If you know, you know

And yet nobody wants to do away with otc tags, because "that's the way we've always done it."

A story like this, if true, would make the news cycle right? 27 wildlife/poaching infractions? Until I see some proof this sounds like a tall tale.
and that is why i posted here. nothing in the dillon tribune or other Montana papers. my friend is not one to exaggerate or make this up. so i believe him...but i thought i'd bring the tale here to see if anyone else beside him can corroborate. another buddy is headed down tomorrow and he'll look into it for me too and then i'll be down next week. nothing earth shattering here, i know, was just wondering the validity of the story, and if true or not, it makes me sad.

and that is why i posted here. nothing in the dillon tribune or other Montana papers. my friend is not one to exaggerate or make this up. so i believe him...but i thought i'd bring the tale here to see if anyone else beside him can corroborate. another buddy is headed down tomorrow and he'll look into it for me too and then i'll be down next week. nothing earth shattering here, i know, was just wondering the validity of the story, and if true or not, it makes me sad.

One of the big one of these I recall in recent years was the herd shoot massacre on the Caitlin Ranch BMA near Ringling a few years ago. If I remember - and someone can correct me if I am wrong - there wasnt any news articles on this particular incident, horrible as it was.

One of the big one of these I recall in recent years was the herd shoot massacre on the Caitlin Ranch BMA near Ringling a few years ago. If I remember - and someone can correct me if I am wrong - there wasnt any news articles on this particular incident, horrible as it was.
Nevermind. I should have Binged before I posted.

Nevermind. I should have Binged before I posted.

was gonna say, i think this did make the news. one of my favorite things to do when I'm hunting is to shoot the shit with old timers on the road. this story came up a lot. so, it also makes me think, just because it's not in the paper now, doesn't mean it won't eventually come out. who knows. at least we have some fodder here.

Might be worth a call to FWP’s R3 office if anyone (OP) is really concerned about the veracity of the story?

Might be worth a call to FWP’s R3 office if anyone (OP) is really concerned about the veracity of the story?
i thought the same. i only call them for info on the region....like bear activity, fires, road closures, etc....i doubt, if it's an ongoing investigation, they'd wanna chat me up about poachers....who knows?

Bring popcorn, beer and go sit and watch the events on the National Elk Refuge during the late season hunts. It'll make this story normal.

I heard whats is maybe a urban rural legend about a fellow that shot a buck and upon making it to the dead buck couldnt find the bullet entry. The buck, being dead, was tossed in the bed - with topper - of said fella's pickup truck without being field dressed since it couldnt be driven right up to (as is the Montana way). On the ride home, chaos ensued as the rear window of the truck was kicked out by an angry deer along with a host of other damage caused by this thrashing beast confined to the bed - with topper - of a pickup. The rear was opened after hurriedly pulling off the road, and off the buck went. The thought is that the deer was knocked unconscious by a shot to one of the antlers.

I cannot verify the veracity of this story, though I have heard it - with names - on more than one occasion.
Happened to my friend Tom, they got it on video

When I was maybe 8 years old my I was coon hunting with my dad and cousin. When we pulled back into our house one of them apparently came to and hopped the tailgate. The next 60 seconds can only be explained as pure chaos chasing him all over the fromt yardand the coon was dispatched with a large mag light. There was snow on the ground and the next morning my school bus picked me up I will never forget the look on the bus drivers face looking at all the blood and footprints in the yard, she seemed concerned to say the least.

When I was maybe 8 years old my I was coon hunting with my dad and cousin. When we pulled back into our house one of them apparently came to and hopped the tailgate. The next 60 seconds can only be explained as pure chaos chasing him all over the fromt yardand the coon was dispatched with a large mag light. There was snow on the ground and the next morning my school bus picked me up I will never forget the look on the bus drivers face looking at all the blood and footprints in the yard, she seemed concerned to say the least.
Popped one years ago in the head and tossed it in front of the garage. Put the rifle away and went back out to take care of the coon. It sucked in a breath. Hmm. Then another. They started coming closer together and I figured I better make SURE it was dead. Hammer to the skull did the trick.

Popped one years ago in the head and tossed it in front of the garage. Put the rifle away and went back out to take care of the coon. It sucked in a breath. Hmm. Then another. They started coming closer together and I figured I better make SURE it was dead. Hammer to the skull did the trick.
These are good. Similar story but different, I have a young friend who is 16 now, but at age 12 he let his parents dogs tree a coon in an ornamental tree right off their front porch. He shot it with his .22 but had left the front door open so the wounded coon bailed and headed straight into the house with three labs chasing it.

One of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" stories I'm sure

I am in Dillon for the next 9 days if I run into an FWP warden I’ll ask about it.

My dad had a ruffed grouse fly into the side of his truck as he was going down the road to meet some guys to go .....grouse hunting. Cool, he thought, I already have one. Threw it on the seat and away he went. a few minutes later, he looked over and there it was, standing on the seat looking at him. They met eyes. Time stopped. The truck was rolling at 60 miles per hour. Inside the cab, the grouse exploded trying to fly out the window. My dad won by split decision in 7 rounds.

Haven't heard of this particular instance but my friend talked to a FS LEO two weeks ago who was driving that area who described multiple similar smaller scale instances on the border of BLM / Private. Landowner harvests an elk on a ranch, elk bolt, and then a slaughter as soon as they cross to public by a group of folks sitting in their trucks idling. So a measure of the levels of integrity amongst the average hunter were showing.
We witnessed a similar situation when I was down there last year. Must have been seventy vehicles bumper to bumper on two sides of that property as the landowner/outfitter's dudes were chasing elk around in the field. My brother had ideas of hanging around to see how it played out. "Are you nuts! Someone is going to get hurt if those elk come out. I didn't pay a pile of money for non-resident tag to be a part of this shitshow. This isn't hunting." It is so stupid. Disgusting.

Back