Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Late Elk

IdahoBugler

Well I was lucky enough to draw a 2nd chance late elk tag here in Idaho. I had never hunted this herd in November so I wasn't sure what to expect. A buddy and I went up 3 days early to scout and hunt deer but the weather had other plans. The first 3 days we were in white out conditions waiting for breaks in the clouds to glass and find something to shoot. We had seen a total of about 50 deer, the biggest buck was a 3X3 that was 22" wide, and 4 cow elk. Not a great start to my elk scouting.

On the evening before the opener I headed to a burn I like to hunt. I cow called and got a response from a bull a ways off but atleast we knew there was a bull in the area. We never saw him but figured it might be a place to start until we saw a huge pack string of horses that setup camp right on top of them. |oo Plan B was another burn I like to hunt so opening day we headed in 2 hours before light to got to my pre-determined spot. Just as it was getting light enough to see I heard a bugle, then another, then about 100 cow calls. We sat and picked the hills apart and found the heard 1/2 mile away. There was probably 100 head total with about 20 or so bulls. We put a stalk on what we thought was the biggest bull and I put a 200 yard heart shot on the quartering away bull. I was hoping to beat my biggest archery bull but this one falls just shy of that. But with the way the hunt had been going I thought I better get what I can get. He's a good bull and I'm happy with him.

P1030207.jpg

P1030210.jpg

The fun part. We were in 3 miles and it took us a total of 9 hours to get him off the hill.
P1030238.jpg

I was lucky enough to have a good buddy with me on this trip to help with the spotting and packing.
P1030196.jpg

P1030243.jpg

Now off to New Mexico. hump

Awesome! IB. Great lookin' bull. Sure is nice to have buddy with a strong back :)

Nice bull! Congrats! You know, those packs are a lot lighter if you take all those bones out. ;)

Oak

Great bull and pics. I really like that country alot. Bugling in November, cool. Is that rifle a Remington XCR? If so, how do you like it? I've been kinda considering one.

Nice bull! Congrats! You know, those packs are a lot lighter if you take all those bones out.
Oak, I agree about the bone. But with the limited time I had before my next trip I had to take it to get it processed. The place I like to take it to won't take meat without the bone. I boned out everything but the front and hind quarters.

Is that rifle a Remington XCR? If so, how do you like it?
TheTone, Yes it is, I bought it this year and absolutely love it. I topped it off with a Leupold VXIII with the B&C reticle and let me tell you that it's a shooter. Getting around 5" groups @ 500 yards with factory rounds. I've put about 200 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better everytime. I mostly archery hunt but I'm really starting to like shooting this gun. After this New Mexico hunt I'm going to get the trigger lightened and then I think it will be ready to go.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Good luck on the rest of your hunts.

Thanks, I'm also mainly a archery hunter (for elk anyways) and am kinda looking for a nasty weather/elk rifle and that one seems to fit the bill rather nicely. Again great bull and good luck in NM.

Great bull Bryce...I mean NIIIICCE. Best of luck with your remaining hunts this year.

Back