Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

"Hunting"

SWMontana1

I just talked with a a few guys that I know (4 of them) and they are going hunting on Saturday... I told them that I had shot my first archery bull this October and since I shot it on private land they pretty much discredited me about knowing anything about hunting.... I hiked miles upon miles, studied the elk for months, had many close calls, put in my time, and worked very hard but that doesn't matter since I hunt on private land.

Apparently their idea of "hunting" is sitting in there truck, with the AM radio on, listening to the Cat/Griz game with there spotting scope over a valley and "if they see any elk they will get out and go shoot one".

I don't know why this rubbed me the wrong way and some of you may completely disagree but I DO NOT THINK THAT IS HUNTING!! They acted superior to me because I have private land (people must think because it's private land that the elk just bed down and hang out on the roads) and they are just sitting in the truck waiting for something to happen...... I'm sorry but I like to hike, be in the wilderness, have complete silence, and basically be one with nature.... not sit in my truck until something happens.

I guess to each their own but don't act like just because people hunt on private land that it's a "gimme"... get real!! Private land hunting is just like anywhere else... you have to be out there, they have to be out there, you have to find them, you have to get close enough without them noticing (seeing, hearing, or smelling you), and you have to make the shot)

What are your guys thoughts about this truck "hunting" and/or private?

I've seen alot of private land where hunting deer and elk is alot like shooting gophers in a field. Probably where they are coming from.

I quit giving a shit what people thought of how, when,or why I hunt a long time ago. Same as to what I care to hunt or shoot...my tags, my season, my choice.

As long as hunting is done ethically and legally...and you're happy with it..carry on.

Unless you own a huge ranch in Montana.... the elk typically do not just stay on certain land..... Especially around the Bozeman area!

Here is the deal...No matter Public Land, Private Land hunting is in in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion it isn't where you harvest your animal and how, its about the memories.

I have got on private land before but not because I know a guy or have family that has land. I did countless hours of research studying different areas (bedding, feeding, cover, access to other land both public and private around it) the time and effort you put into making the hunt happen is just as important no matter what it is private or public. anyone can try and gain access to private land, they just might have to put in some work... its there perogative wether they want to harass you for hunting on private or them wanting to sit in a truck on a piece of forest service or blm or what have you listening to a cat griz game hoping an elk walks by their truck....

bottom line...hunt how you want, when you want, but always be ethical to yourself the game animals, and our country wether private or public land hunting...

I am with BuzzH - he is wise and right on. Private land is certainly nice, a place to yourself is really, really nice. (AND. if you own private land here, you can hunt through December! more opportunity for the privaleged) Regardless, you said you 'know them'. You did not say you were friends with them, and this is just one example of why they are not. Good hunting.

I think you need an impartial third party.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll graciously take some time out of my own schedule and we can go hunt this private property for two or three days. After which time, I will report back to the truck hunters and give them an honest, unbiased assessment of how easy/hard it really was.

:D

I think you need an impartial third party.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll graciously take some time out of my own schedule and we can go hunt this private property for two or three days. After which time, I will report back to the truck hunters and give them an honest, unbiased assessment of how easy/hard it really was.

:D

How does the middle of February sound?? :D

BS on them, Just ask them if they want to join you. Their asses would be packed and loaded in your truck before you could blink an eye. John

Just because I bought my own land doesn't mean I won't be putting alot of time and effort into grooming the land and planting food plots and hauling water in to it. It's not a large piece of property, but there are some deer on it. I won't consider myself any less of a 'hunter' because I shoot deer on my private property. To hell with those jack offs.

Jealousy is a second emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something that the person values, particularly in reference to a human connection. Jealousy often consists of a combination of presenting emotions such as anger, sadness, resentment and disgust. It is not to be confused with envy.
Jealousy is a familiar experience in human relationships. It has been observed in infants five months and older. Some claim that jealousy is seen in every culture; however, others claim jealousy is a culture-specific phenomenon.
Jealousy is resentment against a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

It may be that “some” people think of hunting on private land, means that you have easier access to the game in question. More like you are hunting the fenced in animals or the homegrown animals. “Homegrown” meaning there is more than enough food plots to grow an exceptional set of horns and the deer/elk never leaves the property because of the food source. Or maybe it can’t because of the HIGH fences. Just as you said, they think it is a gimme.

My guess is pure jealousy. I used to hunt with my cousin years ago. Needless to say every time some one harvested a nice buck or any deer for that matter, he would get mad and pout for two or three weeks.

If their “truck hunting” is legal and they enjoy hunting that way then so be it. It is their decision.

If they have a problem with you hunting on private, it is their problem not yours. As long as you are hunting legal and ethical, enjoy your hunting.

I hunt private, and I hunt from a truck.... and I would not hunt in bad weather if Megan Fox was spread eagle on my bed ......;)

and... I give 2 chits about what anyone thinks or says about it.

Well said Buzz.

Unless you own a huge ranch in Montana.... the elk typically do not just stay on certain land..... Especially around the Bozeman area!

Uh, you kinda lost me on that one, I've seen plenty of elk that love staying on certain private land (big and small) around Bozeman

It sounds like you worked hard and earned your elk, but I have read stories online about a big bull that they worked so hard for on a high fenced ranch.

As long as you're proud of it who cares.

Back