Leftover elk tags

Andrewlonghi

I seen on the left over tag list that there's several private land tag still available for Elk, is this because of limited private land in the units or land owners just won't let people hunt on there land. I'm sure there's reason for it but I thought these tags would be few and far between.

I seen on the left over tag list that there's several private land tag still available for Elk, is this because of limited private land in the units or land owners just won't let people hunt on there land. I'm sure there's reason for it but I thought these tags would be few and far between.
There are always private land tags on the leftover list for much longer than the non public land tags. Getting permission or finding some private to hunt on can be extremely difficult if not impossible. Those tags also limit you to only hunting private. You cannot hunt public land with a private tag, but you can hunt both with a regular tag.

There are always private land tags on the leftover list for much longer than the non public land tags. Getting permission or finding some private to hunt on can be extremely difficult if not impossible. Those tags also limit you to only hunting private. You cannot hunt public land with a private tag, but you can hunt both with a regular tag.
I kinda figured permission to hunt on private land would be hard especially if the land owner has had some bad experiences. Are there large tracts of private land in some of the units?

There are good reasons that these tags are leftover. Some large ranches do not allow any hunting. I know of a couple of large ranches that do not allow hunting, or even graze cattle, turning them into "sanctuary ranches" for huge herds of elk late in the season. Elk like to go where there is plenty of grass and no hunting pressure. It can be frustrating to hunt areas with virtually no elk, and be able to see thousands of them in large herds on a nearby ranch.

unless you have intel from a land owner and permission - the PLO tags are not worth the time or money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back