hunting solo

jerrymckenzie

So a month ago I had 4 guys committed to go to Colorado, now here I sit 4 days before the application deadline and they all backed out on me. I am considering going alone, how many of you would go ahead and just go it alone.

I wouldn't even think twice about going alone. I plan my trips first, then invite a friend or two. The trip is not contingent upon their participation in any way, shape, or form.

I would go alone. Can be more enjoyable to share a camp with others, but at times, it is also more fun to just go where you want to go and follow what your mind and heart tells you to do. No way I would sit home due to some buddies getting their man cards rejected.

Go and shoot a big one and make them feel stupid for staying home.

I would go alone. Can be more enjoyable to share a camp with others, but at times, it is also more fun to just go where you want to go and follow what your mind and heart tells you to do. No way I would sit home due to some buddies getting their man cards rejected.

Go and shoot a big one and make them feel stupid for staying home.

Fully agree, don't let anyone hold you back. I learned long ago that it isn't worth giving up on your dreams and adventures just because someone else won't commit or can't get their stuff together. I'm a gregarious guy but I'm happy, more efficient and more successful as a solo hunter. By hunting the same areas annually, I've found and enjoyed the comradarie of fellow hunters who actually hunt there year after year. The folks who show up are the ones worth caring about.

Be there or be square.

I would definitely go. You only live once, don't let them drag you down. The high country of CO is awesome, it'll be worth it.

Hunt alone and have a plan to get that bull off the mountain even if it means 5 trips in and out on your shoulders. I spent 20+ days last year hunting on my own and it was the most relaxing and challenging 3 weeks I could have asked for. go for it!!!

Invest in an emergency locator beacon, like a Spot, for your own peace of mind and safety, and have a great time. Don't think twice about it.

I may not feel as confident as the rest of these guys, but was faced with same situation about 2 weeks ago. My first trip to CO was planned and it all collapsed due to major illnesses in the party (yes, we are bunch of older guys). I did not feel as sure about my abilities in the high country to go it alone and was able to find an outfitter with an opening (due to cancellation). I am sure others, and possibly you, would feel comfortable going it alone.

Last year I spent 10 days in North Maine Woods alone and loved it. Do what YOU want when you want and how you want to do it !!!!!

I hunt on my own a lot, and the older i get it seems more often then with company. I guess i tend to up and go when the weather etc lines up, often on short notice, and others have jobs with less flexibility, but i find the best way to learn and gain knowledge is on your own where all the decisions are up to you, good or bad and you soon learn to consistently make the right ones in order to be successful on the hunt as well as having a safe time.

Go on your own, use it as motivation, and don't worry about hunting parnters who are half hearted about going hunting.

I can relate. I sat out for 9 years waiting on my buddies to go back to Colorado to hunt elk. On year 10 I had had enough so I did it alone. I didn't hunt as hard as should have but I still saw elk and had a good time. I'm going back again this year solo because of another "buddy" bailed out on me last week. This year I'm jumping all in as I will be backpacking into the highcountry for 5 to 7 days.
I say give it a try. It may not be for you, but you never know. Life's too short to wait on your buddies.

2yrs ago I did 21 days solo in Co., absolutely go! I have one buddy who goes west with me & the few others that always talk about wanting to go. When I plan my trips I plan it for me, everyone else I tell them when the bus is leaving, if they show they go, if not I'm gone! Don't wait on others to do what you want to do. Make it happen!

I would go by myself - but I am a loner that really enjoys my own company. Some people don't do well alone so I guess only you can answer your question.

Patrick

My last-and best-Colorado hunt was done solo, as my regular partner had put in for a hunt in a different state. I had a blast. I did not have a partner to worry about and did everything on my terms. I killed a neat non-typical bull on that hunt.

I am 50 and more than half of my lower 48 trips are solo in the last 20 years. I never have to worry where others are come dark, nobody ever gets fixated on hunting the same patch or barren timber, I never cut short because my buddy got hurt, I always have the food I want, when I'm done I can leave, I don't have to waste valuable trophy hunting time packing a spike, I don't worry about snoring or farting in the tent.
I do enjoy hunting with others but I love hunting when it is just me and God and the mountain.
prepare to go OYO. Keep mentioning it here and I'll bet you have company eventually. If I am wrong you get to hunt solo...win-win!

The website is "onyourownadventures" what would you guess the response would be??? Like a spouse the wrong hunting partner is way worse than none. Go for it! Or if you chicken out you can get your tag fees back and re-group.

I rarely hunt with anyone else, unless I am with my kids. As I get older, my wife says I should take a partner. Think I'll get a Spot instead. Have a great hunt. mtmuley

Jerry, Are you familiar with the area? if not, think of it as an adventurous scouting trip for the first few days . Big new country can be intimidating at first, especially when solo. Most people do their best hunting when they are on their own . Here's a quote from a wise old woodsman and trapper " He who travels swiftest best travels alone ".

Back