Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I can't believe they can't fill these positions!

peterk1234

Is it me or is this job posting not the most encouraging? I'd probably re-word this if they actually want to hire anyone.

It made me smile.

HELENA – Do you like to be in the Montana outdoors working with hunters, anglers and boaters? Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is seeking applicants to fill nine game warden positions.

“It’s one of those jobs where It’s not even a job,” said Region 6 Sergeant FWP Game Warden Andy Matakis. “It’s a way of life. It’s being that person in your community that people can rely on. No two days in this job are the same.”

To watch Matakis at work, click here.

To become a game warden in Montana, applicants must successfully complete the Montana Law Enforcement Academy Basic Course or have equivalent training.

Typically, a game warden is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to support field staff, respond to the public and address wildlife issues. Job demands are heaviest during weekends and holidays.

Wardens must be in excellent physical health. The position requires frequent climbing, bending, pushing, pulling, dragging and lifting. Duties include working with sick or injured wildlife; removing illegal kills; trapping and relocating animals; backpacking; horseback patrols; and operating boats, snowmobiles and OHVs. Good communication skills are also necessary as use of force incidents can occur. Wardens must be in excellent mental condition as they must deal with all types of personalities and stress levels.

Game wardens can experience potentially dangerous interactions with criminals while enforcing the law and can be subject to assault and encounter hazardous substances. Because of these potential situations, good communication skills and strong mental health are necessary.

“I like to say you earn your badge every day,” Matakis said. “It’s not something I take lightly.”

Women and minorities are under-represented in this job category and are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be subject to a full background investigation.

For more information, go to fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/enforcement/warden-hiring. To apply, click here. Applications will be accepted through Jan. 1, 2024.

Shit, me too. I could never be police because my parents said I can’t cop other people around til I’m perfect myself. And I know I got my own baggage. And I’m hot headed sometimes. Lol

But I could defend wildlife crimes, without prejudice.

I'd enjoy all the things most would see as downsides, hard no on that salary though... at some point I'd think that state agencies will have to stop making these positions essentially volunteer labor for the level of education and certification they want you to have.

They would get more applicants if they dropped the B.A requirement

Throwing money at government jobs creates a whole other suite of problems. Maybe we need different means to achieve the same goal as hiring unsuitable people to be wardens.

For the amount of hoops and red tape you have to jump through to get a low paying job, as well as other BS once you get the job... I can't believe people want to work for the government. You really have to want it and I'm glad people take them.

I think AK has more than 25% vacancies in government jobs.not was almost 40% at one point.

Meanwhile I just finished up a 2 hr nap, and about to pour myself a tall one and get back to it.

For the amount of hoops and red tape you have to jump through to get a low paying job, as well as other BS once you get the job... I can't believe people want to work for the government. You really have to want it and I'm glad people take them.

I think AK has more than 25% vacancies in government jobs.not was almost 40% at one point.

Meanwhile I just finished up a 2 hr nap, and about to pour myself a tall one and get back to it.
Tried to taken government job once, got hired and then took my physical and didn't pass the hearing part of the physical. I'm not deaf by any means but wasn't allowed to use a hearing aid. You'd think that was discrimination.

Tried to taken government job once, got hired and then took my physical and didn't pass the hearing part of the physical. I'm not deaf by any means but wasn't allowed to use a hearing aid. You'd think that was discrimination.
In Illinois? Did you call in a favor from an elected government official that you had incriminating evidence on? No? That’s why you didn’t pass.

Is it me or is this job posting not the most encouraging? I'd probably re-word this if they actually want to hire anyone.

It made me smile.

HELENA – Do you like to be in the Montana outdoors working with hunters, anglers and boaters? Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks is seeking applicants to fill nine game warden positions.

“It’s one of those jobs where It’s not even a job,” said Region 6 Sergeant FWP Game Warden Andy Matakis. “It’s a way of life. It’s being that person in your community that people can rely on. No two days in this job are the same.”

To watch Matakis at work, click here.

To become a game warden in Montana, applicants must successfully complete the Montana Law Enforcement Academy Basic Course or have equivalent training.

Typically, a game warden is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to support field staff, respond to the public and address wildlife issues. Job demands are heaviest during weekends and holidays.

Wardens must be in excellent physical health. The position requires frequent climbing, bending, pushing, pulling, dragging and lifting. Duties include working with sick or injured wildlife; removing illegal kills; trapping and relocating animals; backpacking; horseback patrols; and operating boats, snowmobiles and OHVs. Good communication skills are also necessary as use of force incidents can occur. Wardens must be in excellent mental condition as they must deal with all types of personalities and stress levels.

Game wardens can experience potentially dangerous interactions with criminals while enforcing the law and can be subject to assault and encounter hazardous substances. Because of these potential situations, good communication skills and strong mental health are necessary.

“I like to say you earn your badge every day,” Matakis said. “It’s not something I take lightly.”

Women and minorities are under-represented in this job category and are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be subject to a full background investigation.

For more information, go to fwp.mt.gov/aboutfwp/enforcement/warden-hiring. To apply, click here. Applications will be accepted through Jan. 1, 2024.
Terrible job ad! No wonder they are having problems attracting good candidates. Taco Bell has a better ad than this 🙄

One of the last jobs I’d want… no flexibility in the fall, incredibly ignorant people (hunters and admin), and little appreciation for the work. Many courts seem to roll their eyes at wildlife crimes in the few examples where perps are caught which is frustrating for wardens. FWP isn’t the only LE agency having difficulties hiring and retaining. Seems to be a deeper issue with the young working class.

I'd enjoy all the things most would see as downsides, hard no on that salary though... at some point I'd think that state agencies will have to stop making these positions essentially volunteer labor for the level of education and certification they want you to have.

$56k is a bad salary for an entry level position? Most teachers I know aren’t making that until well into their career.

$56k is a bad salary for an entry level position? Most teachers I know aren’t making that until well into their career.
Right, and there's going to be some hiring problems with teachers too.

But, hey, pay a teacher less than what they can make at McDonalds, I mean all they're doing is educating your kids.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back