Ice fishing

A couple winters past, I decided I wanted to get some underwater video of ice fishing. I didn't want to spend a bunch on an underwater camera so I did a little research and discovered that a GoPro can be controlled and viewed underwater with a phone on the surface. Bluetooth doesn't work through water, but by placing one end of an exposed coaxial cable next to the GoPro and the other end near my phone, the bluetooth signal will travel through the cable. There is about a half second delay, but otherwise it works pretty good. I rigged up my GoPro on the end of an extendable pole and wound the wire around the pole and up through the ice to a phone holder I have attached to my bucket.

I got some great video of trout fishing, but this winter I wanted to get some video of pike. It has been a struggle up till a couple days ago. Finally had everything fall into place and got this video over a couple of hours. Unfortunately when I upload the video onto youtube the image quality drops significantly, buts its still interesting to see what they are doing down there.

Ice around here was dicey at best, game fish is closed and we just got pounded with snow. We are done for the year.

Are you catching those pigs jigging or on tipups? Your pics are often in the shack, not sure. Just curious, slamming fish that size would be a blast either way.

Ice around here was dicey at best, game fish is closed and we just got pounded with snow. We are done for the year.

Are you catching those pigs jigging or on tipups? Your pics are often in the shack, not sure. Just curious, slamming fish that size would be a blast either way.
On tipups. I bring the tools out with me everytine I get a flag unhook the fish in the hole then quickly run to the shack for a picture and measurements. That’s the only way I can get nice pictures when I’m solo. I drill a hole next to the shack to release them from to minimize time out of water

Do you mark them and recatch any of them?
No I don’t mark any
I’ve found that pike often have distinct enough patterns that you can ID them from their spots. I learned one sleepless night that I’ve caught multiple pike at least twice.

Of course this is only really possible afterward with photos of the same side. I’m sure some AI could speed that process up and compare a lot more photos.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back