Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

If you know, you know

Yeah this is why I always question the notion that archery has more wounding, every year I hear shot bursts of 4 or more during both deer and elk rifle seasons, in WA and other states, and figure there's probably at least one wounded animal if not more coming out of it, pretty rare to get more than one shot in archery much less wound multiple animals. Opening weekend saw a wounded bull in one of these large herds on private near public in western MT that some complete jackass (happened to be from CA, pretty sure he was loaded on something) took credit for wounding, but his story was too confusing to understand for sure what had happened. Bunch of rigs along the road watching them on private. Next day heard 3 shots nearby and ran into an older guy and his son, following a weak blood trail a couple hours later. We ended up jumping the bull on our way out, never saw him but found the blood, and pretty sure a different hunter killed it shortly after based on hearing a single shot from where it ran.
Yep. I see some goofy crap like this on Facebook all the time. The majority of gun hunters are hunters that go out gun hunting for a weekend or two a year, and typically are awful shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221108-222721_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221108-222721_Facebook.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 120
Yep. I see some goofy crap like this on Facebook all the time. The majority of gun hunters are hunters that go out gun hunting for a weekend or two a year, and typically are awful shots.
I heard whats is maybe a urban rural legend about a fellow that shot a buck and upon making it to the dead buck couldnt find the bullet entry. The buck, being dead, was tossed in the bed - with topper - of said fella's pickup truck without being field dressed since it couldnt be driven right up to (as is the Montana way). On the ride home, chaos ensued as the rear window of the truck was kicked out by an angry deer along with a host of other damage caused by this thrashing beast confined to the bed - with topper - of a pickup. The rear was opened after hurriedly pulling off the road, and off the buck went. The thought is that the deer was knocked unconscious by a shot to one of the antlers.

I cannot verify the veracity of this story, though I have heard it - with names - on more than one occasion.

I heard whats is maybe a urban rural legend about a fellow that shot a buck and upon making it to the dead buck couldnt find the bullet entry. The buck, being dead, was tossed in the bed - with topper - of said fella's pickup truck without being field dressed since it couldnt be driven right up to (as is the Montana way). On the ride home, chaos ensued as the rear window of the truck was kicked out by an angry deer along with a host of other damage caused by this thrashing beast confined to the bed - with topper - of a pickup. The rear was opened after hurriedly pulling off the road, and off the buck went. The thought is that the deer was knocked unconscious by a shot to one of the antlers.

I cannot verify the veracity of this story, though I have heard it - with names - on more than one occasion.

This happened to my wife’s cousin…………… no broken windows but the buck jumped from the bed of the truck never to be seen again….

He’s a loser and shot it on a place he wasn’t supposed to be on was the reason for the hasty loading into the pickup.

This same thing happened to a buddy of mine at Ft Leonard Wood back in the 80s. He was a new hunter.
Shot a buck and realized he forgot his tag, so he walked back to his truck to get the tag... and then decided to drive in to pick up the buck. He had one of those boat seat cushions he used to sit on and decided to "lace" it into the bucks antlers so that nobody else would claim the buck as abandoned while he went after the truck.

When he got back to where the deer was left it was gone. He looked up and the buck was bucking and kicking in an attempt to dislodge the seat cushion, so my buddy shot it again.
He walked over and tagged it, then drug it by it's antlers to the truck and loaded it into the back camper shell.

On his way to the locker plant the buck came to and decided to destroy the topper.

He did manage to "subdue" the buck and finish his journey to the meat locker.

We were all hunting the same area that day but went our separate ways to hunt. Nobody wanted to huntnear this guy because he couldn't sit still and was always wandering around.

We had preplanned to meet together to share experiences and eat lunch early in the afternoon that day.
Upon meeting up this fellow told us he killed a buck. One of the group asked him what time he shot the deer as he thought he heard the shot. His response was: "Well I shot him at 07:20, then again about 08:00 and then at about 08:30. He then had us in tears while conveying the events of his morning. These times are made up as I don't remember the times he told 35 years ago!

One of my most memorable days of hunting.

These things happen all the time, all over Montana. Watched a raghorn get gunned down from the road Sunday. I've witnessed people opening gates (with no motorized access) and running down a herd in a side by side. People lose their minds over elk. Bloodthirsty madness

My brother and I were just talking about it. There's a frightening number of people out there who would kill the whole herd to kill one

Haven't heard of this particular instance but my friend talked to a FS LEO two weeks ago who was driving that area who described multiple similar smaller scale instances on the border of BLM / Private. Landowner harvests an elk on a ranch, elk bolt, and then a slaughter as soon as they cross to public by a group of folks sitting in their trucks idling. So a measure of the levels of integrity amongst the average hunter were showing.
Hard to get an elk on public these days….. 🤣

I remember hearing story's in Jr high of deer getting up and running away with the hunters rifle in it's antler's While he was trying to take a picture. 😂

Oh!

