment 51008

When we used Federal ammo exclusively, they had us shoot Accubonds in any rifle that was not a .30 caliber. They shot very, very well, both in terms of accuracy and lethality. In my case, I was the weak link in any equation that involved a shooter (me), a rifle, a scope, and a quality bullet like the Accubond and E-Tip.

In 2014 I did three episodes for RMEF Team Elk and they were sponsored by Nosler ammo. All three elk we killed were drop dead shots at over 250 yards; one with 180 grain LR Accubonds at 330 yards and two with .308 Win 165 grain Partitions. All our elk taken this year were with either Accubonds or E-Tips. I expect to use E-tips exclusively next year, with the exception of antelope, which will be chased with Accubonds.

I have recovered just 2 BarnesX bullets, a 235 gr. .375 and a 165gr. .308. They look just like your E-tip. Over 90% weight retention, and my rifles like them.

both are great

My '06 A bolt loved Interbonds and I pancaked a few big mulies with them, and I mean no steps taken pancaked. Same with whitetails. I haven't been able to get them for a couple years, so before my elk hunt last year, I switched to Accubonds - 165 gr. I shot .75" groups at 100 yds. and ended up crushing a big mature bull at 375 yds - he made it about 10 yds. His shoulder was destroyed. I would have never switched from Interbonds, but that's Hornday's fault. Now I will never switch from Accubonds.

I got my Accubonds a couple days ago. Going to forget about the
interbonds. Even if I find some,Why work on a load with a bullet that is that hard find . Sorry Hornady.

My '06 A bolt loved Interbonds and I pancaked a few big mulies with them, and I mean no steps taken pancaked. Same with whitetails. I haven't been able to get them for a couple years, so before my elk hunt last year, I switched to Accubonds - 165 gr. I shot .75" groups at 100 yds. and ended up crushing a big mature bull at 375 yds - he made it about 10 yds. His shoulder was destroyed. I would have never switched from Interbonds, but that's Hornday's fault. Now I will never switch from Accubonds.

Good choice. I don't know what Hornady's problem is. I am kind of wondering if there is some litigation over the design (possibly too much of an Accubond copy). It seems like they are spending their time designing crap like pistol safes etc., instead of keeping their bullets on the shelf.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back