Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I’m about tired of hammers...

Happens. Great bullets. More than one example of Hammers shooting in a finicky rifle. They shoot, and they kill. mtmuley
They don't work in every rifle. I have a 6.5 PRC and nope. Won't shoot the 124's.
And I have a 7mm rem mag that will not shoot the 143 HH or the 150 shock hammers. And I find seating depth is also important with hammers. All be it maybe not quit as picky as others but it does take some messing around. At least they did in 5 of my rifles. Could not get them to shoot in my sons 300 win mag either. In my rifles that they do work they work very good.

They don't work in every rifle. I have a 6.5 PRC and nope. Won't shoot the 124's.
And I have a 7mm rem mag that will not shoot the 143 HH or the 150 shock hammers. And I find seating depth is also important with hammers. All be it maybe not quit as picky as others but it does take some messing around. At least they did in 5 of my rifles. Could not get them to shoot in my sons 300 win mag either. In my rifles that they do work they work very good.

If a bullet works in one gun, it should work in another as long as the twist is appropriate. If it doesn’t work in the second gun, I would question the gun or the methods more than the bullet.

I’ve never shot Hammers. I suppose it’s possible that they are a bit finicky, but if they are a good bullet, you should be able to make them shoot as well as any other good bullet.

Thanks tom. mtmuley

I am in the process of a 280 Ai build and I am looking at either the 155 Hammer hunters or the Absolute Hammers for an Elk round. Should be fun getting it dialed in.

I messed around with some 152 Hammer Hunters in my 300 Weatherby today. Loaded a 10 shot ladder with RL26. I thought this was cool:

4E93579C-E5D5-46DB-8226-4F3A159B2571.jpeg

Starting load was 80 grains @ 3008
Last load was 87.5 grains @ 3393

So a charge difference of 7.5 grains and velocity spread of 385 fps, and they still grouped like that. Never reached any pressure signs. Amazing.

I just ordered three sample packs from Hammer. One of which is the 101 grain Hammer Hunter in .284". I am hoping it is a solution for a Browning Micro I have in .284 Winchester. Being a short action with a box magazine it has been a chore to find a load that would allow me to get anywhere near the lands without running out of magazine space. The load I have been using is with 145 grain Speer Grand Slam. (.9" ish in length)
I haven't fired the rifle in 8 years. Looking forward to blowing the dust off of it and seeing how it likes the Hammers.

Are you using bullets appropriate for the barrel twist rate? As in you actually checked the twist rate?

Interesting cartridges going to Africa with Hammer. .30-.30, .17 Hornet, a .270 Sherman and .22 Creedmoor. They also took a 6.5 PRC sounds like as backup. Terminal performance should be interesting. If those cartridges and Hammer bullets perform on African game, sure says something about the bullet. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back