MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting partner advice

You care because after a lifetime of racking up cool experiences, you eventually realize these moments are probably best shared. Otherwise the memory ends with you. That being said, your non hunting friends are really just that. Even after dragging them along. Catch 22

It’s not a catch 22. Be good with it or not. You can certainly hope the seed is well planted, but to expect it to be is only going to lead to disappointment.

"a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule."

He wants his friends to enjoy hunting as much as him, they are basically non hunters. Seems to qualify to me.

The acceptance portion is an entirely different conversation ☸. Maybe I'm wrong and his acceptance negates the problematic situation, any Buddhist on here?

It’s not a catch 22. Be good with it or not. You can certainly hope the seed is well planted, but to expect it to be is only going to lead to disappointment.

"a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule."

He wants his friends to enjoy hunting as much as him, they are basically non hunters. Seems to qualify to me.

The acceptance portion is an entirely different conversation ☸. Maybe I'm wrong and his acceptance negates the problematic situation, any Buddhist on here?

It would seem the solutions differ relative to the parties involved.

I'm pretty well entrenched in this issue, but I don't really have it settled. One thing common among my friends who want to get into hunting, whatever that may mean exactly, is that they don't understand the time investment. They are surprised that I take vacation time to scout, target shoot, hunt, and butcher. You can get it done all on weekends and holidays, but if you want to really understand any aspect of the process from scratch it's almost impossible to do it that way.

I am no expert on this, but when I have tried to introduce friends into new types of hunting, or hunting in general, I realized I spent way to much time helping them understand what to do while out hunting, and not nearly enough time helping them understand how to get out there. It seems to me that the biggest hurdles to new hunters are between their front door and the trailhead.....

My take is this...

It's not up to you to make sure they're life long hunters. Show them the ropes, how-to's, what-to's and let them decided if they wan't to hunt or not. It's also their choice. Maybe they just like spending time with you and don't really like to hunt. But, since you do, they're looking for common ground.

I mentored a local guy who kept coming around my taxidermy shop and he's totally consumed with hunting. I'm a diy hunter and I like sleeping on the ground and not afraid to do the hard yards. After several trips where he would poop out on me and we would end up staying in luxury hotels because he hates sleeping on the ground, we no longer plan trips together. We are still good friends and talk often but we both know that we have different approaches to hunting. I'm very much a diy in the dirt hunter and he's a " Book with an outfitter" hunter. Your friends might evolve into their own style.

Wow, didn’t expect this many responses! Thanks for the ideas, most of them are helpful and have valid points. I think it’s important that as we share information about hunting on forums like this, we also give eachother advice and encouragement about being a hunting mentor. While we may not be newbie hunters, we might be newbie teachers... and getting the advice from veteran mentors is really helpful. Thanks again!

I’ve been down this path with two coworkers and a brother in-law. One coworker has turned into a staple at deer camp every year and we have become even better friends. The other tried it for a few seasons, didnt have as much passion for it but is always interested in how things went and when the jerky will be ready! He’s a good friend as well but we spend less time together now with one less common interest My brother in-law is more in the it gets me away for the weekend and is interesting to talk about camp. Three guys, three different outcomes.
I can say in all cases I think they are more educated about hunting and could be advocates for hunting and conservation.

i just wouldn't sweat it, everyone's levels of priorities are different.

I'm probably that guy when it comes to fishing. if i'm free and my buddy offers for me to go fishing with him i'll go and I enjoy it but i just don't have the desire to buy a boat and go on my own like he does.

he has made it clear in the past talking about others when it comes to training his bear dogs: he won't beg people to come and he will only wait for someone being late within reason

for hunting if you guys do camp out at all maybe you pick the camp location then let them decide where from there each individual goes and leave for somewhere else after they all leave camp, turn them loose with baby steps

I'm in the same boat.
It's easy to find people to go on a guided hunting trip for free. partners when I set everything up, provide transportation, a place to hunt, do most of the meat care and processing, etc.

Fixed it... and yeah totally agree. Finding a good hunting partner is similar in difficulty to finding a spouse.

I have hunted with that guy and he irritates me sometimes too.

I find his snoring to be very annoying... he also seems to skip meals and then get really whiney

Entering into any relationship or human interaction with expectations sets yourself up for disappointment. Need to decide to accept them as they are and change you. Because you cant change others. I hope it works out in your favor.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back