Since this has turned into the poor shooting topic, apparently, in addition to one about ethics - I was just reminded by another topic of an incident I witnessed.

A friend and I were getting ready to fly our birds out in some stubble on a bench on some BMA. Mid November so the rut was on. In broad daylight, a very nice whitetailed buck come trotting out over the far edge of the bench heading toward the other side where we were getting ready. We glassed it with the binos, noting it was a nice buck, then continued getting ready.

It took not 3 minutes - if even that - for the deer to be spotted by some road hunters. Three fellas in orange hopped out of a truck, MT plates, crossed the fence, then the fella who presumably won the rochambeau for trigger duty started blasting. Four shots later, the deer - having made it most of the way across the bench at this point and certainly no further than 300 yards if even that far - was 'down', but not quite dead. He was hit in the middle or hinds, and was now trying to drag himself thru the field with his front legs.

Finally, what felt like an eternity later, these fine hunters walked out into the stubble then put a couple rounds in the buck with a sidearm.

This is the Montana hunter I know (and love?).

(Serious, not serious, with that last statement).

A story like this, if true, would make the news cycle right? 27 wildlife/poaching infractions? Until I see some proof this sounds like a tall tale.
I assure you that the tale I told is as accurate as he conveyed it. This guy was a no b.s.- er. Serious as a heart attack, vietnam vet with a very somber "attitude".

Yeah, I always thought it was "drama for the camera" when a guy walks up and pokes a deer after shooting it.

I once shot a buck right behind the shoulder (about ten years ago?) breaking the off-side shoulder. I then took off some clothes and hiked my pack to the top of the hill toward the truck, retrieving my kill kit from the pack. Walked the half mile to the bottom of the ravine, leaned my rifle against a tree and grabbed the buck by the antlers. To say he came alive is an understatement! He knocked the kill kit out of my hand, knocked me over and began to run. He hit some grape vine with his antlers and kept pushing, giving me time to grab my rifle and shoot him again... about an inch from the previous bullet entry hole. He dropped dead.
In hindsight, the buck was laying on his legs/feet upright like a sleeping dog, with his eyes closed. After the incident I realized, after killing truckloads of deer in my life, that I had never seen a deer die with it's eyes closed.
To this day I don't know how he was still alive after all the time it took me to get to him. Some things are inexplicable, and this is one of those things.
I quit using Barnes TTSX bullets that very day and quit loading them.

A good friend brought his son’s first bull elk by this week for me to clean off. He killed it in the Lee metcalf. On way home, they stopped by the crapper corner crossing and videoed about 6 trucks racing up and down the highway to herd up a mob of elk along the road. Dozens of shots and clear hits, trucks racing back and forth, trucks parked in barrow pit, idling, empty and doors open. I have all the video on my phone. Oddly enough - no “outta staters”.

Frickin amateur hour man. Who posts something like that
Yep. That's a lot of MN gun hunters. If I were him, I certainly wouldn't share how poor of a shot I was on social media...

This is a lot of the same people who go "out west" for their "yearly hunt". I can only imagine it ends with a lot of shooting and cussing.

At least here in MN there isn't road hunters like there are in western states. Even ND has a ton of road hunters. Where when you have to hustle, it's because there's a deer and the driver has the brakes locked up...

Not gonna lie I have had a situation with a mule deer in Wyoming. Shot across the drainage maybe 220 yards but was offhand and not a terribly comfortable shot.

Thought for sure made a well place shot as the buck dropped right there.

Worked my way over to it with my dad who was also hunting at the time. Effing thing came back to life and tried to run off, but had no use of its rear end. I'm like .....shit.... Had to finish him off. I'm like DAD Help me hold this F#$@er down! He just laughed and said hell with that. So I channeled my inner highschool wrestler/hockeyplayer and tackled this mofo (didnt have a handgun on me) and finished the job with a knife.

I shot the rifle again that evening just cause I was suspicious... yup sure enough 6 inches high at 200 yards. The scope got bumped somewhere along the line.

I learned a valuable lesson that day to always check your zero before a hunt even if you are 100% sure its on. 1 round to double check wont break the bank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back