PEAX Equipment

Ice fishing

I've caught several thousand through the ice in Montana...haven't fished them much in Wyoming, yet.
That's interesting. I used to catch kokanee out of Flathead lake when I lived in Lakeside. Moved to oregon many years ago and couldn't catch them. So took a class in it and still have never caught one, not even by accident. Kokanee and Steelhead in Oregon both have me spoofed!

Last edited:
Since it was such a nice day I decided to spend the evening out on the ice in front of the house. Glad I made that decision as I caught this big girl along with a few other small ones. It has been quite a few years since I have iced one this big. She is back under the ice and hopefully resting up for another catch.

IMG_0971.jpg

DSCN9601.jpg

Nice fish, dang.

Looks like you got a flag back there perhaps?
Sure did! Had a little hammer handle on it. I've switched over to circle hooks when I'm not planning on keeping any. That little bugger had swallowed the smelt enough to where I couldn't see it down his throat. When I pulled on the leader it slid right out. He was never even hooked even though it took me forever to check it.

I haven’t tried circle hooks yet. I have had good luck with quick strike rigs and placing the two trebles in the middle of the smelt like just in front and through the dorsal fin and have had very few deep hooks

I’ve never used circles but I’ve heard people really like them, going to have to give them a closer look.

In the past I have always used 2 trebles on a quick strike rig or something similar. I used to hook them closer to the front and back of the smelt but tried moving them closer to the middle like Sask hunter mentioned. It helped a bit, but I still get about 50%-60% of the fish swallowing the smelt resulting in having to kill and keep them. Im not sure if it has something to do with the fish in this water body but they like to inhale them. Haven't had that problem nearly as much in the few other places I ice fish for pike.

I have only been using the circle hooks for a couple outings so far this winter and have mixed feelings. I've caught about a dozen on them so far and have yet to have to kill one of them. I did initially have a decent amount of fish get off, but that sometimes happens with 2 trebles too. I started inserting the hooks higher in the smelts body so more of the hook is exposed. That seemed to help and didn't loose any yesterday. I definitely think a quick strike rig is the way to go if you are planning to keep them.

catch and release is for the fancy pants trout fly fisherman

oops, did I say that outload?

I eat plenty of fish, but can only handle cleaning and eating so many pike. This water is also fairly polluted with old mine runoff and it is highly recommended not to eat large pike. The river has been contaminated with heavy metals since way back in the late 1800's but it got way worse after they took out an old dam about a dozen years ago and a bunch of the sediment caught behind it washed downstream.

Dang it! If it would ever turn winter here in the Hoosier state I would be doing some hard water fishing. Might just have to head to Wisconsin for a week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back