I’m about tired of hammers...

Very nicely done!! Using the 284 case in a Tikka seems like a very good fit. LA magazines? A rechamber of my 260 would be an easy sell to me...
You'd need a new bolt too, wouldn't you? I think that .284 base is wider than a .260.

Ballistically, isn't the .284 Win a twin to the .280 rem?

Yep long action magazines. You’d have to change out the bolt stop or cut the one down you have which is simple enough
Just looked at the bolt stop kit at Brownell's, $84. I swear it was about $40 a few years ago...for that money I'd take a grinder to it for sure!

About tired of hammers making reloading so boring. Took a whole 17 rounds to find this load. I actually didn’t believe it so I went and loaded a couple more and tested again and they shot same POI. Was really on my game today. I think this is the load I’ll run in the tikka 284 Winchester .
View attachment 177928
Not bad, almost hit what you were aiming at. Also I wouldn't consider one shot a group...Joking. Impressive!

You'd need a new bolt too, wouldn't you? I think that .284 base is wider than a .260.

Ballistically, isn't the .284 Win a twin to the .280 rem?
Nope same bolt face. Just fatter body. Only reason I went 284 as the tikka action length I feel hamstrings the 280 case if wanting to run longer bullets. Other than that the 284 and 280 are twins.

I did the same thing. I bought the long action magazine for my 7-08 so wouldn’t be limited to the 2.830 mag length with longer bullets. . My Tikka has a super deep throat (coal for ogive into to the lands would be 2.976). File the bolt stop back until you get clean pick up. 👍

Wow. If my math is right, that means your jump would be .400" if you were instead loading to the short action mag length. ((3.190 + .040) - 2.830).
I nicknamed my Tikka The High Class Hooker, aka Big Mouth; Deep Throat. Sounds like they may be sisters. :ROFLMAO:
I actually had mine throated this way. Let me seat 160 grain accubonds 150 grain ballistic tips and 140 grain accubonds all in the neck area of the case. And here I am shooting hammers

Happens. Great bullets. More than one example of Hammers shooting in a finicky rifle. They shoot, and they kill. mtmuley
I’m not sure if the gun is finicky. Only bullet I’ve tried is hammers. Don’t see a reason to try the others now. And you can actually get hammers right now

I’m not sure if the gun is finicky. Only bullet I’ve tried is hammers. Don’t see a reason to try the others now. And you can actually get hammers right now
I just was mentioning that a Hammer might shoot when other bullets don't. I wouldn't feed that rifle of yours anything else but a Hammer. mtmuley

Almost makes me want to try Hammers or a .284Win. Almost.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back