Idaho OTC tags today

I am old enough to remember buying tags in Idaho when you had to pick up the phone and call. There was no other option. If it was busy, hang up and hit redial. Tags sold out FAST, and you’d better have your shit together. Reading through this thread, I’m not sure how we were able to function.

Lots of panic buying. I see half the Middle Fork and Selway B tags are gone already. Might be the new normal.
I wonder how many of those people that are panic buying in the Middle Fork realize how hard access is and how rugged the Frank Church is. Most of them probably just saw that there were tags available and that you had an entire month to rifle hunt Elk. I would bet that a lot of these people end up turning their tags back when they realize how rough it is. Typically only half the resident Middle Fork tags sell.

I predict a lot of people panic bought a tag today and have buyers remorse in the next few months. I also bet we see a lot of drive by posts asking for help with a unit someone knows nothing about
I think you’re right, I for one was on the fence about getting an Idaho tag this year and was going to wait but after seeing this thread I didnt want to risk not Getting a tag. I was able to Get the same tag I’ve gotten the last 2 years and enjoy hunting the area so I won’t have regret but I’m sure others will.

Wow - that all happened fast! Guess I didn’t know what to expect this year, figured there would be some increased demand and things would move faster but holy smokes - things went WAY faster then I anticipated! Will be interesting to see how the dominoes fall now in other states/draws.

Wow - that all happened fast! Guess I didn’t know what to expect this year, figured there would be some increased demand and things would move faster but holy smokes - things went WAY faster then I anticipated! Will be interesting to see how the dominoes fall now in other states/draws.
I predict it will only get worse because those who didn’t get tags(me) will aggressively pursue other states they would have not bothered with otherwise(me again).

Im sure a fair number of tags will get turned back in. So anyone who missed out on this fiasco will get another chance at some tags in August. Some people are likely buying them as a backup plan, with intentions of turning the tag in if they draw a tag somewhere else.

Im sure a fair number of tags will get turned back in. So anyone who missed out on this fiasco will get another chance at some tags in August. Some people are likely buying them as a backup plan, with intentions of turning the tag in if they draw a tag somewhere else.
But remember with the new changes they will not get a full refund! It’s a sliding scale.
Matt
  • Postmarked before April 1 – 75 percent refund
  • Postmarked April 1 through June 30 – 50 percent refund
  • Postmarked July 1 through August 31 – 25 percent refund
  • Postmarked September 1 through December 31 – No refund

After watching the Idaho tags go the only thing I can really think of is my gosh we need more hunters. We need to double down on our efforts for Hunter recruitment so we can get where it’s almost impossible to draw tag and when there’s a purchase period more resembles a black Friday morning at Walmart.

But remember with the new changes they will not get a full refund! It’s a sliding scale.
Matt
  • Postmarked before April 1 – 75 percent refund
  • Postmarked April 1 through June 30 – 50 percent refund
  • Postmarked July 1 through August 31 – 25 percent refund
  • Postmarked September 1 through December 31 – No refund
I think there will be some hard lessons learned this year for ID NR hunters. I can only imagine the number of WTF looks on some guys faces when they look into their unit for the first time, or realize they are going to take a bath on returning their tags.

I got my elk and deer tags, but my best friend and hunting partner did not get his elk tag. I logged in a few minutes after him, and was lucky to land with only 800 people ahead of me in line. He was behind over 3000 people!

Does anyone know if wifi/internet connection speed plays a role in how quickly you drop into the purchase queue from the lobby everyone was waiting in?

I got my elk and deer tags, but my best friend and hunting partner did not get his elk tag. I logged in a few minutes after him, and was lucky to land with only 800 people ahead of me in line. He was behind over 3000 people!

Does anyone know if wifi/internet connection speed plays a role in how quickly you drop into the purchase queue from the lobby everyone was waiting in?
Supposedly it was all random.

I sure hope so. I would really like to hunt the same unit again that I did this year, but needed to wait on AK results in Feb. As @Duck-Slayer pointed out, that penalty will be painful for those that this was more of a backup plan.
Panic buying in 2020. It’s a mood.

Bunch of folks in for rude awakenings I feel like that bought “regular” tags in units that are controlled hunts for mule deer or have two point restrictions

Back