Hunting Desert Dinosaurs..

havgunwilltravel

Well that's at least what my mate was describing to me on the phone the other week when talk turned to camel hunting and he said it was about as close as we could get to chasing dinosaurs around in the desert. I was in my lunch room at work and one of my colleagues was listening to the phone call and when i got off the phone she asked if it was ok for her and a friend to come along on the hunt. I was quick on my toes and told her it would be ok so long as they cooked the meals and were our bar girls. She compromised and said perhaps it better we cook and the girls keep an eye on the esky. So we struck a happy medium, booked tickets and soon enough found ourselves landing interstate, picking up a car, driving 7 hours into the night in very remote country with hardly another car on the roads.

The outback is truly amazing, its a place i find serenity from the hustle and bustle of daily life and the complications often found from living in a big city.
Eventually we met my mate who works as a professional roo shooter, he had a couple more roos to knock over for his night before he was done and i gave him a hand with that.
Sleep came easy when we got to his house and a few hours later we were packing the 4wd to push off even further into the bush. The dusty roads deteriorated and eventually all that was left was a narrow two track running parallel along the dingo fence.

The elevated view from up top on my mates landcruiser tray was helping us see further into the bush and scrub as the girls took turns driving and learning about 4wds, sand and corrugations, so far so good with the girls and the complaints were few and far between.
The dingo fence is an Australian icon and has been used to keep dingoes and feral game from crossing through public lands and into farm country where livestock is a precious commodity and the number one prey for the dingoes.
Eventually after 100kms on the dirt we located a fresh set of camel tracks, decent in size and made that morning.

The bull had padded the road like many before him and was trying to work out how to get across the fence and over the other side. Some just push it over, other step over, but either way the camels aren't liked in the outback and their numbers are controlled at every opportunity by most ranchers and government agencies.
We passed this skull on a fence post and also saw dozens of dead skeletons rotting in the sand from previous encounters with hunters and ranchers who all carry a gun in this country.

The sign at times was quite thick with heavy browse on native shrubs, tracks, droppings and beds in many places.

I was trying to work out what tree species the camels were eating in this area and putting together all the pieces of the puzzle as to why there was a lot of sign in certain habitats and a lot less in other areas. I find it challenging but good fun to keep the brain ticking over hunting different species in new locations as it all becomes relevant and fits into the bigger picture of adapting and being versatile when you need to.
Covering country in the 4wd may not have been the most sporting method of camel hunting, but the country is simply huge and so vast that distances do need to be gained in order to increase odds of animal encounters. Especially in areas with marginal or pressured populations of camels.
We nearly hit the 200km mark for the day when eventually a bull camel was located in a small clearing. I wasted no time and took a front on neck shot with a spare rifle of my mates. The little .25wsm spitting out a V-Max dropped the bull on the spot, and as we walked up to the huge beast i put a finisher in the armpit. He was done and we all stood there in awe at the size and the features of this outback dweller. The girls didn't hesitate to get in for some pictures and we all were happy to have finally come across a camel.

Their pads were amazing.

By the time we got him sorted, took a few good cuts of meat it was getting on in the day so set up camp on a sand ridge and us guys cooked dinner while the girls set up tents and took a few pictures. A simple camp is efficient and practical when constantly on the move and pushing further into new areas. They had done plenty of travelling, but never been into the outback and were enjoying all it had to offer.

In the morning, one of the phone picked up a signal, and the girls thought it best they send a message out to let family know they were ok and we hadn't hit 'Wolf Creek' as yet. But the signal was weak, so my mate climbed a tree to get a bit of extra height and that did the trick.

I thought my mate might have been putting on a bit of a show for the company, but when he dropped down a metre then started swinging of the horizontal branch and doing a few morning chin ups 4 metres off the ground i knew he had spent a little too long out west by himself!
Continuing on we had a big day ahead of us and there was always something to look at. From the wild flowers, to keeping an eye out for dingoes and camels to searching for opal there was never a dull moment. I collected a few different rocks for my boys back home and i quite enjoyed taking pictures of these ant nests.

Last edited:
I was just noticing yesterday that you hadn't posted in a couple days, and figured you were out hunting something. NEVER would have guessed it was a freaking camel!

Awesome. Great pictures.

Well after lunch and maybe another 200kms put under the tyres that day i thought i seen the head of a dingo looking at my from its bed in the shade of a shrub. We backed up but it turned out to be a male kangaroo and just as we were about to push on the girls said what about that camel standing there in the bush off to the right. It was only our second sighting and i was into action pretty fast. A few shots later and some hits and misses resulted in a bull and its previously unseen mate pushing deeper into the heavy cover. Crap, that wasn't what we wanted, so my mate and i both filled pockets with bullets and raced out there. Well i can lie and say the bulls were taken cleanly, but after some more work on the triggers one went down and the other eventually fell over after a pursuit. We headed back to the 4wd to get the girls and cameras and on the way back the first bull was on its feet and moving pretty quick. I had to go sought him out and that was an epic chase to put it mildly. It involved a tracking job over tough ground.

