Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I can't believe they can't fill these positions!

Just going to throw this out there...don't judge...how about a marijuana tax?

No Nope GIF - No Nope No Sign - Discover & Share GIFs

I have to say this thread has been an eye-opener for me in terms of what people make, or jobs pay. Living in AK we're a bit of an anomaly, where wages are higher, but cost of living is higher. Makes me also realize how lucky I am to have the job I have.

Lots of good comments about not paying high enough wages to gov't employees to attract more people. I think we do have some great people working in gov't office, many of them should be paid more, but some should get canned, like anywhere. We have a shortage of snow plow drivers, its been a disaster the last couple winters. Big snows, and streets not getting plowed for weeks. Emergency vehicles can't respond to calls, kids can't get to school, etc. The city won't pay completive wages.

You’re talking about states other than MT, right? I’m not aware of any FWP employee housing outside of maybe the fish hatcheries.

Yes. A friend of mine who worked for FWP left for WY recently. He said that his take home will be nearly double what he made in MT and that in larger urban areas, WY offers a $1200/mo stipend for housing or for wardens specifically, housing itself. The latter could be good or bad I guess.
The Wardens in locations w/o a regional office get a stipend for office space and most of them just work out of their home.

Also the notion that Wardens work 24/7 and don't have time to hunt or enjoy their personal lives is false. Yes you are probably working a lot of weekends but the job provides a great deal of flexibility. If you can stomach the low starting pay there are opportunities to move up and improve that.

The pension isn't as good as it once was but is still pretty dang good. Especially if you can sock a few more dollars away in deferred comp.

The Wardens in locations w/o a regional office get a stipend for office space and most of them just work out of their home.

Also the notion that Wardens work 24/7 and don't have time to hunt or enjoy their personal lives is false. Yes you are probably working a lot of weekends but the job provides a great deal of flexibility. If you can stomach the low starting pay there are opportunities to move up and improve that.
Not anymore, they lost home office allowance a few years ago, so their current salaries reflect having to pay costs from working from home now as well.

Depending on the district there is a lot of freedom during slower times, but man I do feel bad for them during hunting season.

[QUOTE="WanderWoman, post: 3694743, member:

Depending on the district there is a lot of freedom during slower times, but man I do feel bad for them during hunting season.
[/QUOTE]
Me too. Seems like people that don't really break the law during the year will during hunting season. Lots of people view hunting season as a free for all I think. mtmuley

23 years this year. Just broke $60k, and I have a masters degree.

If you want to dive into a snake pit and teach in Portland, as a result of a recent strike, in 3 years half of Portland Public Sch. teachers will have a $100K salary. Cost of living hurts too, however.

Tried to taken government job once, got hired and then took my physical and didn't pass the hearing part of the physical. I'm not deaf by any means but wasn't allowed to use a hearing aid. You'd think that was discrimination.
It’s “hearing impaired”, you ableist pig!

Wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of dropping the degree requirement. In talking with most wardens, they think it’s important too. As a group of people on here who care deeply about the resource and hunting, why on earth would we want less-qualified applicants?
because we want more applicants. I thought that was pretty self explanatory.

I hire for natural resource positions but not wardens. I would 100% take a person with real life experience versus a college degree in many areas of natural resources/park management. Unfortunately the system we have built requires a college degree when a college degree is not necessary.

Last edited:
But we also want quality applicants.

My agency has no degree requirement. We mostly hire a lot of former military and regular cops. Very few of them hunt, very few know really anything at all about wildlife identification or hunting, few are actually interested in warden work, and they spend most of their time chasing non-wildlife things, helping on non-wildlife calls, and detailing to the border. Granted, this is feds and not state, but the lack of any interest or skills in wildlife enforcement is frankly appalling. Its a revolving door where most folks are only staying a year or two then going to some other agency because they don’t like the game stuff. I wish we did have a wildlife or natural resource education requirement. I think we would reach a lot more people who actually are interested in and want to enforce game laws.

because we want more applicants. I thought that was pretty self
Except ‘more applicants’ doesn’t mean ‘good applicants.’

I don’t like to settle for less when it comes to the things I care about (natural resources, our public servants who steward and protect them).

Also it’s a slap in the face to our current wardens who are degree’d, that it’s acceptable to just lower the standards and continue to pay them less than what they deserve.

Except ‘more applicants’ doesn’t mean ‘good applicants.’

I don’t like to settle for less when it comes to the things I care about (natural resources, our public servants who steward and protect them).

Also it’s a slap in the face to our current wardens who are degree’d, that it’s acceptable to just lower the standards and continue to pay them less than what they deserve.
Would it be a slap in there face if they upped the starting pay?

Also, says right in that description, ANY BA degree. Biology or Law preferred but the way I read it, a BA In transgender basket weaving would still qualify. Make it make sense.
Why take any useless degree but not

-4 years of military
-6 years of trade school

I did It the right way. I have no school debt, served my country, carry a high security clearance, clean background, great credit history, actually have 12 credits in fish/wildlife biology, and an avid steward of the natural resources. Yet... they wont even look at my application. They rejected it and say I am unqualified. But will hire some jackass with an underwater basket weaving degree... sounds like their priorities are off and that is why they are hurting to fill positions... along with all of the other stated concerns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back