Idaho Sheep Story

Buck Fever

Well less than a week away from my Idaho Bighorn Crags Sheep hunt! I still can’t believe I drew the tag. It’s been a short 3 months of preparation but we are ready to hit the mountains. I’ve gone through every scenario over and over in my head to the point I’m tired of thinking about it. I feel very fortunate to be accompanied by my best friend and hunting partner Chad (ultrahunter), and another friend and sheep nut H. I can’t thank both them enough for taking time out of their busy schedule’s to help a friend, it means a lot.

Hours and hours of logistics have gone into preparing for this hunt. If some of you aren’t familiar with the Frank Church particularly the Bighorn Crags it’s a very wild place to say the least! I want to give another big thanks to T-bone. His expertise on hunting sheep in this unit is second to none. He saved us a tremendous amount of time logistically. He was kind enough to stop by the house during his vacation to pour over maps and specifics. What a stand-up guy!

Spent countless hours studying maps and finalizing equipment and food lists.
Sheep story (20).jpg

I got the go ahead from the wife to upgrade some of my equipment. Ordered a new tipi tent, stove, and a new pack. I’m super excited about the Kifaru timberline pack!
Sheep story (22).jpg
Sheep story (18).jpg

Went on several camping trips this summer with family and friends.
Sheep story (2).jpg
Sheep story (3).jpg
Sheep story.jpg

Landed a bunch of salmon this spring
Sheep story (9).jpg

Took my son out several times to shoot his new .22
Sheep story (4).jpg

Went to my cousins wedding.
Sheep story (6).jpg

Logged countless miles on the treadmill and foothills of Boise with a weighted vest.
I’m down 10lbs and feel pretty strong.:hump:
Sheep story (17).jpg

Sheep story (21).jpg

Couldn’t spend all summer screwing off so cut 6 cords of firewood for this winter.
Sheep story (19).jpg
Sheep story (8).jpg

Chad and I made a 3 day banzi trip into the unit about 3 weeks ago. Most of the trip was spent 1 foot in front of the other covering around 34 miles in 3 days. Although we didn’t have much time to glass we did come across some fresh sheep sign. ;)

Protection from the weather.Sheep story (11).jpg

On top of the world
Sheep story (12).jpg

Neat rock formation
Sheep story (13).jpg

Enjoy this short scouting video, no sheep but neat country!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elUqobaHvh0

The llamas are staying home for the hunt, it will allows us to be a little more mobile, although it would be nice to not have to carry a 50lb pack for 10 days. :eek:

Last but not least I want to give a huge thanks to my wife, Chad’s wife, and family for giving us the opportunity to pursue a life- long dream! You guys rock!

Last edited:
looking forward to this one...

How much does that pack weigh, and how much do you think you can haul out in it? Think it would be solid for 110-120lbs? I'm increasingly getting tired of hauling around a 10lb brick.

Aaron,

It's going to be epic!

You're doing it right, with the right attitudes, and for the right reasons.

I genuinely hope you kill the biggest ram in the unit.....after at least 7 or 10 days hunting. You don't want it to be too easy, like Oscar's ram.

Chad and H sound like some good friends.

Be safe and enjoy and document as much as you can. It's a hunt of a lifetime. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of my time in that unit chasing rams and goats.

Keep in touch.

I'm going to keep tract of this thread. Looks like you've done your homework and are ready to go. I've been putting in for my MT sheep for over 20 years now and haven't drawn, so until I do, I live vicariously through those of you that have! Good luck.

When I found out you drew that tag there was no doubt in my mind I would be in there to watch you shoot your ram. We've been on way too mant hunts together to let you down on this adventure! I Can't wait to get in there and start spotting sheep. I'm sure we'll do well but like T-bone said it will be epic no matter how it shakes out! The countdown begins!!!:hump::hump::hump:

Good luck, really looking forward to seeing the outcome. I'm seriously considering giving one of those units a try next year.

Best of luck on your hunt BF, sounds like you have some great company and have done all the homework you can possibly do for the upcoming adventure.
In a short 3 years time i will have my long service at work, 17 weeks paid leave taken whenever i want and in the duration i want, and this is the unit i will be applying for trying to draw a NR sheep tag. Apart from the unlimited hunts in MT, there is no other way this aussie will be able to go on a self guided solo sheep hunt.
I will be reading with great interest!
Good glassing and straight shooting when the opportunity comes.

Best of luck to you on this great adventure. Hoping to someday draw a sheep tag as well.

I've been to that trailhead. It was a pain in the a$$ pulling a horse trailer up to it. Good luck on your hunt, that is beautiful country. We caught lots of fish in the crags, and saw a couple of whopper black bears. We got caught in a nasty lightning storm by Cathedral Rock one day, kind of spooky!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back