Followed by me loosing his marks on rocky ground and with daylight running out i did a big loop to pick him up but it didn't work as there were tracks going everywhere and then my mate eventually located him and i was glad to see him bight the dust with a few empty cases scattered around.

He was a good size bull as well and no doubt had seen many a shooting star in the desert sky and padded many kilometres on his endless search.
The other bull we finally got a close look at as it was almost sunset and we knew he was the best bull out of those that i had taken on the trip. He had a big broad skull, plenty of character to his features and immense body size.

The girls were good sports and helped us do some field work with the knives followed by a long walk back in the dark to the 4wd where we set up camp and enjoyed a well earned beer or two.
Next morning i put a big cardboard box out at 100 metres and fired off a couple of shots. The .25wsm had scope issues and was shooting about 3 foot out, no wonder there was so much gunfire the evening before! We finished the circuit we wanted to travel, finally hit a small town, stopped in for a look at how the civilised people were doing and raced back down the road to my mates camp and onto his property further south. It was a massive days driving that capped off a fantastic adventure and before we knew it morning had arrived and we were getting on a plane back to the big smoke.
It seemed surreal that only 24 hours before we were about as isolated as you could get, living off the land, not seeing another person, travelling roads rarely driven, looking at animals that probably had seen very few humans and now here we were, in the rat race, just like our outback hunt and never even taken place...I think work this week will be pretty tough, but we will have memories of big camels and outback sunsets to help get us through the busy times.

Last edited:
Wow a camel hunt is not something I had ever thought of. Congrats and thanks for sharing. By the way how is camel meat?

Now that's an adventure! I thought I'd never see another dead camel after Desert Storm/Shield! Congrats on your very unique hunting trophies!

Wow a camel hunt is not something I had ever thought of. Congrats and thanks for sharing. By the way how is camel meat?

Camel meat isn't too bad. We got some nice steaks out of the first bull as he was reasonably young, but like all game meat, it needs to be prepared properly. He was tasty enough and it certainly would be a good resource if you lived out there.

Yeah Dustin, a different adventure, but certainly good to mix it up a bit, just got to have the drive to make these types of quick getaways come together.

Way cool!! That looks like it's just too much fun. Congrats...on the hunt as well! ;)

hump_day.jpg

Is it ok if I post the picture of your dead camel with rifle on Facebook tomorrow when it is all lit up with "Mike, Mike, Mike, guess what day it is" and "HUMP DAY" posts?

P.S. - Awesome

Always an interesting write-up and view HGWT, thanks. Didn't realize how large they were.

Wow, I learned something new. Had no idea there are free range camels down there. And I now know what kind of boots one wears when one goes camel hunting.

great storie and pix . i hope you left the drinking to the girls and stayed close to the fire doing the cooking . but if i remember from our last hunt you do watch the cooler better then you cook lol
also stop leaving all the pix of those friendly snakes out of the write up

Congrats, cool write-up. I remember reading about the camels in the outback years ago, but never heard of anyone actually do a write-up of a hunt.

Thank you for sharing.

Is it ok if I post the picture of your dead camel with rifle on Facebook tomorrow when it is all lit up with "Mike, Mike, Mike, guess what day it is" and "HUMP DAY" posts?

P.S. - Awesome

No worries using a camel picture.

Always an interesting write-up and view HGWT, thanks. Didn't realize how large they were.

Harley they were a bit too large for the .25wssm and .223 we had on board..got it done, but it could have been a bit easier using the larger calibres i had at home in the gunsafe. Next time i will take a .30 calibre or a 9.3x62 to put them down a bit more efficiently.

Wow, I learned something new. Had no idea there are free range camels down there. And I now know what kind of boots one wears when one goes camel hunting.

Oak the girls were worried about snakes, spiders and all the thorny plants that put spikes into your legs and feet so they had the gumboots on to make sure. But by the end of the trip they were either in thongs or barefoot and not too worried about a few scratches here and there.

Great photos and very interesting hunt. Someday I hope to make it to Australia and if it happens hopefully it includes some kind of hunting.

Easy as if you get over and need to hunt something. At the moment huntfit is up north and im down south, so normally somebody could organise a day or two on the hill trying to kill something a bit different to what you might be used to.

great storie and pix . i hope you left the drinking to the girls and stayed close to the fire doing the cooking . but if i remember from our last hunt you do watch the cooler better then you cook lol
also stop leaving all the pix of those friendly snakes out of the write up

Just a couple quiet beers during the day and a couple at night is all you need in that warm weather. After all it was a holiday JB.
Didn't see any of these either, was a bit of a shame. My mate likes catching them...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back