Hunting season preparations, what did you do today?

I did nothing yesterday in preparation for hunting season. I spent the last 3 days out of town helping out in another area. I had to rush out of the hotel this morning and drive 3 hours to tend to the day old chicks that were delivered a day early. Once I got then tended to I had to rush into town to pick up a guys truck and equipment who decides to give me 2 days notice that he was moving after he had called in for the entire week on Monday. I finally make it home and drive over across the highway to bring my grandma’s garbage can out to the highway for pickup this morning. I hadn’t even managed to get my boots off before getting an emergency call due to the fact that the guy whose truck and equipment I had to pickup today was on call tonite and I managed not to realize it so I drive an hour back into town to take care of that. Whixh was a blessing in disguise because the issue that caused the emergency was with one of our clients and was pretty major so it was beneficial for me to be there tonite. Just got home and about to hit the shower. I have a huge day tomorrow due to the fact that I have been out of town helping in another area for 3 days causing my own responsibilities to pile up.

TGIF!

Loaded about half my truck with wood for my smoker and unloaded and stacked it in the garage. Also split a few more rounds of Hickory getting ready for the next time I fire it up. Yeah, I got 2 more deer tags in the mail yesterday. That will make 5 once I buy my 2 archery tags. :cool:

I've been paper tuning my bow today. I bought a new bow earlier this year and picked it up the day before Colorado went into stay at home orders. I've gotten to shoot it a lot but there has been this niggling feeling that the arrows aren't flying as good as they should.....well, I've a diagonal tear almost 2 inches long. Glad I started this now! I kept saying I was going to go back to the bow shop since they will help me or do it for me as part of the bow purchase but that just hasn't happened. Better to do it myself so I get to know my bow better anyway. I can't say enough about how great the Hamskea Trinity rest is. One allen bolt....two twists of the micro tune dial and I'm down to a left tear instead of a diagonal. Nice!

Got the ATV out and went for an extended ride. Battery needed a good charge and I felt like getting some air! Picked more sweet corn and probably lost a couple pounds sweating. All this work... :rolleyes: STILL not sure about Alaska. 2 weeks to go and now the wife is saying she doesn't know about going! CRAP! The salmon are starting to show up and I've got guns and fishing gear waiting! Grouse need their heads shot off! She "SAYS" I can go by myself. Yeah, right...

Paid off my truck a few days ago! Now I can properly abuse her!
Plus been taking walks with the pup to start her conditioning, we are up to about 2 miles before she gets tired now!

Got some Amsteel blue today and did the rope mods for my climbing sticks. Locked Brummel loops for the versa-buttons and just spliced back in on themselves on the other end to be able to chuck around a large tree. 9 feet long, found only one way to wrap these Hawk Heliums that allow them to stack without the tree cleats contacting the rope.
ropemod.jpg

Last edited:
Got some Amsteel blue today and did the rope mods for my climbing sticks. Locked Brummel loops for the versa-buttons and just spliced back in on themselves on the other end to be able to chuck around a large tree. 9 feet long, found only one way to wrap these Hawk Heliums that allow them to stack without the tree cleats contacting the rope.
View attachment 148196

Sweet. I am looking to refine my hang on stand setups in order to be able to more efficiently do hang and hunt style hunts. Climbers are great IF you can find a suitable tree in the right spot. Hang on's give more options as far as the type of tree you can set up on for sure.

Finally broke out the Meindl's out of the bargain bin sack purchased when Cabelas was cleaning house just before the merger. These come with the instructions first in German, and then English/French. Yard work break in day one is a resounding success. These are the nicest boots I have ever purchased for myself, and I'm a fan already.

Sweet. I am looking to refine my hang on stand setups in order to be able to more efficiently do hang and hunt style hunts. Climbers are great IF you can find a suitable tree in the right spot. Hang on's give more options as far as the type of tree you can set up on for sure.
I've never had a climber, figured they'd be a pain in the places I hunt. Have always had hang ons, public land in Missouri you can't use screw in steps etc. so I've had to move to sticks. Some people swear by saddles but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm liking the Heliums so far, they show up on camofire pretty regularly.

I ordered a case of 16 gauge ammo.
@JLS Hopefully you can join Rudy and I this fall here in Idaho. Lots of hoppers and other bugs for the young chukar to grow up on this summer. Let's hope this virus doesn't put the kibosh to another one of our outdoor adventures.

Today I loaded up another 100 rounds of .308 win. with 150 gr. Barnes TSX.

Last edited:
Bought a 14-ft tin boat last week. Been working everyday since, finally got it on the water after work tonight. Seems to have a small leak somewhere- I guess I'll find it later- but the motor runs great.

Three walleye in the boat in an hour or two. Not the greatest, not the worst.

I think I'll go for a run tomorrow morning, then go fishing again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back