Ice fishing

I'm hoping a few higher lakes here will freeze in the next week or so, I have the itch pretty bad
BJ, we used to go up to Gross Reservoir and dangle green label eggs to the stockers in there, but bait for trout snagging has gotten a little more sophisticated than in the early 70's. Since it's part of the Denver water supply I don't know if it's still allowed or if the pothead front range drifters have taken it over.

Nice fish @BuzzH !

I laughed when I spotted your Mcgyver reel attachment to your rod. You are a redneck genius with that setup. (Meant as a complement…..I think I’ve done much the same in a fishing emergency)

Nice fish @BuzzH !

I laughed when I spotted your Mcgyver reel attachment to your rod. You are a redneck genius with that setup. (Meant as a complement…..I think I’ve done much the same in a fishing emergency)
Oh yeah, I've been taping reels on for a long time. That's actually a pretty big improvement over black tape.

Leukotape works way better, much warmer and better to grip. I've caught a lot of fish with setup...just a tip off a broken rod glued into a cork handle. Picked up the reel on a closeout deal for $9 about 10 years ago, still going strong. Probably have $12 in that set up.

Oh yeah, I've been taping reels on for a long time. That's actually a pretty big improvement over black tape.

Leukotape works way better, much warmer and better to grip. I've caught a lot of fish with setup...just a tip off a broken rod glued into a cork handle. Picked up the reel on a closeout deal for $9 about 10 years ago, still going strong. Probably have $12 in that set up.
That's how my Grandfathee built ice rods. mtmuley

Wierd year we had more ice in early December than we have right now. Almost thawed out here...waiting.

Its dog poop man. We had a couple days of safe ice here in southern MI right after Christmas and nothing since. Buddies and I are headed up state next weekend just to burn some cabin fever.

Anyways. I think it was you. If so, I'm going to draw 19 or 120. Trying to decide. I'd love to hear your thoughts on WY elk unit 19.

Finally made it out on the ice for the first time this season. Only caught four, all suckers 🤦‍♂️ :rolleyes:
I caught a sucker on the boat 3-4 years ago. My daughter who’s 7, still reminds me of it. “Daddy, remember when you caught that sucker fish?!” Sorry for the derail. I haven’t been out ice fishing yet.

Storm coming in tomorrow and the fishing was hot! 1 burbot, 1 eye and 9 or 10 pike today all on tip ups and smelts. Wasn’t till the last two hours I had friends show up so we could get more lines out. If we would have had 6 lines out all day we would have really slayed them. Two best pike were nice 35 and 36”
0137ABBD-A707-437E-868B-7960F5A1C499.jpeg8AAE509D-F58F-484D-86B9-D3D03CB3AA5A.jpegDA148532-57D5-4FB4-A37E-68D8F084DA1D.jpeg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back