Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Im bowing out

Reminds me of my days in rural ND, a “conservative” place with a love for free markets, except for ag inputs, crop prices and land sales. ;)

Some of the ag folks I know from my NDSU days were questioning their Trump support when countries responded to import tariffs with their they own measure against US ag exports.

I'll tell you who's probably considering a career change, home inspectors. My cousins father in law, owns an inspection business. Not doing too well financially at the moment. Not exactly in the position to start a new career 4 years from retirement.
Can he rebrand and offer “Dad walkthroughs”.

“Did you buy that house without an inspection, are you a yuppie, do hammers make you nervous, call xxx-xxx-xxxx and we will go through your home and tell you what to fix now you idiot.”

Honestly would consider using that service in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can he rebrand and offer “Dad walkthroughs”.

“Did you buy that house without an inspection, are you a yuppy, do hammers make you nervous, call xxx-xxx-xxxx and we will go through your home and tell you what to fix now you idiot.”

Honestly would consider using that service in the future.
You mean I could have charged my daughter/SIL for that service? ;)

I'll tell you who's probably considering a career change, home inspectors. My cousins father in law, owns an inspection business. Not doing too well financially at the moment. Not exactly in the position to start a new career 4 years from retirement.
People aren’t electing to have a home inspection as to make their offer more attractive?

Housing is becoming "as is, where is", "cash on the spot" type of transaction. There will definitely be some sad buyers coming out of this.
Yah, that one we let go the other day hurt. House was laid out exactly how I build one to a "t". Then you sit and think can I afford this, probably but it's going to be a tough nut to crack every month. That's no way to live, just so you could say you outbid the other guy. Instant gratification for 30 years of regret.

65(a) If your child's spouse is the 'handy' one inspection may be conducted with beer* in hand and comments may be heavily sarcastic in nature.
*Beer to be provided at homeowner's expense. Beer quality shall be no less than one (1) degree above that which is typically stocked at the home of the "inspector." Degrees of beer quality solely determined by the "inspector."

Freaking millenials.🙃
Ahem.

Bullsnot.

Quote from the article (emphasis mine): "In a new survey by Real Estate Witch, 90% of millennials said they would buy a house sight unseen. Because homes are selling at such a rapid pace these days, millennial buyers may be willing to put in an offer on a home based on a listing alone -- without actually going to view that home in person."

I did this. But I also had a home inspection and appraisal. The first time I saw my house in person was during the final walkthrough right before closing and that was honestly irrelevant after the inspection and appraisal. Those guys are the professionals and there's not a chance in Hades I'd have spotted something they didn't.

Talk about a boomer mindset, "Well, I know those professionals looked at it. But they have missed something THIS trained eye might catch. My years sitting behind a desk/working manual labor/fixed diesel engines/etc. surely qualify me as a building inspector!"

That's how you end up with jokes like this:

1648745040224.png

Regarding @nick87's comment, that's an entirely separate issue lol. Do your research or get a referral for an inspector worth his/her salt.

Last edited:
That's retarded.
Care to explain further?

I guess I can add more information. My realtor did a live video walkthrough with us before we put the offer in (probably spent nearly an hour walking through with us live), the house was only 6 months old and we were the first owners, the builder has a solid reputation in the local community and has been building in the area for probably 40+ years, etc.

My point is, stupid talking points from articles like that fail to paint a nuanced picture. And jumping to conclusions like you did are pointless. The world is very different now compared to when people were buying their first home even 10 year ago, let alone 20-50 years ago.

Care to explain further?

I guess I can add more information. My realtor did a live video walkthrough with us before we put the offer in (probably spent nearly an hour walking through with us live), the house was only 6 months old and we were the first owners, the builder has a solid reputation in the local community and has been building in the area for probably 40+ years, etc.

My point is, stupid talking points from articles like that fail to paint a nuanced picture. And jumping to conclusions like you did are pointless. The world is very different now compared to when people were buying their first home even 10 year ago, let alone 20-50 years ago.
If that's for you go for it. There's not a chance in hell for me.
Those guys are the professionals
Just off the top of my head to touch on professionals the last 12 months

Proffesionals- inflation is only temporary

Proffesionals-mortgage rates might be up a little over 4% by the end of 2022

Proffesionals-covid vaccine will stop the spread.
download.jpeg-7.jpg
All of those sure sounded rosey from the "proffesionals" sure wish they were all even remotely close to being right about that. I can't imagine trusting someone I've never met before to make a decision on buying something like that. Maybe if I was in question about something and asking a proffesional there opinion. Definitely not hey guy your a proffesional you think its good, thanks well take it I don't need to have a look. I could see putting in an offer without physically walking through if your out of town etc but to not at least physically look before your attorney review period no way jose.

Last edited:
Back