Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

When out in the field there are two things that I absolutely ensure that I take care of: my feet and my multi-tool. Darn Tough socks are great. For boots, I’ve been very pleased with my Rocky boots. For my multi-tool it’s my Leatherman Surge. Dependable, stainless steel, it’s never failed me.

When out in the field there are two things that I absolutely ensure that I take care of: my feet and my multi-tool. Darn Tough socks are great. For boots, I’ve been very pleased with my Rocky boots. For my multi-tool it’s my Leatherman Surge. Dependable, stainless steel, it’s never failed me.
Rocky boots? You are the only person I've encountered who thought that brand was anything above garbage. A few years back I had a bad episode of plantar faciaitis due to worn out boots while hunting birds in Montana. I tossed them and bought a new pair of fancy camo Rocky boots at Big R's in Havre. Three days in the field and BOTH boots blew out the sides. The box was still in the dumpster with receipt so I hauled them back to the store. Dept manager came to customer service, took one look at them and said, "Well, that's crap! Go pick something else. Those are coming off the shelf!" To this day I have yet to see another pair of Rocky boots at that store.

Leatherman Surge is kinda overkill for a multitool. Only thing missing is jumper cables and wire feed welder. At $172 Can they're hardly a bargain! My miniature Gerber multitool fits neatly in the zippered breast pocket of my upland vest (I forget it's there most of the time) and it will pull quills from the dog just fine ... if the need ever arises ... and at a fraction of the price. Personally, I think multitools are greatly overrated. When was the last time I needed a bottle opener, scissors, or spoon in the field? Never! And a corkscrew on a Swiss army knife? What the hell for? My Browning A5 is almost unique in that it has obsolete slotted screws, but the fatheaded flat screwdriver tips in multitools would never fit. There is no such thing as one size fits all screwdriver tips.

Last edited:
Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants...$40-50 on sale pretty often

Black Ovis Merino on Camofire has been good for me

Nikon fieldscope ed50, ed82, or 60mm ediii spotting scopes w fixed wide eyepieces. If you "hunt" eBay with enough patience each can be had for $400-500 and optically far outperform anything in that price range.

Lightly used compound bows...the depreciation on a new bow is insane

Last edited:
Rocky boots? You are the only person I've encountered who thought that brand was anything above garbage. A few years back I had a bad episode of plantar faciaitis due to worn out boots while hunting birds in Montana. I tossed them and bought a new pair of fancy camo Rocky boots at Big R's in Havre. Three days in the field and BOTH boots blew out the sides. The box was still in the dumpster with receipt so I hauled them back to the store. Dept manager came to customer service, took one look at them and said, "Well, that's crap! Go pick something else. Those are coming off the shelf!" To this day I have yet to see another pair of Rocky boots at that store.

Leatherman Surge is kinda overkill for a multitool. Only thing missing is jumper cables and wire feed welder. At $172 Can they're hardly a bargain! My miniature Gerber multitool fits neatly in the zippered breast pocket of my upland vest (I forget it's there most of the time) and it will pull quills from the dog just fine ... if the need ever arises ... and at a fraction of the price. Personally, I think multitools are greatly overrated. When was the last time I needed a bottle opener, scissors, or spoon in the field? Never! And a corkscrew on a Swiss army knife? What the hell for? My Browning A5 is almost unique in that it has obsolete slotted screws, but the fatheaded flat screwdriver tips in multitools would never fit. There is no such thing as one size fits all screwdriver tips.
Guess I got the one good pair then. They’ve held up great for me this past year. A perfect fit and as comfortable as bedroom slippers. Never a wet foot.

As far as the multi-tool goes, I don’t want to carry a toolbox out in the field. The Surge wears on my belt, and has always done me well. Can’t think of a device that is as helpful.

Guess I got the one good pair then. They’ve held up great for me this past year. A perfect fit and as comfortable as bedroom slippers. Never a wet foot.

As far as the multi-tool goes, I don’t want to carry a toolbox out in the field. The Surge wears on my belt, and has always done me well. Can’t think of a device that is as helpful.
I guess you did. After those three day-old boots blew out I posted a bad review on another outdoors forum. The response was overwhelming ... and negative about anything with Rocky brand. I was not alone!

I have yet to unfold my Gerber multitool. I can't think of any use for it in the field except removing porcupine quills (which is why I finally bought this one) and maybe a very poor backup if I happen to somehow break my hunting knife. In camp it's redundant as there's always a tool box in the vehicle.

I mean I'd rather have a FWD corolla than a RWD truck going over berthoud pass in a snow storm any day of the week.
Berthoud Pass! Holy Cow! My aunt took me skiing there once - sheet of ice! Damn-near killed myself on the "moguls" (ice bergs).

Vanguard Veo 2 carbon fiber tripod. Take the stupid rubber feet off, and you've got a $150-ish platform that competes with $500+ tripods.

Kifaru Gun Bearer. I think one of the best purchases I made.
Kifaru meat bags
Sherpa lined deer hide mittens.
First lite gaiters (or any other good gaiters for that matter)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back