Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho OTC tags today

After watching the Idaho tags go the only thing I can really think of is my gosh we need more hunters. We need to double down on our efforts for Hunter recruitment so we can get where it’s almost impossible to draw tag and when there’s a purchase period more resembles a black Friday morning at Walmart.

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with total hunter numbers.

Non-resident hunting trips used to be a luxury. When "normal" people are buying tags in a half dozen or more different states every year what do we expect?

I think Randy is going to have to rethink his saying, after not drawing a elk tag in other states you can count on Idaho. Just looked on the web site and looks like half the tags were sold in 24hrs
He mentioned this change on his podcast this week. With the price increase and the needing to buy a tag so early, Idaho is not a great option anymore.

Last edited:
I mentioned this change on his podcast this week. With the price increase and the needing to buy a tag so early, Idaho is not a great option anymore.
When after the draw on controlled hunts if you don't draw the cost to return the tag. Just wonder if people are really thinking this through

I was part of that rodeo yesterday. Experienced similar issues with the website, but that was to be expected.

Curious if there will be a leftover pool for residents to buy second tags this year.

I love western, public land hunting. My life’s path has taken me to a non-western state, so no matter where I hunt, I will be a NR. I accept that means I will always be a guest. I also accept that means I will pay more, and generally have decreased opportunity. If it ever becomes more than I can bear, I’ll have to face the decision of hunting less or uprooting my family and pursuing a new livelihood. That’s my choice to make. No state owes me anything. Each time I hunt as a NR, I’m just grateful that state accepts me as a guest, and I try to behave as a guest should and show residents (hunter and non-hunter alike) and the resource (game and land) the respect they deserve. I don’t expect anything in return.

The political process gives residents a voice. NR will speak with their $$$. It’s interesting to see the paths different states have taken.

I don’t feel entitled to it, but I am always grateful when residents recognize the revenue NR provide toward conserving and managing the resource and the local economies. I’ve been a fairly successful hunter, yet the amount of $ spent per animal harvested still represents a good return for the state.

I understand the animus some residents feel toward NR. I also accept that some NR’s give all a bad name. Instead of the in-fighting among hunters we so often see, I would love to see greater collaboration and partnership among residents and NR.

Fact is, hunting opportunity is under attack across the board. I think when working together both residents and NR’s can help conserve the resource, preserve opportunity, and advance our common causes.

Idaho has always been good to me. Thank you Idahoans for welcoming (or at least tolerating 😉) me. Hope Idaho remains a viable option down the line.

Honestly thought the system worked better than prior years. It wasn’t perfect but that’s also not a realistic expectation with the demand as high as it seems to be.

Yesterday there were 400+ Lolo B tags and now there are only 135. Still 50%+ of Panhandle B tags available. Fun hunts if anyone is interested. It seems like panic buying. I would be surprised if they sold this fast next year, although I am sure they will keep selling out.

😭😢😥😓😱
If you wanna hunt out west you gotta go thru some hoops. Deal with it or don't hunt out here. Idk how alot of guys manage in there hunts with how much whining is done about the tag acquiring processes in the different states.
This is so true! We live in a world or entitlement. Sad.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back