Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I Rolled The Dice.....

jaw002.jpg

jaw001.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys! Like Kurt said, I've had a pretty good fall! We all know there is always a fair amount of blind luck involved in killing the big ones, and we'll all take it as it comes...

I sure love the mystery of big mule deer bucks...I'd hunted that area for years and never knew that buck was there, other than some large tracks and oversized rubs. I believe some of those old smart bucks are almost totally nocturnal, and some of them avoid being with does in the daylight hours, even this time of year. I also believe some of those oldtimers don't even rut at all.

I'm betting he is at least 7 1/2 years old, looking at the wear on his teeth. I'll have a local biologist confirm it.

I think you might be under estimating the age a bit. Those molars are pretty dished out.

His body was healthy with a good amount of fat. I've killed larger bodied bucks, but he wasn't small through the body. Following a fairly easy winter, and a tremendous feed year could explain him still producing a set of antlers like that. If he was slipping out of his prime, I would sure liked to have layed my eyes on him at the maximum peak of his life....hope he left some of those genetics behind..

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back